Will planes fly if the US declares war with Iraq ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
Do you think US passager planes will fly if the US declares
war with Iraq ?

Does anyone have any experience when the Vietnam or
Korean wars were going on ? Did passenger planes
still fly ? Thank you all Vets :)

We would be ALB to MCO on NorthWest in May.

We really want to go back and visit Mickey.
Our reservations are in already.
DH, DS, DD and myself will be VERY disappointed :(
if we have to cancel.

Our alternative....
I am still, though, looking into a week in PA visiting,
Philly sites, Hershey and Penn Dutch.
My DH also has some family in the Philly area.

Thanks for any advice ;)

Unless the U S government grounds commercial airlines/closes the airports for some reason (like they did shortly after the tragic events of 9/11), the airlines will continue to fly. I do not think comparisons with Korea or Vietnam are relevant to Iraq. The world has changed. JMHO. YMMV.

God bless the men and women who have served/are serving in our armed forces. Their sacrifices made/make our quality of life possible.

They flew during Desert Storm 10 years ago and during the war in Afganistan in 2001. The only way they would shutdown would be an immediate safety threat (like 9/11 as Carol said). It would paralize the country, especially the business world. I flew to Hartford a couple weeks ago to attend a 4 hour business meeting, up and back the same day (airfare $695!). I never knew how busy the airport was at 6:30-7:00am!

Yes Airplanes will fly. Had very few changes to my schedule throughout Desert Storm. The company at times was short staffed, due to the large amount Reserve Military Pilots called up for active duty.

They will indeed fly unless doing so poses a security threat.
Count on the war to begin on or after the 17th, and count on the planes to fly as scheduled.

But with gas prices going higher than they've been in years and the economy dipping more than we've seen in years, unemployment rates rising and the cost of even a short war not promising to be pocket change, the concern would not be whether the planes can fly or not...

Also depends on whether the war stays on foreign soil or is on US soil.

Yes they will continue to fly, though there may be modification to scheduling and aircraft (based on personnel issues). Also be ready for ticket prices to increase or at least the fuel surcharge to increase.

As for getting people upset about whether the war is coming onto US Soil. The war is already here, it started September 11, 2001.

Miss Jasmine, I think the OP was speaking of the war w/Iraq, not the war on terrorism. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Yes the war on terrorism has been around longer than 9/11.

Some larger planes could be "drafted" to fly troops.
A number of airlines are "picked" for this service (usually widebodies B747,767 etc.) to transport troops,equipment,food etc. News Article

n2mm, Well not to turn this into a debate, there's the debate board for that ;) I have to disagree. I think the war on terrorism and the future war with Iraq is one of the same. Is Saddam not a terrorist? Does he not terrorize his own people? Is he not a threat to world? Does he not have the means to supply other terrorists with weapons and supplies?

I was in what was still the USSR when we began desert storm, and I flew home while it was still going down. Our country can't afford to not fly.

Amazing the perspective you get when you are out of the country...

I think the OP was speaking of the war w/Iraq, not the war on terrorism. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Yes the war on terrorism has been around longer than 9/11.

Sorry Ms Jasmine, have to agree with n2mm on this one.
The government has not proven that Iraq and Sept 11 attacks are related. The war with Iraq is with "the purpose to disarm" Iraq... Regardless of North Korea playing with missiles under our noses, cost of the war to our economy and the world's, our unemployment rate and whether people can even afford to go on a vacation in the following months.

Now, back to our scheduled thread...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter