Will it be worth it?

Diana ZP

Mouseketeer
Hi-I am supposed to be going to Disneyland the 2nd week of December-4 days as of now. Not meaning to be a Debbie Downer with any of this! Well maybe going...cannot get my friend to commit and after reading a bunch of the reports etc on the boards am not sure it would not be a chaotic mess anyway. This past year has sucked the life out of me with work, relationship and basically life issues, as I am sure most of us has gone through. I have enough money to stay anywhere thanks to all of the overtime I have put in, do not mind wearing a mask (live in one for work, feel naked almost without it, and am fully vaccinated), just wondering if it is worth it??? Thanks!

Hi-I am supposed to be going to Disneyland the 2nd week of December-4 days as of now. Not meaning to be a Debbie Downer with any of this! Well maybe going...cannot get my friend to commit and after reading a bunch of the reports etc on the boards am not sure it would not be a chaotic mess anyway. This past year has sucked the life out of me with work, relationship and basically life issues, as I am sure most of us has gone through. I have enough money to stay anywhere thanks to all of the overtime I have put in, do not mind wearing a mask (live in one for work, feel naked almost without it, and am fully vaccinated), just wondering if it is worth it??? Thanks!

Stay onsite and be ready for it to be busy. If you're just looking for somewhere to "escape to," I think Disney will still be well worth it. You might not hit all the rides you want and some of the stuff might still be missing (World of Color, etc), but it'll still have that Disney charm.

I'm looking forward to the music at the DLH. I'm looking forward to walking about and seeing the sights and sounds. Obviously I'm looking forward to the rides and attractions, but I've been before and hopefully I'll go again as things continue to smooth out. I'll still enjoy it even if I can't hit the popular rides or attractions. If you've got the money to blow, then go ahead and do it. If you're having to put something else on hold, or it's a toss up between two different trips, then you need to start to really factor in all the little things and see if it's worth it.

If it's just "hey, I have cash in the bank, I'm sick of staying inside for 18 months and only working, I wanna go back to Disney" go for it.

Stay onsite and be ready for it to be busy. If you're just looking for somewhere to "escape to," I think Disney will still be well worth it. You might not hit all the rides you want and some of the stuff might still be missing (World of Color, etc), but it'll still have that Disney charm.

I'm looking forward to the music at the DLH. I'm looking forward to walking about and seeing the sights and sounds. Obviously I'm looking forward to the rides and attractions, but I've been before and hopefully I'll go again as things continue to smooth out. I'll still enjoy it even if I can't hit the popular rides or attractions. If you've got the money to blow, then go ahead and do it. If you're having to put something else on hold, or it's a toss up between two different trips, then you need to start to really factor in all the little things and see if it's worth it.

If it's just "hey, I have cash in the bank, I'm sick of staying inside for 18 months and only working, I wanna go back to Disney" go for it.
Thanks! I have been before so not getting to do all of the rides won't be a big deal, am even thinking of going solo if my friend will not commit. Just need something happy again I guess! But I do not like waiting in long long lines and trying to walk through a bunch of crowds! Went early October in 2019 and it was awful-way too many people. I know the crowd calendars aren't very accurate but it reads as though the first couple of weeks in December, weekdays, is not a super busy time.

I personally don't think going to Disneyland is worth it if you're on the fence about it. Tickets are quite expensive and there's a lack of shows, fastpass, etc. Virtual queues also mean that there's a risk you won't get to do the top two rides. For less money, you can travel elsewhere in the US and stay at much nicer places. Most vacation destinations are cheaper than pre-pandemic. If there's any other place your friend would be willing to go, that may be a better option unless you absolutely only want to go to Disneyland and nowhere else.

Looking at the reservation calendar, weekdays in early December will probably see decent sized crowds. Perhaps a bit better than early October 2019 but not much. If Genie+ is out by then, either lines will be worse or you'll have to factor that in the cost to your trip.

I am not so much on the fence as she is...I have been watching the Disneyland Hojo cam and just want to be somewhere happy I guess. Get away today has good prices on tickets and hotel combos too...have platinum status for Marriott which should help.

But I do not like waiting in long long lines and trying to walk through a bunch of crowds!

Based on our experience last Weds-Sun, if this is the case, it may not be worth it for you. This was the very first trip we left feeling like we didn't get our money's worth and it was due to big crowds, an inability to hop in the mornings, and long lines and not even just for the rides, but also for things like churros or Mickey head ice cream bars. I waited in line for 15 minutes twice for Churros- and those 2 days, I got in the line when it was shorter than I had seen it at other days and times. I didn't even stop at the ice cream carts because the line was huge. Dole Whip line was only about 10 minutes at Tropical Hideaway though. We waited 30 minutes for Little Mermaid----- the time for Space Mountain was posted at 30 minutes and we were in line for over an hour.

That said------ by the time of your trip, it is very likely that Genie + will be an option. If you are okay booking that and can handle walking through crowded pathways, it may very well be worth it. If we could have had Genie +, (and although I hate it I would have happily paid Lightening Lane for ROTR and WS last week after the stress and disappointments in trying to get boarding groups- and Disney is fully aware that desperate people will pay), I think our trip would have been a lot less stressful and we would have had more fun. What really saved our trip was the Halloween party- now that was great.

It’s gotten busier since reopening in April, but it isn’t the oppressive sea of humanity that DLR had become prior to Covid shutdown.

I visit at least a couple of times a month…sometimes weekly. I was just there today,
it’s totally doable and it’s a busy week.
Don’t set crazy expectations and I think you’ll have a magical time. Sounds like you need a little pixie dust!
From today around 10am
F2D3B586-C969-48FE-BB10-FDFF6035F0BA.jpeg54CE2AAF-33DF-42DE-BF7E-1797AA8DB47D.jpeg

I’m here right now. It’s not worth it, at least until Genie+ makes it’s debut. Lines are long and several of the rides keep breaking down. We went to the Aulani this past May and I’d choose that instead all over again. Not to say we haven’t had a good time at DL. But it’s pretty grueling.

We've been 10+ times since reopening. It's definitely busier; but certainly not precovid busy.

We have next three weekends reserved but may let them go until our 30th OBB and 31st. DL.

Can't wait for Genie+ to return; but holding off on it until annual option returns (guessing $150-200)

We’re coming at the end of the month for Halloween. We have a 2 day hopper plus the OBB. So we’ll be in the parks 3 different days. After reading report after report about how bad it is at DL right now, I’m starting to wonder if our trip is a good idea. Whether Genie+ is a good thing or bad thing, I seriously doubt it’ll even be an option yet while we’re there. I expect it to begin November 2 (the day we leave) or after.

Obviously our tickets are non-refundable and we’re flying SW. So I could change some dates and use the balance towards new tickets at a later date. But I’d be eating the OBB tickets. And I wouldn’t lose anything if I canceled our hotel or shuttle service.

I’m considering my options right now. Does anyone know how to switch dates on tickets. Can this be done over the phone/online?

I’ve been twice for quick trips- 2 days June 22-23, 3 days Sept 13-15. It was the hit of happy I needed. That said, I rope dropped, got out in the middle of the day for a rest back at the hotel, and did quite a bit of table service meals for a break from the crowds. I missed the parades, F! And WOC, but I didn’t miss the crazy crowd control that comes with those shows. The crowds weren’t bad.
Lately though I’ve been watching the park app, and the wait times are unbelievable! A little after 10 am today, lines looked as long as they usually are at noon. I’m hoping that was fall break and Halloween party crowds, and it will settle down by December, when I’m doing another quick solo the 2nd-3rd.
I dunno, Disneyland is always worth it to me, even if it’s less than stellar. I say just go with the flow and adjust your expectations. 🙂

I don’t know why this picture is sideways but this a picture of the crowds at rope drop this morning. It was insane.

Attachments

• D13CBAB1-0816-4278-95F5-5E7CD505B665.jpeg
    D13CBAB1-0816-4278-95F5-5E7CD505B665.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 88
I don’t know why this picture is sideways but this a picture of the crowds at rope drop this morning. It was insane.
I remember ROTR days. Those were what is packed.

We did HS in xmas of 2019 for ROTR --- boy, that was an experience!

I remember ROTR days. Those were what is packed.

We did HS in xmas of 2019 for ROTR --- boy, that was an experience!

This isn’t even for ROTR. This was on our way to Haunted Mansion Holiday. Indiana Jones broke down so they diverted traffic to Haunted Mansion and Pirates instead. Indiana Jones is notorious for breaking down, but I’ve seen a lot more rides than usual breaking down on this trip which might also account for the longer lines for the rides that are operational. The line is also generally long this time of year for Haunted Mansion overlay but I guess we’ve never really experienced the long lines because we always got a MaxPass/Fastpass for it. While I hate the idea of paying more money for Genie+ and LL, I would have paid it if it was available for this trip. It’s also hard waiting in very long lines with little ones.

OP, the second week of December should be ideal. I'd definitely recommend you go solo if your friend doesn't join.

This last 2 weeks has been absolutely NUTS, but that's typical for early October and early to mid December is usually not that bad. Plus, the holiday festivities make it more magical.

Since you have the money to spend, my recommendation is just stay at the Grand and be done with it. And splurge on Genie+ and IAS rides just to keep things low stress. I mean, if all you want to do is escape to your happy place, it will be worth it. Allow yourself enough days so that you don't feel pressured to get things done in a short period of time.

It's not going to feel the same as it did before, but it will still be a nice escape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter