Will dining be private tables now?

csmith1004

DIS Veteran
We usually request a private table when we cruise but I was wondering if the days of sharing tables with strangers is over? Can the ships even accommodate everyone without shared tables?

I think this will be hard for groups of 2. We've sailed and been paired with others twice (1st cruise at a table of 6 and 2nd cruise with just one other couple). We didn't mind it.
But, no, I don't think they'll be able to do this for everyone.

We're on the 8/6 3 night on the Dream. When restrictions eased, I called to request a private table and the cast member told me that all tables will be dedicated to the sailing party - there will be no mixed party tables. For now, that is
I hope that's true. I know for some, eating with other cruisers is part of the experience, but for us it's not something we prefer.

I usually also put in a request for a private table but didn't this time for our September cruise assuming that all tables will be private.

I think it depends on the definition of "now." I do believe that in 2021 when cruises first resume that'll be the case. I'd be surprised if that is still the case next summer when the Wish debuts--that ship is so huge and has so many staterooms and guests. Private tables for everyone just does not sound feasible. And based on what I saw today, it looks like they are selling all rooms, all categories, and not holding anything back to facilitate distancing.

Doesn't the Wish have about the same amount of state rooms and passenger count as tbe Dream class?
Hmm, I stand corrected. Although the wish is physically larger than the Dream class it seems it has the same max number of guests.

Still, as with WDW, I would expect cruises to start out distancing and eventually remove restrictions.

If this is a trend going forward, I could see them removing the round tables and making all the tables rectangular 2 and 4 tops. This would allow them to rearrange the dining more easily.
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to this permanently. Eating at a shared table with another party does involve a lot of germs. Facing one another in close proximity for an hour+ with no masks, sharing a bread basket, etc. It will be hard to see DCL going back to shared tables anytime in the foreseeable future (and by that I mean years out, not just after the initial reopening period). So many people just won't want to do it, and DCL themselves won't want the germs to spread more than necessary. Switching out large tables for small ones is a relatively easy answer to this, although it will probably require more servers. Space between tables won't be huge, but it will be better than sitting right next to or across from the other party.

Except that families of 5 are pretty common (DCL has a whole class of staterooms to accommodate them) and it is also quite common on cruises to have families cruising together, creating larger parties. Since tables are affixed to the ground on cruise ships so they don't tip over/slide in rough seas, it makes more sense for them to have tables of 8 and seat smaller parties together than to have tables of 4 and 2 and split up families.

it makes more sense for them to have tables of 8 and seat smaller parties together than to have tables of 4 and 2 and split up families.
Past tense. It made more sense. Pre-Covid. I think the importance of not dining elbow to elbow with strangers is going to override convenience of table placement going forward. Which is fine as so many people preferred private tables anyway- now DCL won't have to keep trying to accommodate that as a special request. It will just be the expectation going forward.

Moving small tables around as needed is probably just going to have to be the way they do things in the future.

Past tense. It made more sense. Pre-Covid. I think the importance of not dining elbow to elbow with strangers is going to override convenience of table placement going forward. Which is fine as so many people preferred private tables anyway- now DCL won't have to keep trying to accommodate that as a special request. It will just be the expectation going forward.

Moving small tables around as needed is probably just going to have to be the way they do things in the future.
Well, I guess disney is planning for 2022 attitudes rather than 2020 because on the images released, all the tables look to be for parties of 4, 6 or 8, not 2 and 4.

I can’t see that lasting. Large tables will be back. There are plenty of people still not afraid of others and who enjoy that as a part of cruising.

RIght? I'm one of them. I'm not particularly a social person, but I don't mind spending a couple of hours a night with strangers. In fact, sometimes, when we get lucky and have nice table mates, we actually enjoy it.

I'd assume for the next year or so it'll be private tables and over time go back to the larger tables.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!