Will DCL follow suit?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
With the 15-25% rise in the price of APs at the world, does anyone anticipate a very large increase in cruise fares in the coming months or year?

With the 15-25% rise in the price of APs at the world, does anyone anticipate a very large increase in cruise fares in the coming months or year?

The fares will continue to rise at their natural rhythm, which is when the blocks of cabins in a cabin category on specific sailing sell out, the next block of cabins in that cabin category on that specific sailing will release at the new (higher) price point. They will not arbitrarily increase cabin prices across the board.

The fares will continue to rise at their natural rhythm, which is when the blocks of cabins in a cabin category on specific sailing sell out, the next block of cabins in that cabin category on that specific sailing will release at the new (higher) price point. They will not arbitrarily increase cabin prices across the board.
Oh, ok. Just made me wonder that is all.

I am guessing DCL will continue to raise prices. However the last 3 cruises we have been on the ship has been short between 400 and 500 passengers each. With 3 new ships coming I would think DCL will want to keep the boats as full as possible. But they will probably following the strategy of the parks... raise the prices so much that is doesn't matter if attendance is down. Your still bringing in the same $ of more.

I imagine that DCL and WDW have different price drivers. APs are going up probably in anticipation of higher attendance due to GE and other new attractions. That's different than DCL. DCL is going to be driven more by fuel costs, numbers of - and speed of - bookings, and new popular or less popular itineraries. What happens as they bring on new ships is anyone's guess since we don't know where they're going to be going. I've no doubt prices will go up - prices on everything typically go up all the time - but I don't see it being linked to AP pricing.

What's your definition of "arbitrary" here? Cruise itineraries absolutely increase every single year for starting fares just like tickets to the parks all go up pretty regularly.

I imagine that DCL and WDW have different price drivers. APs are going up probably in anticipation of higher attendance due to GE and other new attractions. That's different than DCL. DCL is going to be driven more by fuel costs, numbers of - and speed of - bookings, and new popular or less popular itineraries. What happens as they bring on new ships is anyone's guess since we don't know where they're going to be going. I've no doubt prices will go up - prices on everything typically go up all the time - but I don't see it being linked to AP pricing.

There's no "probably" about it. Disney has stated directly that they are raising AP prices in preparation for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

Even with the increase in cost of the AP's, it still makes more financial sense for us to go that route to cover our two upcoming visits.

Oh I’ve no doubt DCL prices will increase but as already mentioned...the latest AP hike was to minimize new APs being issued in response to SWGE.

It blows my mind just how much the AP has gone up, I was a pass holder in 2013 and it was about $600

I don't think so. DCL has a lot of competition. They also have to heavily discount rooms to cast members and travel industry workers to sell cruises out. I know a lot of people that love the Disney parks, but won't pay DCL prices. There are a lot of great cruise lines to choose from and there's always the parks if you need a Disney fix.

I don't think so. DCL has a lot of competition. They also have to heavily discount rooms to cast members and travel industry workers to sell cruises out. I know a lot of people that love the Disney parks, but won't pay DCL prices. There are a lot of great cruise lines to choose from and there's always the parks if you need a Disney fix.

I agree. DCL doesn’t have anywhere near the competitive edge that WDW or DL have. And DCL isn’t really bringing anything “game-changing” to its existing ships to justify a price hike like the parks did with Galaxy’s Edge.

Also, the AP price hike was, as already noted, meant to curb attendance at GE. DCL doesn’t really have those capacity problems. Cruise attendance is a finite and known quantity. No one is going to show up at PC and have to wait six hours in line to board due to crowds. No one is going to show up at PC and be denied boarding due to “capacity issues”.

What's your definition of "arbitrary" here? Cruise itineraries absolutely increase every single year for starting fares just like tickets to the parks all go up pretty regularly.

Arbitrary here means in the middle of a released cycle of itineraries/sailings. The raising of the prices at new release compared to the last release is just the cost of the new sailings.

Arbitrary here means in the middle of a released cycle of itineraries/sailings. The raising of the prices at new release compared to the last release is just the cost of the new sailings.

Makes sense, but I wouldn't call ticket price increases at the parks arbitrary. They're planned, announced, and have dates when they become effective. Much like you don't get advanced notice of starting prices for cruises there isn't a long advance notice for when park ticket prices go up.

With the new ships coming online I would expect that prices will fall. It is simple a supply and demand issue. If they are having trouble filling the ships prices will fall. If cruises are quickly selling out then prices will rise.

With the new ships coming online I would expect that prices will fall. It is simple a supply and demand issue. If they are having trouble filling the ships prices will fall. If cruises are quickly selling out then prices will rise.

If it were nothing more than whether they can fill the ships or not (pure supply and demand), I would completely agree. I think that prices will NOT fall, however, as adding ships will also almost certainly lead to many new itineraries as well. That means there will be more item offered which will increase demand to match supply.

If it were nothing more than whether they can fill the ships or not (pure supply and demand), I would completely agree. I think that prices will NOT fall, however, as adding ships will also almost certainly lead to many new itineraries as well. That means there will be more item offered which will increase demand to match supply.

Agreed. I doubt they will put those three new ships in the Caribbean. There is already tons of supply there. I'm guessing they will be sailing them all over the world where ever they can develop itineraries that can fill the ships.

Agreed. I doubt they will put those three new ships in the Caribbean. There is already tons of supply there. I'm guessing they will be sailing them all over the world where ever they can develop itineraries that can fill the ships.

Actually, at least one is slated to be homed in Canaveral. I would expect that to be doing Caribbean itineraries - taking the place of either Fantasy or Dream and doing longer, likely?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter