Will a three year old enjoy Sea World?

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
We are going to DL/San Diego in late June. I'll be four months pregnant by then and we are considering doing Sea World instead of the zoo. We have a very nice zoo in STL and thought maybe we'd do something that our three year old son doesn't get to see often, like whales and dolphins. What do you think? Will he enjoy Sea World?

We have annual passes to the SD zoo and Sea World, and our 2 year old loves both of them, but definitely prefers and adores Sea World. Your 3 year old will probably love it too!

Yes.

My first three-year-old enjoyed Seaworld more than Legoland. We just went again last month and my current 3 yo loved it too. You will have a great day.

First show
See Dolphin jump up out of water and touch ball suspended over pool.

Second show
See Seal jump up out of water and touch ball suspended over pool.

Third show
See otters jump up out of water and touch ball suspended over pool.

Fourth show...
you get the picture

But my kids loved it when they were that age.

Yes.

My first three-year-old enjoyed Seaworld more than Legoland. We just went again last month and my current 3 yo loved it too. You will have a great day.
I am planning to do the whole LegoLand+SW San Diego trip in July. Looking at their respective websites....I got the impression that my 3 year old Son would enjoy LegoLand more then SeaWorld.

When I look at the SeaWorld rides and attractions....most of it seem to center around shows and some rides for kids.

Was there anything in particular that your kids liked about one above the other?

My kids liked the pets show.. It was really good.

Only problem with the 2 year old.. waiting for the show to start. I could never have enough snacks...

We are going to DL/San Diego in late June. I'll be four months pregnant by then and we are considering doing Sea World instead of the zoo. We have a very nice zoo in STL and thought maybe we'd do something that our three year old son doesn't get to see often, like whales and dolphins. What do you think? Will he enjoy Sea World?
YES! ENJOY!!!!

I think for most 3 yo, they would love Sea World. We've never gone w/a 3yo, but went when DD was 2 (and DS's were 9 & 7) and again when she was 5 and she had a great time both times. We did a few shows, and, like others suggested, had lots of snacks/things to do while we waited for shows, 'cause you gotta get there kind of early. The biggest hits for DD were the dolphins, the sea lion and otter show and Shamu.
But, they have so many interactive things to do. They loved feeding/petting the dolphins, the tide pool area where you can touch the star fish, the manatee and polar bear exhibits, the shark area. DD was big enough this time to go on the rapids ride, as has been tall enough to go on our local amusement park one for a couple of years, so that might be an option. The rides just weren't the draw for us. We were so happy that we were able to find a place where everyone enjoyed themselves for the most part together, which is harder to do at "ride" places with the age span we have.
One of the biggest draws at Sea World for the little ones is the Happy Harbor area, which is right in the middle of the park. Bring/wear a swim suit, 'cause there's tons of spaces to get wet.

My dd was almost 3 when we went to sea world the first time and she loved it. We didn't do the ride thing, but she loved the animals. It was great.

3 year olds will love it. Ive nver been to Sea World, but i've taken my 3 year old nephew to our local aquarium to see the whales and he LOVED IT!

My then-2 year old loved it, and I'm sure he will love it when we go again!

Looking at the dolphins in the tank where they can swim right by the "underground" window, then walk up a bit and can put hands into water.

He loved loved LOVED the Petz Rule! show. That is a DO NOT MISS show, I'm serious. My childfree brother and SIL became kids again watching that show, and they joined FOR it. They live in Chula Vista and will spend 2 hours at SeaWorld, just to see the Pets show...it's a great little show, and we all enjoyed it more than the dolphins or Shamu shows!

There's a great play area for kids, and DS loved the musical instruments like triangles...spend something like an hour there. Loved looking at the can't-recall-their-names dolphins at the Atlantis ride hanging out with his uncle, while his mama went and did the ride. :)

Loved seeing the Budweiser Clydesdales (and one miniature donkey).

Loved the Polar Expedition thing, though we didn't do the "experience" part of it, just walked through the line to not do the "ride". Got to see walruses and beluga whales, and polar bears...all of which are at our local zoo and aquarium, but he loves them all the same! Got to touch the ice wall in the polar area...

Saw penguins, saw manatees...

There's just SO MUCH there for a kid. Go go go! And see "Petz Rule!" :)

sigh...I am now rethinking the "don't go to San Diego" part of our upcoming trip....augh!

YES your 3 year old will love Sea World :thumbsup2 We just returned from Southern California and my 3year old granddaughter loved Sea World :cool1: she could not ride any of the rides but we did Disneyland/California Adventure and LegoLand before Sea World she so was okay with that ;) we played at Shamu's Happy Harbor while the big girls went and rode the rides :)
Have snacks and consider the time before the shows as a rest time for feet - I saved places and then the rest of the group joined me about 15 minutes before the shows and it didn't seem to cause a problem. :woohoo:

I worked at Sea World in Orlando for over three years and never met a 3 year-old who didn't love it. Kids love watching animals, make them exotic and you can't lose.

One word of warning, Be aware that if the park is busy (and in August it should be) that one person saving seats inside a stadium while others are outside does not always turn out well. If the stadium reaches capacity they will close it. I have no idea how often this happens in San Diego but in Orlando each show did it several times a day in peak seasons. "Someone is saving me a seat" is used by everyone whether it's true or not and is no guarantee that the rest of your party will be allowed to join you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter