Why you should not use Turbo Tax

Is it possible to use the previous edition, download a patch to update it to the current version (minus the unwanted) software?

No jeff they use different forms for each year. That's why tax preperation software is such a cash cow, you have no choice but to buy a new version every year.

Thanks, Alex. I just returned TurboTax and also Quicken - since it was free after rebate. I bought TaxCut Deluxe, TaxCut State (free after rebate), Money 2003 Standard (free after rebate), and Kiplinger Home and Busines Attorney (free after rebate). Sure hope I remember to send in for those rebates! :)

Thanks for the information, Alex. I have used Turbo Tax every year for the past few years too. I'm glad I lurked here before I bought this year.

I wonder if Intuit does this to any of it's other software. I work for a nonprofit and Intuit bought out American Fundware this year...the accounting software we use. hmmm, makes me wonder.

Intuit is getting hammored for this on Amazon.com. There are 229 reviews for TT Deluxe on Amazon, with an average rating of 1 star out of 5. The complaints about the new spyware are almost universal in the reviews.

Another thing I learned they did to the basic edition, they disabled the feature that allows you to import last year's Turbo Tax information into the current year. You have to buy the delux edition to get that feature now.[Update] This turned out to be incorrect. Apparently TT still has this feature. Sorry for the confusion.

How could such a great product become so lousy in just one year?I was a faithful TT user until today (I even recommended it on the DIS yesterday), but I just bought my first copy of Tax Cut becuase of these changes. Thanks for the heads up Alex.

Thanks Alex, I had been thinking about getting that. I do have a cd-writer, but my computer doesn't have a whole lot of resources to use and abuse. Thanks for the warning.

:(

Looks like last year may be our LAST year for Turbo Tax. :( We do not have a CD/RW, but I know that we can't afford to give up any of our sparse resources. And we only use the Basic Edition and since we can no longer import the previous year's information it makes Turbo Tax very unattractive to me now. We do 3 tax returns each year - one for DH and me, and one each for Michelle and Ann.

I guess I will give Tax Cut a try. If Microsoft is smart - then I will be able to import the Turbo Tax info into Tax Cut. I know that you can do that with Quicken and Money.

Looks like Intuit may have shot itself in the foot this time. :confused:

WDWHound - I was just looking at my TurboTax Basic Box (bought it last week, but have not opened or installed it yet) and it says that transferring of 2001 Turbo Tax and Tax Cut information IS included in Basic.

So now I have to rethink things...I will have to see if Tax Cut can transfer 2001 Turbo Tax info into it.

Decisions, decisions...

I almost considered Turbotax, but I think I'll stick with good old paper and pencil! Either that, or go to www.irs.gov like Vacationeer mentioned.

FYI-
You don't have to actually install Turbotax on your computer if you don't want to. You can do your taxes online and pay the fee all at Turbotax.com. You don't have to purchase the software at the store and you don't have to install it! A basic EZ costs 9.95 and the 1040 is 19.95, Deluxe is more. I've always done it online.

Holly

Originally posted by BethR
WDWHound - I was just looking at my TurboTax Basic Box (bought it last week, but have not opened or installed it yet) and it says that transferring of 2001 Turbo Tax and Tax Cut information IS included in Basic.

So now I have to rethink things...I will have to see if Tax Cut can transfer 2001 Turbo Tax info into it.

Decisions, decisions...
Thanks Beth R, I stand corrected, I read that it could not import that information in the reviews on Amazon, I should have verified it before I repeated it. I will go back and update my post.

BTW:Tax Cut will also also read last years Turbo Tax return (at least it says so on the box, I haven't installed my copy yet).

I looked at that online thing and that would definitely work without screwing up your computer.
I personally refuse to do it as I am not giving any more money to a company that pulls a sleazy move like this one.

Hi Alex! The board fixes seem to be workng nicely!

MarkRG bops WebmasterAlex on the head!

I had a relevant question; when you mean low-level format, you mean 'Format C: /S /U' right?

I've had to do this before with a piece of software that really caused trouble with my cd-rw.

My tax situation is that I hanv't used any tax software for years now, but am glad I don't as I used to use this one! :/

Instead of software companies looking for legitmate ways to protect their investment, they regularly turn to iffy ways to cover themselves. :(

No it's actually worse, I don't know if you have been around long enough remember the old drives, you had to do a low level format before doing a regular format. With the newer IDE drives it is done at the factory and should normally never need to be redone. It requires a special utility from the drive manufacturer.
Here is a link to some more info.

Low Level Format info

I think it is insanity that they put something on our drives that requires this to remove it.

Ohh man, that IS nasty. I definitely go back that far, I have experience going back to the DEC reel-to-reels. I was hoping you wern't inferring going that deep. That is way beyond nasty. It's one thing to do some kind of os level copy protection, but a piece of installed software should go nowhere near the boot record level of the dirve.

For those of you who don't follow this discussion at this point, think of the hard drive as a box of paper, you write(data) on the paper. This is like going back to the paper manufacturer and changing the media the paper is made out of. You just don't do this to a hard disk, there is risk of permanently damaging the hard disk, nevemind the interference to the cdrom and operating system.

I agree with Alex, avoid this product completely, if possible.

That's what got me Mark! I have seen copy protection before but this is obscene, aside from that issue they replace one of your services!

I have always used TaxCut, being primarily a MAC user I didn't like Turbo Tax for the MAC as it was named MacNTax, which sounded too much like a HeartNTax to me.
But, this year I got a free will maker with my TaxCut.
I am having so much fun:
My Cuio Size 7 1/2 shoe collction goes to ******
My Arts & Crafts Parrot Appliqued Tea cozy with matching tablecloth and napkins goes to *****
My Retro 50's Stainless Steel Penguin Ice Bowl with matching Tongs goes to ***
I have so much stuff this will keep me busy for a year or so.
And!! I can change it daily as to how people treat me.
I'll have so much power and control and nobody will even know!

Thanks Alex!

We had used TurboTax the last few years and just recieved a copy in the mail. I will not activate this disc and will purchase TaxCut. We had used this I think three years ago but switched when a CPA friend said Turbo was better.

I will also be sending a note along telling the folks who put out TurboTax why I did not choose to use their product.

Oh, wow, one of the clueless here and I so appreciate the info, Alex! Scummy is right! :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter