Why the DHS Parades Have Been Discontinued

So are they saying that the technology used in the parade is "obsolete"?

Gee, I hope the parade makes it back in less time than the Lights of Winter. :rolleyes1

So are they saying that the technology used in the parade is "obsolete"?

Gee, I hope the parade makes it back in less time than the Lights of Winter. :rolleyes1
Took the thought right outa my head. That was the first thing I thought of....wonder if they're going to call it 'obsolete technology'???

Ya know, someone should have said when they were proposing this system - "What Frequency Does This Operate At?"

There are only a couple of common frequencies for RFID. Some are commonly in use, like 2.4-5.8 GHZ (WiFi / Bluetooth), where others are less commonly in use, like 13.56 & 433MHZ. The less commonly used ones are also most commonly used for short range (<50').

Did they just mess up and pick the wrong one, or were they trying to hedge their bet and make sure the readers would read, even at a "distance". I'd be concerned at the latter - I know you can read RFID from a real distance away, and I'd rather not be ID'd, location-wise, from every cashier's stand in the park.

Does anyone out there know what style / frequency the current RFID systems use?

James
The cancellations of the parade and DCR have nothing at all to do with RFID frequencies. If it did, they'd have to close most of the shows and parades at WDW and disallow personal wireless communication devices from Guests and CMs. This does not seem likely.

Although the Lights of Winter comment did run through my head too ... :rolleyes1

:earsboy:

Ya know, someone should have said when they were proposing this system - "What Frequency Does This Operate At?"

Was there someone named "Kenneth" involved in designing these systems?:rotfl:

I've been involved in the tech side of live entertainment for 25 years. Interference between the two technologies is unlikely, even more unlikely is that this is the real reason the parades have been cancelled. If there are interference issues between the wireless tech from the parade and the RFID systems, there are fixes for this.

Ow! That hertz!!!

Made me LOL! Good one. How bad did it hert? Mega or Kilo? Give us some kind of sine or wave, so we can help ya out. Also, how "frequent" is this hert? The main thing to remember is not to get too amped up over it. I'm sure it's just a phase.

How bad did it hert? Mega or Kilo? Give us some kind of sine or wave, so we can help ya out. Also, how "frequent" is this hert? The main thing to remember is not to get too amped up over it. I'm sure it's just a phase.

It is due to attenuating circumstances that I have reluctance to allow those remarks to rolloff my back.

Additional feedback may be induced if the tone is not modulated, and treble damages may be leveled.

No attempt to equalize, normalize or trim the behavior may result in termination.

i say good riddens i didnt like either of these and lets hope they update them or replace them with something better... but they better not mess with the star wars weekend parade or we might have to have words with those people at disney lol

We agree! And add: Bring back the "Lights Camera Action!" Parade. Now IT made you feel like you were in Hollywood w/ all the stars!!:goodvibes

Was there someone named "Kenneth" involved in designing these systems?

I'd Rather Not Say...

dan-rather_zps32727dab.jpg

To be honest, sounds like a "plausible deniability" issue floated out to work against the cost-cutting (and other) reasons given for it getting the ax.

Biggest mitigating factor against my buying it completely is that there are too many other parades and shows that use the same or similar technology that would almost certainly face a similar fate for precisely the same reasons. But these are the only two we've heard of, at least so far. And given all the rumors and rumblings about the overall troubles at DHS in terms of retheming, updating, improving (whatever words you want to put on it), it just seems to me they're just discarding something that wasn't terribly popular.

I remember these parades at DHS, and frankly, given the layout of the park, seems like parades there aren't nearly as enjoyable as the ones at MK, or Illuminations at Epcot, etc. Not sure DHS was really designed with the same kinds of parades in mind. I recall the things really screwing up the foot traffic and seeming like a bit of a contrivance, where they seemed more "integrated" into MK. Maybe I'm just having selective memory, who knows :)

Just have a hard time buying 100% into the stated reasons. If so, a lot more parades at other parks are on going to be on the block in short order.

They should bring back Stars & Motor Cars. My daughter and her bff were literally beside themselves during this parade. It was such a treat to see them react to their celebrities.

To be honest, sounds like a "plausible deniability" issue floated out to work against the cost-cutting (and other) reasons given for it getting the ax.

Biggest mitigating factor against my buying it completely is that there are too many other parades and shows that use the same or similar technology that would almost certainly face a similar fate for precisely the same reasons. But these are the only two we've heard of, at least so far. And given all the rumors and rumblings about the overall troubles at DHS in terms of retheming, updating, improving (whatever words you want to put on it), it just seems to me they're just discarding something that wasn't terribly popular.

I remember these parades at DHS, and frankly, given the layout of the park, seems like parades there aren't nearly as enjoyable as the ones at MK, or Illuminations at Epcot, etc. Not sure DHS was really designed with the same kinds of parades in mind. I recall the things really screwing up the foot traffic and seeming like a bit of a contrivance, where they seemed more "integrated" into MK. Maybe I'm just having selective memory, who knows :)

Just have a hard time buying 100% into the stated reasons. If so, a lot more parades at other parks are on going to be on the block in short order.

But honestly -- without knowing who Cheshire's source is or how that info trickled down, we know nothing. Disney PR has never used the "RFID frequencies" as an excuse. At least, not that I've seen. So it doesn't even fall into the "plausible deniability" sector.

I believe it.

And I also believe that the doorman at Costco paws through my stuff to prevent me from being overcharged.

And i also believe that my father took Buddy to live on a farm.

But honestly -- without knowing who Cheshire's source is or how that info trickled down, we know nothing. Disney PR has never used the "RFID frequencies" as an excuse. At least, not that I've seen. So it doesn't even fall into the "plausible deniability" sector.

Regardless, Disney PR would never admit it .

You two are reVOLTing.

Nah, I'd just say that Robo and I are "in phase" and I would attribute this to a balanced connection. Unless of course you're voltage reference is in regard to +48v, but that would require an external power source and I like to think I'm more of the dynamic type.

:rolleyes1

Nah, I'd just say that Robo and I are "in phase" and I would attribute this to a balanced connection. Unless of course you're voltage reference is in regard to +48v, but that would require an external power source and I like to think I'm more of the dynamic type.

The power of the phantom strikes with constant bias.

Thanks for the heads up....that's a shame. We're thinking about taking our son for his first trip and I think he would have loved them. Hopefully, they'll work things out.

Regardless, Disney PR would never admit it .
I disagree. This is exactly the kind of thing Disney PR would use as an excuse, if an excuse were needed. They've done it multiple times in the past. "Technical issues" -- particularly "new, emerging, groundbreaking technology" that causes something else not to work and so that something else has to be taken away -- is a favorite theme.

But, regardless, the "RFID frequency" reasoning is flawed on pretty much every level. All due respect to Cheshire's source, but he's wrong on this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter