Why the DHS Parades Have Been Discontinued

The "official" response seems a bit fishy to me, but that's just IMHO. The top list of rumors include an expansion of the SW area, the addition of the Indy ride (similar to that in DLC) removal of back lot and the installation of the East Coast Cars Land. Guess we will all have to wait and see!

Wow, so - this new tech, which they say is intended to "enhance" experiences, has now caused the complete removal of two attractions?

That's... awesome.

(Thanks for the info, CF - no snark directed your way. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you've heard.)

Both of these parades use many wireless microphones and many other electronics for control purposes. It was found that all of these when coming close to the entry area at DHS they have been causing interference with the wireless controls for the touch points and the reading to the hand-held devices for the people working the entry.

Until such time as they are able to prevent any interference there will be no parades.

Additionally, it has been found that the AK Parade causes interference in some of the merchandise locations with the RFID touch pad sensors.

Ow! That hertz!!!

And people actually laughed at me when I wore my tin-foil hat...

Just look at it as the first dose of "surprise and delight" brought to you by My Magic+......

And you guys all wondered how it was going to save the company money! :lmao:

where is the darn LIKE buttonprincess:

Wow, so - this new tech, which they say is intended to "enhance" experiences, has now caused the complete removal of two attractions?

That's... awesome.

(Thanks for the info, CF - no snark directed your way. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you've heard.)

Well, I'm "surprised". Not so sure bout the "delighted" part though.....

Can we ask who your reliable source is?
You may ask. It is a person I've known for a few years who, like me, is a CM and who has never given me inaccurate information in the past. That is all the identifying information I will give.

This seems very probable to me also. I have years in the telecommunications industry and RF interference is a common problem. There are many proprietary systems out there on vary frequencies and most of the time these are static systems or designed to cover mobile use in well-defined areas such as a warehouse.

They could also redesign the gate and store readers with better shielding but that would certainly conflict with the cool look of the gate readers.

I am guessing they have to source a new system for whatever they were using at the studios to get around it.

i say good riddens i didnt like either of these and lets hope they update them or replace them with something better... but they better not mess with the star wars weekend parade or we might have to have words with those people at disney lol

I have received information from a very reliable source.

As many are aware, today has been the last day for both the Pixar Parade and the Disney Channel Rocks Parade/show. The Pixar Parade would come in close to the entry gates; the Disney Channel Rocks would both come in and depart close to the entry gates.

Both of these parades use many wireless microphones and many other electronics for control purposes. It was found that all of these when coming close to the entry area at DHS they have been causing interference with the wireless controls for the touch points and the reading to the hand-held devices for the people working the entry.

Until such time as they are able to prevent any interference there will be no parades.

Additionally, it has been found that the AK Parade causes interference in some of the merchandise locations with the RFID touch pad sensors.
This sounds like some sort of reasoning based on what a techie type said they thought might happen. Or someone was speculating about reasons and this was one of them. But really ... the Pixar parade didn't use wireless microphones at all -- it was done completely to track, with no live singers or actors. And the DCR kids didn't sing live on the float -- they only sang live once they were in-show. The drive-in / drive-out music (when they were near the entrance) was on track. So ... no microphone interference there either.

If this were true, then every single parade and outdoor-venue stage show at WDW would need to be discontinued, as would IllumiNations and Fantasmic! -- because they all use "many wireless microphones and many other electronics for control purposes". And let's not even talk about the number of wireless radios, headsets and other communication devices that are used property-wide. Plus the control systems for the rides and attractions, and even the vast number of wireless walkie-talkies and radios that guests bring in.

I think it's far more likely that the two were cancelled because of their survey ratings and because they share a cast, making it difficult to cancel one and not the other and still keep the performers employed full-time. Canceling both shows allows those performers to be rescheduled into other parks and other parades / shows much more efficiently.

As for the interference problems, I'm sure there are issues the tech teams are working on that will solve those. They run into the same frequency issues every time a new show, parade or spectacular opens.

:earsboy:

You've never been wrong Cheshire and this seems about right. Not to mention the parade wasn't too good to alot of people.

This seems very probable to me also. I have years in the telecommunications industry and RF interference is a common problem. There are many proprietary systems out there on vary frequencies and most of the time these are static systems or designed to cover mobile use in well-defined areas such as a warehouse.

They could also redesign the gate and store readers with better shielding but that would certainly conflict with the cool look of the gate readers.

I am guessing they have to source a new system for whatever they were using at the studios to get around it.

Ok but if this is true, wouldn't they just have put the parade and show down for rehab and fix the problem? Why would they cancel it?

My understanding when they first announced the closure was that because of some construction that's going to be taking place some of the float tracks would be blocked along the parade route. Not sure what the truth of the matter is but that seems more likely than radio interference. It would seem if that was the case MK would have the same set of issues. Hopefully there will be a new and hopefully improved parade in the near future.

....the Pixar parade didn't use wireless microphones at all -- it was done completely to track, with no live singers or actors.

Isn't there music coming from the floats? If so, then there's your wireless technology. It's not exactly microphones, but it is indeed wireless signal transmission.

Isn't there music coming from the floats? If so, then there's your wireless technology. It's not exactly microphones, but it is indeed wireless signal transmission.
There's music coming from a parade system, but whether that's sourced at each float or via a zone audio system (like at MK), I'm not certain.

:earsboy:

Nothing surprises me, but I also suspect that the corporate downsizing intended to reduce personnel costs companywide may also be the culprit. Disney may need a reason and technology conflicts may be a bit too convenient. All news reports about the layoffs and personnel cuts indicate that the parks would not be spared. Reduced EMH and fewer parades may be Walt Disney World's easiest way to cut costs for Iger's corporate cuts.

I don't know. I don't really buy it. Microphones and other communication devices don't normally interfere with RFID. Wireless LAN signals would be more likely to cause interference and Disney just recently upgraded their wireless infrastructure in all the parks so they must have already thought of possible interference

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using DISBoards

I said pretty much the same thing on the FB post... the end of the parades was announced here over a month ago.

Ya know, someone should have said when they were proposing this system - "What Frequency Does This Operate At?"

There are only a couple of common frequencies for RFID. Some are commonly in use, like 2.4-5.8 GHZ (WiFi / Bluetooth), where others are less commonly in use, like 13.56 & 433MHZ. The less commonly used ones are also most commonly used for short range (<50').

Did they just mess up and pick the wrong one, or were they trying to hedge their bet and make sure the readers would read, even at a "distance". I'd be concerned at the latter - I know you can read RFID from a real distance away, and I'd rather not be ID'd, location-wise, from every cashier's stand in the park.

Does anyone out there know what style / frequency the current RFID systems use?

James

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!