Why the Canadian dollar is at par

beachwarmer

<font color=deeppink>Thanks very much for the extr
I just wanted to comment on Pete's fears about the Canadian dollar being at par with the U.S. dollar. It really is more a combination of our resources and thus strong economy, coupled with the problems with the U.S. economy and mortgage problems. In 2002 the Canadian dollar was worth 0.62 against the U.S. dollar. It sure puts the importance of oil into perspective.

The Canadian dollar reaching parity with the U.S. dollar was much talked about here in Canada in the past week. It has both positive and a lot of negative repercussions.

One of the major reasons the dollar is currently so strong is due to the oil reserves in western Canada. This is of course not the only reason but does contribute greatly.

Here are some facts:

Canada's Oil Reserves 2nd Only To Saudi Arabia

The U.S. government said Thursday Canada holds the world's second-l largest oil reserves, taking into account Alberta oil sands previously considered too expensive to develop.

The Energy Information Administration, the statistical wing of the U.S. Department of Energy, has included recent private sector estimates that an additional 175 billion barrels of oil could be recovered from resources known to exist in Western Canada since the 19th Century.

The latest estimates put Canada ahead of war-torn Iraq, which the EIA estimates holds 112.5 billion bbls and is constrained from raising production for entirely different reasons. The U.S. agency estimates Saudi Arabia's recoverable oil reserves at 264 billion bbls.

The EIA projects Canadian oil sands could produce 2.2 million barrels a day by 2025 compared with the current level of about 700,000 b/d, which already represents more than a fourth of total Canadian output of 3.1 million b/d.

Here is a reference document for further info. www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/index.html

That was very interesting. Who Knew? So glad that we visited Canada in 2002. It sounds like we picked the year to go. Sadly, I don't think we could swing it right now. Thanks for the info.

Good info---though, I think Julie may have just fallen asleep again (j/k---merci for sharing)! Does this mean more shoe smuggling at the borders?:rolleyes1

Good info---though, I think Julie may have just fallen asleep again (j/k---merci for sharing)! Does this mean more shoe smuggling at the borders?:rolleyes1

Sorry for the lecture like post. :) I took out all the sarcastic comments before I posted. I love visiting your wonderful country (especailly in the winter months) and did not want to offend anyone. I will add them now so maybe Julie will stay awake with some help from this:coffee:

We don't really want people to know how much oil we have because we are scared that you will try to invade us too. When you add Canada having over 50% of the world's fresh water reserves we look good....hey Iraq has less oil and no water.:upsidedow

Bill O'Reilly doesn't like us either so we have reasons to be scared.:scared1:

As for the shoe smuggling.....no need with our dollar worth so much we can afford to stay the required 48 hours. Might still do it just for the thrill.:rotfl2: I worked as a customs officer in Univesity and half the fun was checking to see if we could catch people "wearing" their new purchases home. Seizing the new underwear they were wearing was really fun.:scared1:

Sorry, just have to say, that if our dollar were not so strong right now, there's no way I could afford to stay at the Poly! But, the US is and in all likelihood will benefit from our dollar since most travel agents here where I live are already becoming sold out on packages to Disney, Vegas, Phoenix, etc. Living so close to the border, it is very hard to find friends to hang out with on weekends since they are all cross border shopping!

Sorry for the lecture like post. :) I took out all the sarcastic comments before I posted. I love visiting your wonderful country (especailly in the winter months) and did not want to offend anyone. I will add them now so maybe Julie will stay awake with some help from this:coffee:

We don't really want people to know how much oil we have because we are scared that you will try to invade us too. When you add Canada having over 50% of the world's fresh water reserves we look good....hey Iraq has less oil and no water.:upsidedow

Bill O'Reilly doesn't like us either so we have reasons to be scared.:scared1:

As for the shoe smuggling.....no need with our dollar worth so much we can afford to stay the required 48 hours. Might still do it just for the thrill.:rotfl2: I worked as a customs officer in Univesity and half the fun was checking to see if we could catch people "wearing" their new purchases home. Seizing the new underwear they were wearing was really fun.:scared1:

Hahahahhaahah. Love it.

:rotfl2:

I worked as a customs officer in Univesity and half the fun was checking to see if we could catch people "wearing" their new purchases home. Seizing the new underwear they were wearing was really fun.:scared1:
:eek:

Thanks for the info! (on the strength of the dollar, not the seizing of underwear. ....though, that was interesting too!)

Whatever the reason, I'm bummin :sad2:

We live 20 minutes from the Canada (niagara falls) border and even when the the exchange was .80 cents on the dollar it was nice to go visit. The thing is that Canadian stuff like food at restaurants and hotels are overpriced. I always presumed it was b/c their $$$ wasn't strong so charging $15 for a hamburger on Clifton hill made sense since the CA$15 didn't buy as much ingredients.

Well now the exchange is even and the burger is still $15. It seems like a rip off to go eat there. We used to go to eat in Canada quite a bit b/c they have some good restaurants but now that we don't get a good exchange we don't go as much.

Canadian parity is certainly partly due to its currency's strength and that is due in large part to oil.

But that doesn't explain why we're at or near a record low against other major currencies, including the Euro.

The dollar is weak and the two major causes are the current account deficit ("the trade deficit") which floods the world with dollars and our low interest rates (made lower last week by a federal reserve that is more interested in keeping Wall Street happy than keeping a lid on inflation), that make our bonds less attractive options to foreigners, hence the dollars stay abroad. Therefore, since there are so many dollars out there, they are "cheaper". That's why the dollar is hitting record lows against the Euro, the Canadian dollar, etc.

It is truly a vicious circle: We are the world's leading exporter (at least i think i read we passed Germany recently) but since our country is so rich, we still import much more than we export. The cheap dollar amplifies this because our exports are cheaper, which means we sell more, which makes us wealthier, which means we buy more imports, and so on and so on.

Whatever the reason, I'm bummin :sad2:

We live 20 minutes from the Canada (niagara falls) border and even when the the exchange was .80 cents on the dollar it was nice to go visit. The thing is that Canadian stuff like food at restaurants and hotels are overpriced. I always presumed it was b/c their $$$ wasn't strong so charging $15 for a hamburger on Clifton hill made sense since the CA$15 didn't buy as much ingredients.

Well now the exchange is even and the burger is still $15. It seems like a rip off to go eat there. We used to go to eat in Canada quite a bit b/c they have some good restaurants but now that we don't get a good exchange we don't go as much.
Even Canadians thing eating in Niagara Falls is a rip off. Eating in tourist traps is expensive no matter where you go.

In my lifetime, the dollar has never been so good! (and I was born in the early 70's) I live 15 minutes from the US and cross border shop frequently. We already had a reserved Disney trip booked for late November, so this makes paying the balance off much easier. People around here say it's going to get even better (in our favor). I live in the moment though, and for us Canadians....the moment, is good.:woohoo:

Even Canadians thing eating in Niagara Falls is a rip off. Eating in tourist traps is expensive no matter where you go.

I don't foresee the jump making much of a difference in anything but cross-border shopping and tourism. Prices never seem to drop no matter what, but they are going to go up again when our dollar drops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter