Why Star Wars Land and not an entire park?

The reason that Disney has multiple themes in a park aligns to the initial idea behind Disneyland... a place for everyone. My wife hates thrill rides but she goes on IASM while the rest of the family rides roller coasters. Rather than building a new park, Len Testa pointed out that they really need to fill out the HS and AK. I agree that rather than adding new parks, the company tries to diversify their existing ones and have them change with the times. Although it would be exciting to create an entire new park like Universal is in Orlando, but even they are struggling if they should add more Harry Potter especially based upon the more recent movies. By having Nintendo and other properties, they can appeal to different parts of the family rather than making one theme that will eventually lose popularity. Keep in mind that I have been to where they filmed the Harry Potter movies two different times (from Seattle mind you) but eventually Harry Potter might not have the extreme popularity to last the 50 years that MK and the other parks have lasted.

I don't think that Disney has ever been about building a whole PARK for just one fandom. Of course this may change (Disney changes their tune once there's a large enough competitor) but at the moment Disney's parks are more general. The parks encapsulate multiple stories and pull them all together through attractions. I feel like having a whole park dedicated to Star Wars would be WAYYY too much and far. Maybe it's just me. But the description you gave, "Think about it, every land within this park would be a different planet and story in the SW saga. Instead of just one out post there would be multiple environments like what you see when you ride Star Tours. There would be a land dedicated to the Residence and a land dedicated to the Darkside, etc." just doesn't sound.... like a Disney park.

PS - I'm a huge OG Star Wars fan myself so this has nothing to do with disliking Star Wars or something.
I don't think Disney has ever had a single IP that could support an entire park before. Star Wars or Marvel just might be able to do that. It'd be risky, but if they pulled it off? My god

I don't think Disney has ever had a single IP that could support an entire park before. Star Wars or Marvel just might be able to do that. It'd be risky, but if they pulled it off? My god
It’s incredibly risky. Not everyone likes Marvel or Star Wars. You are only catering to one audience by creating a single IP park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter