Why Pool Hop?

BarbaraMB

<font color=CC99CC>Is right! Good tags come to th
Don't flame me on this. I am just curious on why people pool hop to different resort pools? Especially if you have to drag your kids and stuff with you. I never even thought about this until I have read about it on these boards. Unless you really don't like the pool that you are staying at and you plan to spend some time at the pool I would think it might be more enjoyable to go to one of the water parks instead. I am not saying someone should or shouldn't pool hop, I never gave it any consideration and wonder why people do it.

I agree with you. We've been staying on site since 1983 and way back then pool hopping was allowed. We never had the desire.

We are now DVC members and so could hop anywhere except Stormalong and AKL when we're staying on points. I can't imagine doing so. Too much time and energy involved when there are so many other cool things to do at WDW.

The joy of pool-hopping 101: We like to pool-hop just to get a different atmosphere lots of times. Of course, we don't leave our particular resort unless we intend to spend 3 or so hours at a pool. Often we order lunch by the pool and it's nice to try different places. And, the places with the best pools often cost 2 or 3 times what we pay at some resorts. Just a change of scenery I guess. As for water parks, I hate the crowded feeling and with two kids ages 6 and 13 I can't be at two parts of the park at once (to accomodate their swimming abilities), where the younger is more comfortable in the "kids" area.

Originally posted by Howling Howie
the places with the best pools often cost 2 or 3 times what we pay at some resorts.

Exactly and the people paying that 2 or 3 times the cost would love to enjoy the amenities they paid for, without crowds comming from other resorts.

Pool hopping at Disney is against Disney established rules!

:rolleyes: Here we go again!

"Pool hopping at Disney is against Disney established rules!"

Yes, unless you're a DVC member. I'd like to think that the poster talking about it was a DVC member and therefore doing it honestly, not breaking rules. It's one of the few "bonuses" we get!

We usually pool-hop to the Polynesian. It's our favorite for renting boats and we like the restaurants there too. While DH has one child on the lake, I watch the other child at the pool and then we swap kids. The beach is nice. I love the Poly but dh hates it so an afternoon is probably all I will ever get there! I do spend a lot of money there and the pool never seems to be very crowded anyway. We enjoy pool-hopping and if they took it away from DVC we'd be sad! :( Visiting the different resorts is my favorite WDW activity. We only go to the parks a few of the days we visit. We do a lot of resort activites and always spend money where we visit (if this matters?). Last summer we went to Riverside to go fishing; then we had lunch and swam a bit. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon!

Hi,

Sometimes it is to kill time...

(ie) My daughter went on the Pirate Cruise from the GF and we were staying at AKL... I had just under 2 hours to kill while she was on her cruise.. so I considered trying the pool out...

I ended up having breakfast at the cafe and looking around the gift shops instead.

======

I have heard all kinds of reasons for pool hopping.. sometimes it is to get together with friends or family that happen to be staying at another resort...

The general assumption is that it is guests from the values coming to the deluxes but I don't think that is the case...

I would love to try the coronado springs pool - but I am staying at AKL and BC.

I loved the pool at POFQ and my daughter liked it better than the deluxe AKL pool.

Personally - I don't think pool hopping is a problem unless the resort is packed and guests (who are staying there) can't get seats or the pool is crowded.

In the off season, in quiet times , I don't see what the big deal is - but I think the guests should ask permission and receive a pass.. this way the resort can control the amount of guests per day.

Of course I have heard tell that non-disney resort guests and local floridians come to use the Disney pools too - and I think this should be controlled - they are not paying guests of ANY resort.

I have heard stories of boatloads of people with swim gear desending on Wilderness Lodge from MK for an afternoon swim.. I have not seen any of this type of activty............so far.

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by Howling Howie
The joy of pool-hopping 101: We like to pool-hop just to get a different atmosphere lots of times. Of course, we don't leave our particular resort unless we intend to spend 3 or so hours at a pool. Often we order lunch by the pool and it's nice to try different places. And, the places with the best pools often cost 2 or 3 times what we pay at some resorts. Just a change of scenery I guess. As for water parks, I hate the crowded feeling and with two kids ages 6 and 13 I can't be at two parts of the park at once (to accomodate their swimming abilities), where the younger is more comfortable in the "kids" area.

And you think this is fair to the ones that do PAY 3 times more then you? And thanks for posting. Many on this board think there are no pool hoppers here. You have proven them wrong.

Whoa there. There's no indication that Howling Howie isn't a DVC member, in which case it is perfectly okay for him/her to pool hop, unless it's to YC/BC or AKL. Of course, DVC members can only pool hop when they're staying on points, not when they're paying cash. And sometimes DVC members do pay cash.

I haven't done it yet but someday I would probably pool hop to Coronado Springs, I love their pool. And no dragging kids, I don't have any.

(Yes, I am a DVC member)

We are staying at AS Sports. I recently read that ASM has a pool bar. I would love to sidle up to the pool bar w/my DH to have a drink. But, b/c we are staying at AS Sports means we can't use the pool at ASM... and that is fine. But, I just thought it would be nice to try the pool bar out.

B/c it's against Disney policy, we will not test drive the pool bar. I can def. understand people paying more at the other resorts for a "better" pool. However, since it's the same resort complex (ASR), what's the difference? It's not like I'm going to the Poly or GF or somewhere "better"!?

Originally posted by TDC Nala
Whoa there. There's no indication that Howling Howie isn't a DVC member, in which case it is perfectly okay for him/her to pool hop, unless it's to YC/BC or AKL. Of course, DVC members can only pool hop when they're staying on points, not when they're paying cash. And sometimes DVC members do pay cash.

I haven't done it yet but someday I would probably pool hop to Coronado Springs, I love their pool. And no dragging kids, I don't have any.

(Yes, I am a DVC member)

Just to add a little here too....

We as DVC members tend to come to WDW more often then just once a year (I know cash guests do too but DVC members often come more than once a year) and spend more than our share of $$ all the way around between the parks,resorts,resturaunts and membership and dues. So as for spending more $$ to stay at the deluxe resorts, believe me, we spend our share.

We also are suppossed to follow special rules for pool hopping -- such as calling ahead to the resort you want to pool hop at to make sure it isn't overcrowded first and during really busy times of the year such as July 4th and memorial day we aren't allowed to pool hop at all. And then of course the fact that we are only suppossed to be allowed this pool hopping perk if staying on pts.
I agree it isn't fair for someone staying on cash to just go and pool hop to other resorts but as for DVC members, for those of us who enjoy pool hopping and follow the rules, I don't see how it should be a problem for the guests of the resort they hop to.

Daxx, you are allowed to pool hop to other All stars pools if you're staying at All Star Sports. Pool hopping between "sister" resorts is OK.

Originally posted by Scoootch
Just to add a little here too....

We as DVC members tend to come to WDW more often then just once a year (I know cash guests do too but DVC members often come more than once a year) and spend more than our share of $$ all the way around between the parks,resorts,resturaunts and membership and dues. So as for spending more $$ to stay at the deluxe resorts, believe me, we spend our share.

We also are suppossed to follow special rules for pool hopping -- such as calling ahead to the resort you want to pool hop at to make sure it isn't overcrowded first and during really busy times of the year such as July 4th and memorial day we aren't allowed to pool hop at all. And then of course the fact that we are only suppossed to be allowed this pool hopping perk if staying on pts.
I agree it isn't fair for someone staying on cash to just go and pool hop to other resorts but as for DVC members, for those of us who enjoy pool hopping and follow the rules, I don't see how it should be a problem for the guests of the resort they hop to.
I don't see a problem with DVCers pool hopping either. That is a nice perk I'm sure. I was addressing the non DVCers pool hopping which I think is unfair. The way Howling Howie's post came off I didn't think he was a DVCer. If he was then I thought he would say so. As for DVC spending more cash and more trips that isn't aways true. We will have gone over 30 days in the last 12 months after my next trip starting tomorrow and we are not DVC nor do we desire to buy into DVC. We spend a lot of money between staying at deluxe resorts, eating every meal in Disney and don't get me started about the souveniers I buy! LOL! I just get a little rankled when I hear of someone paying to stay somewhere else and then enjoying the amenities that I have paid for. They talk about how their own pools is overcrowded and not as nice. Well hello ? That is reason we pay to stay at the nicer resorts to avoid such things. Not to have someone that didn't put out the money to pool crash.

I suspect Howie is not a DVC member. He mentions how he is not paying the high price for the resort....something that wouldn't concern a DVC member.

I agree that pool hopping seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm a DVC member entitled to "pool hop" but I've never had the desire to do so.

Originally posted by PamOKW
...(snip)...I agree that pool hopping seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm a DVC member entitled to "pool hop" but I've never had the desire to do so.

Same here.

I am a DVCer but I am also go often when not using my points. I know the rules and I know others know the rules. But if by chance some don't know the rules we who do don't need to jump all over them... Even if they do know the rules but just choose to break them its not up to us to get on their cases.

Skiwee1... I can almost guarantee with the way your first reply came across, we just may have lost a Diser. Check your tone before you decide to jump down someones throat were all friends here!

Daxx,
ASSp does have a pool bar. All the AS have the same amenities!

Originally posted by phanomouse
I am a DVCer but I am also go often when not using my points. I know the rules and I know others know the rules. But if by chance some don't know the rules we who do don't need to jump all over them... Even if they do know the rules but just choose to break them its not up to us to get on their cases.

Skiwee1... I can almost guarantee with the way your first reply came across, we just may have lost a Diser. Check your tone before you decide to jump down someones throat were all friends here!

I will not check my tone.:rolleyes: I was not the only one that quoted his post and said that pool hopping is wrong. Trekker quoted him too and rsponded accordingly. Sorry Trekker! LOL! Anway I said nothing nasty to him. I THANKED him for actually admitted pool hopping! I'm still waiting to see if he is a DVCer. :confused:

Originally posted by PamOKW
I suspect Howie is not a DVC member. He mentions how he is not paying the high price for the resort....something that wouldn't concern a DVC member.

I agree that pool hopping seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm a DVC member entitled to "pool hop" but I've never had the desire to do so.

I think you are right. It seem he stays in the value resorts and never mentions anything about DVC. Just another pool hopper taking up valuable real estate. :p

Originally posted by skiwee1
I will not check my tone.:rolleyes: I was not the only one that quoted his post and said that pool hopping is wrong. Trekker quoted him too and rsponded accordingly. Sorry Trekker! LOL! Anway I said nothing nasty to him. I THANKED him for actually admitted pool hopping! I'm still waiting to see if he is a DVCer. :confused:

Your original post sounded very rude and arrogant to me I think the person responded to would agree with me. And your right Trekker did comment on it, so why do you need to beat it into the ground... your the type of person who responds to things and makes people decide not to come back. All I am saying is we don't need to be jerks to each other on here. If he chooses to do something you don't agree with why sweat it?

"I think you are right. It seem he stays in the value resorts and never mentions anything about DVC. Just another pool hopper taking up valuable real estate. "

This kind of proves my point doesn't it. Who needs snide comments like this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter