Why not use covid sniffing dogs?

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
Use covid sniffing dogs at the cruise port. What I've read is that the accuracy of the dogs is very high and in some cases they catch it before a pcr test does.

If a dog detects that a person has covid then run a rapid test. It is not perfect but it would be more accurate than just requiring that every passenger is tested prior to boarding. I'm just thinking out loud so maybe none of this makes sense.

I saw where the Miami Heat is going to be using them. If the dog targets you or you do do not wish to have the dog near you (allergies, fear) a rapid test will be offered as an alternative.

I saw where the Miami Heat is going to be using them. If the dog targets you or you do do not wish to have the dog near you (allergies, fear) a rapid test will be offered as an alternative.

You don't have a choice at an airport for bomb sniffing dogs. There shouldn't be a choice at a cruise port.

Sniffing dogs can be effective and save time - well, the COVID application still needs a broader study - but testing at cruise ports isn't the issue. The cruise ships that operated last summer / fall with the right protocols didn't have cases fall through the cracks.

The real problem is testing on board and finding and containing those cases. And I'm not sure how many would want to cruise with sniffing dogs roaming on board.

Interesting idea. A few serious questions:
  • How long does it take to train a dog for this?
  • Are there enough dogs and trainers to go around?
  • What happens to these dogs when their life-span exceeds the Covid-driven demand?/Can they be retrained for another sniffing task?
Thank you!

Sniffing dogs can be effective and save time - well, the COVID application still needs a broader study - but testing at cruise ports isn't the issue. The cruise ships that operated last summer / fall with the right protocols didn't have cases fall through the cracks.

The real problem is testing on board and finding and containing those cases. And I'm not sure how many would want to cruise with sniffing dogs roaming on board.

Bring the dogs on board

I don't understand why anyone one care if there was a COVID sniffing dog roaming around?

I don't understand why anyone one care if there was a COVID sniffing dog roaming around?
I am guessing allergies. I have a coworker that is allergic to cats. If he is in a house with cats for an extended period of time his allergies really ramp up. Same could be true for people allergic to dogs and could get a similar reaction if they were a constant onboard.

That said DCL, has mice, ducks, chipmunks, etc onboard and I haven't heard of any allergy complaints:rotfl2:

I am guessing allergies. I have a coworker that is allergic to cats. If he is in a house with cats for an extended period of time his allergies really ramp up. Same could be true for people allergic to dogs and could get a similar reaction if they were a constant onboard.

They allow service dogs onboard. I’ve sailed with one several times, and was once seated near one in the dining room. What’s the difference?

They allow service dogs onboard. I’ve sailed with one several times, and was once seated near one in the dining room. What’s the difference?

The number of dogs out and about. I assume this wouldn't be just one dog. In my 16 cruises while I have seen the dog litter box maybe 3 times onboard I have never actually seen the dog. Just stating that some people are very allergic to animals and it can impact their allergies. For all I know some people may be bothered by service animals, but they have to be there. Growing up my allergies to pets were very bad, thankfully I outgrew them.

The number of dogs out and about. I assume this wouldn't be just one dog. In my 16 cruises while I have seen the dog litter box maybe 3 times onboard I have never actually seen the dog. Just stating that some people are very allergic to animals and it can impact their allergies. For all I know some people may be bothered by service animals, but they have to be there. Growing up my allergies to pets were very bad, thankfully I outgrew them.

I've heard that people with service dogs and a verandah have them placed out there. They only put the one out on deck 4 if the service animal is in an inside or oceanview room.

You’re equating the two scenarios? Seriously?

How is it different? They even have k9 units often at WDW entrances.

Quantity.

I guess I don't understand. There isn't a limit on service animals is there?

Also does the dog have to get closer than normal or is it like a normal k9 unit?

It would seem having 2 k9 units would be enough at boarding. If they wanted to go crazy put one at each restaurant?

I would say even with dogs a test would be required. Negstive test prior to arriving, negative test at boarding. If you have a positive test you are retested 2 times or something.

I guess I don't understand. There isn't a limit on service animals is there?
While there is not a limit on service animals, realistically most cruises don't have any. Animals all require special fake grassy areas for their needs, as well as space for their handlers that would most likely NOT be crew quarters (too tight with the animal as well).

The logistics start to get more complicated when you consider the typical schedule of trained sniffers. TSA dogs typically have a schedule of 24-30 hours a week. You cannot work them like you work a cabin steward. They average about 4 hours a day on duty, which wouldn't even be enough to cover breakfast and dinner, let alone embarkations, if you had 3-5 on board (1 for each MDR and 1 each for Palo/Remy/backup, not even staffing lunches).

I had to look this up to see if it was a thing. It is. BUT. Studies so far have NOT been peer reviewed. And, from what I see, accuracy can be as low as 80% for positives.

Now, whether rapid tests are better than that, I dunno. So the possibility with either option seems to leave a fair chance of detection failure or a false positive.

TSA dogs typically have a schedule of 24-30 hours a week.
They average about 4 hours a day on duty, which wouldn't even be enough to cover breakfast and dinner,

Except you wouldnt need them that much.

Like I said they could go crazy with extra checks but in reality I would see it like that of the testing where it's just at boarding.

I doubt they go that route though.

I don't see a reason everyone couldn't be checked at Port for boarding though.

No sure some ports are going to accept the sniff test, they want an actual test and possibly a vaccine too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter