Why no bunk beds??

kamgen

DIS Veteran
After looking at some pics of other WDW resorts, I was curious why DVC, as family oriented as it is, does not offer villa accomodations with Bunk Beds?

Any opinions on this?

I think they are a great option and would have loved to see Studios with bunkbeds instead of a second bed or a pull out.

Places like AKL and POLY have them and it makes me wonder.

Thanks for your input!

kamy

I am not aware that the Polynesian has bunk beds, but AKL and WL do.

It would be a nice option to have those available in some villas. ALthough with 2 couples travelling together it might be a little awkward if they received a bunkbed room.

Altho I wouldn't want to get one of these in BWV, VWL or BCV I think its a GREAT idea for OKW. Those studios are so big with so much space being wasted accomodating 2 queen beds. Put the bunks along the wall where the tiny breakfast table is...the remaining queen bed over by the entry door and a nice seating/eating area in front of the sliding glass doors.

Sorry, I meant WL, not POLY.

I guess I would think they would reserve them differently, like we reserve a Preferred or a Standard, there could have been a standard studio and a bunk studio. Or even have them in the 2 bedrooms. The second bedroom could have had a queen bed and a bunk bed, instead of two queens or a queen and pull out.
JMHO.

Kamy :)

At the last BWV annual meeting, someone asked about inclosing the balconies with screening (because of West Nile Virus) and was informed that a timeshare can NOT change from what is initially offered (other than normal maintaince). If this included screening, I imagine it includes the type of furnishings offered. One of the reasons we preferred BWV to OKW was the sofa in the studios rather than another bed. We would NOT be happy to find bunk beds in a BWV studio.

It's the same thing as Disney deciding one of the DVC resorts will be all non-smoking. They can build, and market, a new DVC resort that way (or have bunk beds in some/all bedrooms), but they can't change a existing one.

I think it would cause more work as in reservations, more types of linen needed and such that it would easier and more cost effective to not have bunk beds.

The more options they offer, the more disappointed people who don't get what they want. I would be most unhappy to have bunk beds in my unit. Not all DVC members are families with children. Many are singles, couples or people with adult children.

Much as my kids were younger when we joined, I still would not have liked bunk beds.

My kids have always loved having their very own queen sized bed to themselves. It's a welcome change from the twin that they have at home.

I just think that the queens are much more versatile than bunk beds.

And my kids are too little for bunk beds (which are not advised until your kids are six).

All I'd need at Disney is a three year old with a broken arm.

Crisi,
I think that is part of the reason you wouldn't see it. I have always thought about that with the resorts that have them. We did use a room with bunk beds at WL once when our nearly grown DD and DS went along.

I agree.

We stayed at the WL for our last vacation. I told the reservationist I didn't want a room with bunkbeds. Then I said "I'm sure, since I just told you the ages of my kids, you wouldn't have put us there anyway." She answered "You'd be surprised." So I gather that at very least Disney will let you put your toddler in the top bunk, and perhaps even book a bunkbed room for a family with young kids without it being specificially requested.

I was just curious. Not really advocating either way.
Just wondering how DVC made the choice not to offer them.
Thanks,
Kamy

They can change but it would likely take a vote of the members to do so. I own at a resort where they've gone in and changed the second BR to 2 queen beds rather than a pull out love seat. Since it's not a lockoff, it's a better use of the second BR.

Originally posted by Mary Ellen
At the last BWV annual meeting, someone asked about inclosing the balconies with screening (because of West Nile Virus) and was informed that a timeshare can NOT change from what is initially offered (other than normal maintaince). If this included screening, I imagine it includes the type of furnishings offered.

Mary Ellen, that is similar to what we have been told at OKW annual meetings when a member suggests changing some of the studios to a bed & sofa. It is also my understanding that if DVC makes changes like these, then they have to change the legal information recorded in each state, too.

I would not be excited about bunk beds at all!

Just my .02, but I would't appreciate bunk beds either. Dh and I have grown kids, and anyone we would bring with us would want REAL beds or pull outs.

I can't imagine as I grow older having to crawl in an upper bunk....or crawl OUT of one it the middle of the night :cool:

pin
remember the magic

how DVC made the choice not to offer them.

OKW, the original DVC, was and is a luxury resort. The queen beds are just more attractive and luxurious (IMHO) than bunk beds. The bunk beds at WL kind of turned me off as well. I realize they are practical for some families, but they just don't say "luxury". ;) Also, if you have couples along with you, it would be odd to have them sleep in a bunk bed. Kids "could" sleep in queen beds either together or, if a same sex problem, with the parent of the same sex. Adult couples would not be happy in bunk beds.

I also imagine there is an insurance question with them. Premiums might be higher to cover the problems of kids getting hurt.

As mentioned earlier, mixing bunks and non-bunks creates a problem because it adds another variable. If everyone coming to BWV on a certain date wanted bunks and there were no bunks available, everyone would be unhappy. If everyone knows in advance what the bedding will be, there are no surprises or disappointments. Bunks might also be totally unacceptable....if you've got grandma and grandpa scheduled for that room it ain't going to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter