Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies! - A Dec. 2013 TR *Completed

Very cute pictures of Landon and Ariel!

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed Lefou's Brew because usually I'm not a big fan of beverages that are ultra sweet. But like you I think the frozen nature of the drink sold me!

I definitely think the consistancy played a huge factor in the LeFou's Brew. The slushieness of it almost made me feel like it was a dessert, like instead of a frozen lemonade I was having a frozen apple juice.

Great photos! Who would have thought the princesses would be such a hit!

Landon sure did love them. I think the fact that it was an actual person he could talk and interact with helped.

I'd say that CM was very lucky... :lmao:

That guy had no idea what was in store for him if Landon has woken up.:lmao:

And don't forget the float at the end of MSEP... :thumbsup2

Yep. Although it's been so long since I've seen it that I forgot!

I certainly hope he still isn't dessert deprived. :lmao:

:rolleyes1

Was she paying attention to him and talking to him??? Well there you go. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

That really is all you need to do to win over my kid's heart. Sometimes, you don't even need that. If you're in his line of vicinity and look interesting, he's your new best bud.:rotfl2:

You've got that right. I never imagined we'd ride the Barnstormer approximately 56 times last trip, but hey, you do what you gotta do. I'm glad Landon found something he thoroughly enjoyed.

Haha, I remember reading about that. Hopefully, on your next trip you'll be able to move on to bigger and better coasters. Who wouldn't mind having to ride Thunder over and over again?

I totally agree about dark rides, and the Little Mermaid is a fantastic example!
I'd like to try LeFou's brew, but I don't really think I'd like it, judging by everyone else's descriptions of it. I'd say DH would though!
Ahhhh too funny about the stein/goblet mixup. But the stein is cute too. :lmao:
Landon with Ariel is so so so cute! What a fantastic interaction!!

I think you really have to like sweets to enjoy LeFou's Brew. And even then it might be a stretch. I'd say you have to prefer fruity sweet over indulgent sweet, if that makes sense. Either way, not for me but at least I can say I've tried it. One more thing to mark off my Disney bucket list!

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013:

With the Ariel meet and greet such a huge success, there was really only one place we could visit after that.

I had reserved us Fastpasses for the following day to meet Rapunzel and Snow White, so Alex suggested we enter the standby line and wait for the other 2 princesses residing in Fairytale Hall.

Sounded good to everyone else. And, even better, the posted standby time was 10 minutes.

The good thing about waiting in line like everybody else was that I got the opportunity to see the decorations inside the building.

While a responsible, tax paying adult, seeing all those little details built into the ceiling and hung on the walls, made me feel as if I were eight again. That princess fascination that most (for sure, not all) little girls get crept back into my system, to the point where I tapped my mom on the shoulder and went, "Look! It's the glass slipper! I just love how it's encased and on display!"

I think this new building (all right, it's not so new anymore, but to me, back in December, it was, so just roll with it) is the perfect spot for the princesses. I almost wanted to say, "Why did it take Disney this long to make such a place?"

It was the Camp Minnie Mickey of the Magic Kingdom.
Sssh, just pretend Camp Minnie Mickey is still around.
:rolleyes1

A friendly Cast Member led us inside the receiving room, and the first princess we were to meet was Cinderella.

Fantastic! I love Cinderella. Out of all the classics, she's my favorite, if only because I love her dress the best.

Surely my son would feel the same.

Meh.

Not really.

:rotfl2:

Cinderella was a pretty quick meet and greet. Mainly because of this:

"Get me away, Dad! Stop taking a picture and rescue me! Mom's holding me next to this strange lady with long gloves on. Doesn't she know we live in Florida. I've never seen such weird things before and they kind of freak me out."

Rather than torture Landon some more, we quickly moved on to Princess # 2. But not before Alex took a picture of my favorite decoration piece:

Forget the glass slipper and the crown shaped chandeliers, I want those books!

The next gal Landon was to meet was Aurora.

Or, as Alex had to quickly whisper, "That's Sleeping Beauty, right?!"
:rotfl:

Normally pretty good with the princesses, Alex can NEVER remember Aurora's real name or which girl wears which dress. He always forgets about poor Sleeping Beauty.

And forget asking him who the princes are.

Here's hoping we never have a daughter, she'd probably kick him out for saying Aurora was hooked up with Prince Eric.

(Although watching Once Upon a Time has done wonders for his princess knowledge. I think if they added more episodes with Philip, he'd be set.)

However, I can't say too much on the princess front. I accidentally called an Ana doll Elsa over the weekend, and my 3 year old cousin properly shamefaced me.
"THAT'S ANAAAAAA!!!!"

(Note to self: Brush up on Frozen facts before visiting 4 girls aged 9 and under.)

Getting back on track again (if I can even find it, I went so far off course) Aurora was standing all by her lonesome, awaiting Landon's arrival.

I think all three of us were hoping for a little bit more enthusiasm compared to what the baby had just displayed with Cinderella, and luckily, we got it.

That particular Aurora must have had kids of her own or been around them enough to know just how to interact with an infant. She immediately sat down on the floor and patted the spot next to her, asking Landon if he would like to sit on her dress.

She was soft spoken and calm and took so much time with him. Everyone wanted to see Cinderella, so poor Aurora was left with all the time in the world to visit with us, and it really touched my group to see how much effort she put into this meet and greet.

Landon noticed, too.

He fell in love with her dress. It was bright and sparkly and the wearer was letting him touch it; it was a baby's dream come true!

Landon actually kept trying to climb in her lap.

To the point where he was getting irritated with me for holding him back.

"Let go of me, Mom! This nice lady wants to take care of me. I bet she's nicer than you. I bet she wouldn't make me eat vegetables and take naps in the afternoon."

Landon was not willing to let Aurora go. He was claiming ownership, and he actually did start to fuss when I had to pick him up and walk away.

If I wasn't so excited about having another positive character meet and greet, I would have felt bad.

I do have to give a ton of credit to that Aurora meet and greet.

That was, by far, the longest interaction we had with a character the whole trip. And actually have ever had before. I know it helped tremendously to not have anyone behind us and for it not to have been a busy time, but still.

I would say she spent a good five minutes just sitting on the floor, letting Landon play with the fabric of her dress and talking to him about nothing.

Ariel was still our favorite princess meet, because she was the one that introduced us to Landon's likes, and she elicited a quicker and happier response from the baby. He saw her and his whole face just lit up like the sun.

But that Aurora meet was special in its own way. I really felt like Landon had thought he'd made a friend in those five minutes, someone who he was completely hooked listening to and watching. I could have walked away right then and there and Landon wouldn't have even noticed.

Sleeping Beauty: best babysitter ever.

:lmao:

I don't really know why, but that whole night of meeting princesses was something I hold dear in my heart. I took away more from standing there watching Landon than I ever could riding certain attractions or meeting the leading ladies by myself.

And now, having returned to Disney and come back again, I cherish those hours in particular even more. Because, spoiler alert, Landon's reaction was not the same.
So those smiles and giggles were something unique to that December trip.

Kind of cool.

Continued in Next Post:

Last edited:
Continued From Previous Post:

Since my mom, Alex, Landon, and I were right behind the castle and the baby was already out of the stroller, we decided to go on one more attraction that evening.

And man oh man, as far as parenting went, Alex and I were succeeding!
In keeping with the whole fairy tale theme of the evening, we picked Prince Charming's Royal Carousel.

My mom hadn't gotten to hold Landon on many rides thus far, and since the carousel was more her speed, we passed the baby off on her while Alex and I hopped aboard some horses.

I saddled up first, so Alex was stuck going on the opposite side of my mother, so that we could both have a decent view of Landon's reaction to the carousel.
Of course, it had been approximately 2 decades since I'd been on a carousel, so my knowledge of horse layout was a little rusty.

It wasn't until the ride began moving, Landon showed quite a bit of interest in the mirrors along the inside wall, that I happened to glance over at Alex and noticed he was hunched over his horse.

The man looked like he was a giant trying to stay astride a pony.

You know how, whenever you visit a kindergarten classroom or a youth section of the library or the Sunday School room in a church, you're forced to sit in those itsy bitsy plastic chairs that you just KNOW are going to break under your weight? And you feel absolutely ridiculous because you are literally eating your knees?

Yeah, that's pretty much how Alex looked on the carousel.

:lmao::rotfl:

I couldn't help it. I began laughing out loud.

Alex and my mom looked over at me. "What's your deal?"

By that point, I was almost tearing up. I pointed to Alex, "Alex is going to crush the horse! He doesn't fit AT ALL!"

Which, in turn, made Alex hold out his hand to me, "Yeah, and look at you! You are on the biggest horse on this carousel!"

My mom looked at Alex, then at me, then back at Alex.

"There's something wrong with this scenario."

I found the whole thing hilarious, while Alex just shook his head and rode along until the carousel came to a stop.

Landon had seemed to enjoy riding the carousel, and since there was virtually no line, us three adults decided to go on it again.

Hooray for our first back to back attraction of the trip!
:rolleyes:

Only, this time, we let the baby sit atop his own horse.

"Yep, he looks like a winner."

"Here we go!"

Landon loved the carousel just as much the second time around. He was really fascinated with the mirrors. Every once in awhile he'd catch his reflection, and that just tickled him to death.

Who would have guessed the most basic of rides would be Landon's favorites?

That day was just full to bursting with surprises.

Alex even attempted to get a selfie to showcase Landon's great mood, but it didn't work out so well.

By the time we made it off the carousel and had gathered our stroller from the parking area, it was almost Wishes o'clock.

I had no absolutely no intention of staying for the fireworks, because I knew everyone and their brother would be on Main Street at that time. I just wanted to survive the walk to the train station and get out with all my appendages intact.

So began the perilous journey through the masses!

Only, unlike the last time we'd visited the Magic Kingdom, there was a clear walking path!

And room!

And Cast Members directing guests to keep moving!

It was incredible.

Disney had gotten smart and had laid down tape along the sidewalks and streets. If people wanted to stop and watch the nighttime shows, they had to be within the taped boxes. Otherwise, a Cast Member was going to hound you to continue walking until you put your feet in gear and complied.

It was brilliant.

Awful for the folks who didn't know to arrive early, but fantastic for the people who were just trying to leave the park.

But, whoa boy, those designated standing spots were packed in. People looked like sardines on Main Street. There was zero breathing room in those locations, and I saw numerous guests attempt to bulldoze their way inside the lines, only to be met with a sea of people pushing them back out.

There was still madness and chaos reigning in the streets, but at least now it was a contained and semi-controlled chaos.

Gotta take the successes where you can get 'em, correct?

I was still focused on making my way out of the park until I reached the area by Casey's Corner, where there's the walkway to get to Crystal Palace and Adventureland. There was a small group of people clustered about, but there was also free box space.

I instructed my mom and Alex to pull over.

"If you want, we can stay and watch Wishes. We've got a spot right here."

My mom was willing to do whatever I wanted, and Alex had no opinion.

It was up to me.
I hemmed and hawed about it for a few minutes.

I love Wishes and hated to miss an opportunity to catch it, but I knew trying to leave afterwards would be awful.

The departure aspect was really what held me back. I knew we'd be tacking on at least another hour before we made it back to Pop, and I was trying to determine if we could handle that much less sleep and rest.

In the end, what really sold me was the knowledge that the following day would be our down day, and that we weren't getting up and running to a park bright and early.

Our view was pretty obstructed with the old times board that was in front of us, so we didn't get to see much of Celebrate the Magic, but I don't think anyone in my party minded. Simply hearing the music was enough.

And when Wishes began, it was all above us, anyways, so no big deal.

For that night, the only pictures I took were of Landon and his reaction to it all.

In a first for me, I didn't take a million pictures of the fireworks, opting instead to stand next to Alex and watch Landon watch Wishes.

That was so much fun. Almost as great as watching Wishes for the first time.

Since I knew the soundtrack so well, I knew what particular fireworks were being shot off and knew which ones really amazed him. Talk about incredible.

I couldn't tear my eyes off his expressions. There really was no better way to top off the evening.

(Well, actually, if I'd known Rob (DisneyKid4Life) better, I would have contacted him and told him to join us at our spot. It was his birthday, and he was stuck watching from a terrible view point outside the Emporium. I felt so bad when I read that in his report!)

After the fireworks were over, my mom pushed the stroller over to the baby care center, where I took Landon in for a change, then settled him into his stroller to hang out for a bit. There was a bit of an argument going on by the entrance, where a woman with a stroller being used as a wheelchair was argueing with someone in Disney management about being refused to bring the stroller inside, even though it was for the handicapped.

I didn't want to know too much more about what was going on so I got in and out of there as quickly as possible, leaving my poor mother outside to have to listen to the heated discussion.

Such an A+ daughter...

Landon was content to sit in his seat and chill out while us adults sat on the sidewalk and waited for the majority of people to leave. That was actually a pretty great hidey-hole. Fairly empty, out of the way, under an awning but with lights. Will definitely be my go-to spot for as long as I've got young ones.

Even waiting as long as we did, we still got caught up in the huge line waiting for the monorail. I want to say we waited through 3 turns before we reached the platform.
But, eventually, we all made it back to the room, where Alex brought himself and I some food from Everything Pop back with us.

Between meeting a dozen characters, both at DHS and MK, seeing NPH at lunch, riding some of our favorite attractions, and ending the night with one of the greatest fireworks shows around, I would have to say it had been a wonderful day.

It was so full of new experiences for everyone, that I think each of us walked away having learned something new about Disney that we never knew before. A great treat for Disney veterans.

However, with so much having been done, I think my mom and I were really looking forward to the following morning, where our pace was set to slow and steady and relaxed. The trip was officially half way over, and we all needed a nice quiet morning to reset our batteries!

Up Next: You Could Never Get Me to Leave

Last edited:
I haven't been in Fairytale Hall, but I fully admit that I think I would even fangirl over the glass slipper.

I have to give Alex some leeway where Aurora is concerned. Since Disney keeps flip flopping her dress, how can anyone keep it straight. Of course, this dress is the right dress (or at least the best dress... just ask Landon).

Oh God I'm cracking up over Alex riding the pony. Yeah, I would have been in tears too.

Wishes o’clock!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reference alone makes me giddy.

Wait a minute... I WAS THERE THAT NIGHT!! The night of my birthday Wishes debacle. And yes, absolutely awful for the folks attempting to get into the Wishes Zone. Not happening.

(Well, actually, if I’d known Rob (DisneyKid4Life) better, I would have contacted him and told him to join us at our spot. It was his birthday, and he was stuck watching from a terrible view point outside the Emporium. I felt so bad when I read that in his report!)

Awww Alicia... What a lovely sentiment. :flower3:

I still can't believe we were almost in the same spot and THEN both back to POP as well. Crazy.

Love the pics with Aurora! Definitely frame-worthy!!

Just sounds like an absolute perfect day, had by all. The best memory I have of Disney is Lawson on my DH's shoulders clapping, me just staring at my Landen and my mom when she was still here.. :( She is holding him and smiling and Landen is just in awe and the parade is going in the background. I can remember everything about that moment. Reading your description of you watching your Landon- brings me back to that. :)

Always great to recharge your batteries!!

Awww, Landon looking at Aurora is just precious!! :lovestruc

Those are absolutely precious moments with the princesses! Especially since toddler Landon apparently didn't feel the same way as baby Landon. Totally understand cherishing those moments. I feel the same way about our meets at Crystal Palace...such a special memory of interacting with the characters. I hope it'll be great on this next trip too, but who knows. :confused3

Alex does look like he's riding a baby horse. :lmao: Glad you got Landon on a horse and he had a great time.

How awesome that you were able to top off a fantastic day with watching Landon enjoy Wishes for the first time! :wizard:

What an incredible, magical day!

However, I can’t say too much on the princess front. I accidentally called an Ana doll Elsa over the weekend, and my 3 year old cousin properly shamefaced me.
“THAT’S ANAAAAAA!!!!”

(Note to self: Brush up on Frozen facts before visiting 4 girls aged 9 and under.)

Continued in Next Post:

Oh Wow! That cracked me UP! I can totally picture that happening! :rotfl2: I am sure I will always get their names confused although I have watched the movie several times!

Continued in Next Post:

This has got to be my favorite picture of the update! He looks like he is in love! How absolutely precious!

I really enjoyed meeting you guys a few weeks ago. Seeing Landon in real life was just wonderful. He is even cuter than his pictures and just so entertaining. You must be exhausted every night after chasing him around all day!!!!!

:cool1: I'm caught back up. I really need to be better about staying current. I think I am even further behind on Robs report. I tried to ask you so many times about the goblet because I was hoping you would point. Not my fault. I want to go back tho. Who thinks we should go back?

What a wonderful meet and greet with Aurora! Those types of meet and greets are the best when there's no one behind you in line and both the character and the guests feel absolutely no pressure to move things along. That's when the most creative and memorable interactions occur in my own experience!

The names of the prince do get a tad confusing considering some of them don't really have a name at all. "The Prince" "The Beast" :rotfl:

I really need to be better about staying current. I think I am even further behind on Robs report.

Yeah, what's up with that?

Oh that's right... You're protecting your country (and by extension mine). I don't think any more needs to be said other than :thanks: for your service. Believe me, I appreciate everything you do Alex. :goodvibes

I think this new building (all right, it’s not so new anymore, but to me, back in December, it was, so just roll with it) is the perfect spot for the princesses. I almost wanted to say, “Why did it take Disney this long to make such a place?”
I haven't been there since it opened, so it is most definitely new to me!

Normally pretty good with the princesses, Alex can NEVER remember Aurora’s real name or which girl wears which dress. He always forgets about poor Sleeping Beauty.

And forget asking him who the princes are.
I've got the princesses figured out, but the princes... um... I know Beast! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

However, I can’t say too much on the princess front. I accidentally called an Ana doll Elsa over the weekend, and my 3 year old cousin properly shamefaced me.
“THAT’S ANAAAAAA!!!!”

Or my 4 year old son...

That particular Aurora must have had kids of her own or been around them enough to know just how to interact with an infant. She immediately sat down on the floor and patted the spot next to her, asking Landon if he would like to sit on her dress.
Aurora must be good with kids. She did the same with DD last time. But then again, Cinderella did too. :rotfl2:

Sleeping Beauty: best babysitter ever.
:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: You go over there and visit Aurora. We're going to ride Thunder Mountain, we'll be back later!

And now, having returned to Disney and come back again, I cherish those hours in particular even more. Because, spoiler alert, Landon’s reaction was not the same.
For some reason, that is absolutely, not the least bit surprising. :rotfl2::lmao:

Landon loved the carousel just as much the second time around. He was really fascinated with the mirrors. Every once in awhile he’d catch his reflection, and that just tickled him to death.
I'm glad that Landon seemed to be having a blast with everything. It was certainly his night.

And the picture of Alex hunched over the horse... yeah. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

In a first for me, I didn’t take a million pictures of the fireworks, opting instead to stand next to Alex and watch Landon watch Wishes.

That was so much fun.

Almost as great as watching Wishes for the first time.
Well worth staying for! :thumbsup2

There was a bit of an argument going on by the entrance, where a woman with a stroller being used as a wheelchair was argueing with someone in Disney management about being refused to bring the stroller inside, even though it was for the handicapped.
:faint::crazy2: Handicapped or lazy???

I know I shouldn't assume, but... :rolleyes1

I didn’t want to know too much more about what was going on so I got in and out of there as quickly as possible, leaving my poor mother outside to have to listen to the heated discussion.

Such an A+ daughter…
No. That is a case where it is about survival. Everyone for themselves. You did what you had to do. :rotfl2:

Between meeting a dozen characters, both at DHS and MK, seeing NPH at lunch, riding some of our favorite attractions, and ending the night with one of the greatest fireworks shows around, I would have to say it had been a wonderful day.
::yes:: Pretty spectacular!

I haven't been in Fairytale Hall, but I fully admit that I think I would even fangirl over the glass slipper.

I have to give Alex some leeway where Aurora is concerned. Since Disney keeps flip flopping her dress, how can anyone keep it straight. Of course, this dress is the right dress (or at least the best dress... just ask Landon).

Oh gosh, I am so out of tune with the characters, that I hadn't even noticed she was wearing a different dress. And I gave Alex a hard time...:rotfl:

Oh God I'm cracking up over Alex riding the pony. Yeah, I would have been in tears too.

Wishes o’clock!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reference alone makes me giddy.

That's the best name for that time, by far!

Wait a minute... I WAS THERE THAT NIGHT!! The night of my birthday Wishes debacle. And yes, absolutely awful for the folks attempting to get into the Wishes Zone. Not happening.

Awww Alicia... What a lovely sentiment. :flower3:

I still can't believe we were almost in the same spot and THEN both back to POP as well. Crazy.

I know! It's nuts to think we were staying at the same resort, in the same BUILDING and never ran into each other. Just makes you wonder how many other DISers you pass on every trip.

Love the pics with Aurora! Definitely frame-worthy!!

Just sounds like an absolute perfect day, had by all. The best memory I have of Disney is Lawson on my DH's shoulders clapping, me just staring at my Landen and my mom when she was still here.. :( She is holding him and smiling and Landen is just in awe and the parade is going in the background. I can remember everything about that moment. Reading your description of you watching your Landon- brings me back to that. :)

Always great to recharge your batteries!!

Disney memories...:love: I can't even imagine how bittersweet that memory is for you, Marcie. As sad as it can be, at times, it's so great that you had that opportunity and that you have something to tell your boys years down the road.

Awww, Landon looking at Aurora is just precious!! :lovestruc

Those are absolutely precious moments with the princesses! Especially since toddler Landon apparently didn't feel the same way as baby Landon. Totally understand cherishing those moments. I feel the same way about our meets at Crystal Palace...such a special memory of interacting with the characters. I hope it'll be great on this next trip too, but who knows. :confused3

Alex does look like he's riding a baby horse. :lmao: Glad you got Landon on a horse and he had a great time.

How awesome that you were able to top off a fantastic day with watching Landon enjoy Wishes for the first time! :wizard:

What an incredible, magical day!

I am looking forward to hearing how your next trip this month goes. I know it kind of took me by surprise how Landon's interests changed in just 5 months, so I wonder if Izzy will be the same way.

Oh Wow! That cracked me UP! I can totally picture that happening! :rotfl2: I am sure I will always get their names confused although I have watched the movie several times!

This has got to be my favorite picture of the update! He looks like he is in love! How absolutely precious!

I really enjoyed meeting you guys a few weeks ago. Seeing Landon in real life was just wonderful. He is even cuter than his pictures and just so entertaining. You must be exhausted every night after chasing him around all day!!!!!

Landon was so happy to hang out with Aurora. She definitely made his night!

It was wonderful meeting you, as well! I'm so glad our schedules overlapped and we were able to stop and chat for a bit! Definitely one of the highlights from that day. :goodvibes

:cool1: I'm caught back up. I really need to be better about staying current. I think I am even further behind on Robs report. I tried to ask you so many times about the goblet because I was hoping you would point. Not my fault. I want to go back tho. Who thinks we should go back?

You should have just asked, "Do you want Belle or Gaston?" You knew better than to expect me to point.:rotfl2:
I wish we could go back! But only if we could stay in the same resort. And the same room. The giraffes liked that corner. Not to mention if we stayed anywhere else we'd miss seeing that wooden statue of the well-endowed lady.:lmao::rotfl:

What a wonderful meet and greet with Aurora! Those types of meet and greets are the best when there's no one behind you in line and both the character and the guests feel absolutely no pressure to move things along. That's when the most creative and memorable interactions occur in my own experience!

The names of the prince do get a tad confusing considering some of them don't really have a name at all. "The Prince" "The Beast" :rotfl:

Very true; you would think Disney would have given some of those poor guys names.:rotfl:

The interactions were nobody's behind you really are some of the best. The characters just get to enjoy entertaining you, without feeling pressure to move you along.

Yeah, what's up with that?

Oh that's right... You're protecting your country (and by extension mine). I don't think any more needs to be said other than :thanks: for your service. Believe me, I appreciate everything you do Alex. :goodvibes

That's no excuse. :rotfl: I kid, I kid. Although, if I give in to that way of thinking, what'll be next? Relieving him of diaper duty? Dog walking? Trash collection? The DISboards is the first step....:rotfl::rotfl2:

I haven't been there since it opened, so it is most definitely new to me!

I'm sure now that your DD is older, you'll hit the place up eventually.

Aurora must be good with kids. She did the same with DD last time. But then again, Cinderella did too. :rotfl2:

Your DD probably wasn't freaked out by Cinderella's gloves. Landon had never seen something like that before and was kind of freaked out that he couldn't see her fingers. You know you live in Florida when...:lmao:

And the picture of Alex hunched over the horse... yeah. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

One of my personal favorite moments from that day. Totally made up for me looking like an idiot with goblet/stein mixup.

:faint::crazy2: Handicapped or lazy???

I know I shouldn't assume, but... :rolleyes1

No. That is a case where it is about survival. Everyone for themselves. You did what you had to do. :rotfl2:

Actually, in that instance, I do think she was caring for a handicapped kid, but I still wasn't sticking around to hear more.
My family's very "you're on your own." My mother pushed me towards a snake once (it was a simple garden snake, but still) in order to run away, so I have no hard feelings about that night.

I love the pictures of Landon with Aurora! Too cute! I like Aurora, I feel like she is the forgotten princess now. All the other princesses have something cool except her.

I love the pictures of Landon with Aurora! Too cute! I like Aurora, I feel like she is the forgotten princess now. All the other princesses have something cool except her.

It's true. Aurora's kind of overlooked when compared to a girl with magical hair or a girl with snow powers. And, let's be honest, she mostly slept during her film.:rotfl:

Thursday, December 5th, 2014:

Despite this being our "down day" of the trip, all of us were up and moving before 8 a.m., thanks to Landon. He wanted to make sure we didn't get too comfortable in our beds at Pop; we were going to have to leave them in three days, after all.

My mom and I sipped a couple cups of coffee while Alex meandered around for awhile. Alex, by nature, is NOT a sit at the resort and relax kind of guy, and not having a park to get up and rush to was making him antsy.

When I couldn't take his pacing any longer, I loaded all of us into the car and made Alex drive us over to our breakfast location.

We pulled into the resort about an hour ahead of our reservation (about 8:20). That was perfectly fine, though. This resort was new to every single one of us, and we needed that allotted time to explore and check out the sights.

So, what resort did we go to?

Does this give it away??

Yes, we were at
Animal Kingdom Lodge!!!
(At AKL's Jambo house, to be more precise.)

I was practically skipping through the parking lot and around the very long wheelchair/stroller ramps. My one true love was and always will be the Polynesian, but AKL was a close second in my book. Even though I'd never actually seen it in person before, I knew I would love it.

It had views of my favorite animal! (Giraffes.)

It was adorned with my favorite color scheme! (Natural tones)

It was conservation/eco-friendly! (Who isn't this nowadays?)

The resort was everything I loved about Animal Kingdom put into lodging format, and I had been looking for reasons to visit for several trips; it wasn't until that point that one had fallen into my lap, and I was extremely excited to actually be going through with it on the trip.

My mom was taking it all in stride, as usual. Knowing that there'd be something no matter where we went that she could find to entertain herself with.

Alex- he was already bored at the idea of more resort time.:rolleyes2

We walked through one of the automatic doors and stepped inside the lobby, only to be greeted by the beautiful Christmas tree set up in the middle of the room.

I think my reaction to being inside AKL was something along the lines of OHMYGOSH!

:cool1:

The place was even more gorgeous than the pictures made it out to be. Alex and my mom just stood by some couches with Landon while I ran from one inanimate object to another. I was like a kid, pointing to everything and taking as many pictures as possible.

"Mom, look at the carpet!"

"Alex! We need those fans in our house!"

"Isn't this beautiful? It's just so BEAUITFUL! Please, tell me you guys see how this is all just...beautiful!"

The framework captivated me.

The light fixtures had me ogling each and every shield design.

And the window was almost too fascinating to turn away from.

Animal Kingdom Lodge, by itself, was unbelievable. And with the holiday decorations set up, I was finding it hard to believe any of the guests ever left the resort.

Alex and my mom had about had all they could take of me freaking out, so Alex pushed the stroller out to the viewing deck and began looking around.

That was right! I'd completely forgotten about the outside!

I walked out and immediately wished I could live there. A little food, a little water, and I'd be set for life. Oh, a perhaps some binoculars, for when my eyes failed me. :lmao:

None of us had a set destination in mind. Alex and the stroller walked ahead of us in search of some animals, but none seemed to be in that part of the savanna right then.

My mom and I strolled along, reading some of the placards that were displayed along the fence line.

We came across this bench and boulder, and I about died.

"ALEX!"

"What?" He had heard me from around the corner and came back.

"I think Animal Kingdom Lodge is sending me a sign."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"And what's that?"

"Look, it's a Momma and a baby giraffe. Disney is obviously telling us I need to stay here with Landon next time."

"Okay."

"I'm serious," I continued, catching up to him as he walked away. "This could be our next home."

"I don't know; I don't think I'd ever get you into a park if we stayed here."

"Probably not."

We'd reached the end of a viewing platform and stood around for a bit.
I looked out at the balconies across the way with entirely too much envy.

"Mom, we should have a girl's trip here."

My mom just smiled.

My party members were not half as enthusiastic as I was that morning, and I just couldn't see why not. AKL was awesome, and I couldn't help but wonder why every single one of the guests inhabiting those balcony rooms weren't outside right then, taking in such a surreal view.

Didn't they know how lucky they were to be there?

Naturally, I needed to have undeniable proof that I had been at AKL, even if it was just for a meal, so I made my mom get in a picture.

This is her "It's 9 o'clock in the morning in Florida, Alicia, and you're facing me East. Thanks a lot, sweet daughter," face.

To which, I came back with:

"We're at Animal Kingdom Lodge right now, and I am going to stare straight into the sun and pretend my eyes aren't burning, because I want to really convey how excited I am," face.

:rotfl:

I wouldn't recommend that comeback, in case anyone was thinking about using it.

We meandered back to lobby, talking about how empty the pathways were that morning.

For such a big resort, I thought I'd see a lot more people milling about. Guess it was just a slow morning for most.

Continued in Next Post:

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post:

Back inside, we reunited with Landon and Alex. My husband felt like he'd been a nice guy and allowed me my resort touring time, so it was only fair we did what he wanted then.

In case any of you guys aren't familiar with Alex, that would mean we had to visit the resort gift shop. A staple in every park, store, downtown district, airport...

There were altogether too many things within that store that I wanted.

Some of which were not even for sale.

Or stuff that I didn't really need but found funny.

I did end up buying a giraffe tchotchke and a statue of a mom and child giraffe. (I have a good-sized collection of giraffe themed items at home.)

While I was perusing, I happened upon some giraffe salt and pepper shakers that I thought were pretty cute but that didn't have a price marked on them. Alex came up to me and offered to go ask somebody. When he came back he said they were something like 60 or 70 bucks.

Whoa!

"I don't think so," I said, putting them back on the table next to similarly priced items.

A couple minutes later my mom found me and said she was going to take a bio break, then sit out in the lobby and wait for us. She wasn't as patient when it came to Alex's browsing.

It wasn't until three weeks later, at Christmas, that I discovered those two were in cahoots together. Apparently, my younger brother asked my mom to buy something for him for my Christmas present, and when my mom saw Alex asking about the shakers, she saw her opportunity.

They were actually only about 16 bucks, but Alex knew if he told me an outrageous amount, I would lose interest and not buy them for myself. And my mom, she used her bio break excuse to run out to the car and hide the gift in the trunk.

Sneaky, sneaky, those two.

My dad, when he heard this story at Christmas, broke out in belly laughter and asked me, "Really, Alicia, 60 dollars for salt and pepper shakers? That didn't send up red flags? Have you ever actually ever bought salt and pepper shakers before?"

To which I came back with, "With Disney, anything's possible, Dad. If anybody was going to charge that much for such an insubstantial item and get away with it, it'd be Walt Disney World."

In Alex's mind, it was perfect, because it was true. He knew I wouldn't think twice about that price in such a place.

Anyways, back on track, Alex, Landon, and I spent another fifteen minutes shopping. The baby was getting fussy near the end, though, and even fun toys weren't entertaining him for long.

So out of the shop and towards breakfast we went!

As we got into an elevator, I offhandedly mentioned that NPH was staying at AKL that week, and my mother curiously came back, "Oh, really?!" I gave her a weird look, and she informed me that while she was waiting for us to finish up in the gift shop, she spotted who looked like his twin toddlers and nanny going into an elevator. She didn't think anything of it until I said that.

So my mother managed to get another pseudo-NPH sighting!

Our reservation that morning was for Boma, and my mom kept a seat near the hostess stand to listen for our names while the three of us went outside. This little river (brook, creek, I'm not sure what to call it!) was right beyond the doors.

No matter what it was, Landon loved watching it.

"Alex, I'm serious. I want to stay here."

"I heard you, Alicia. Next trip, make it happen."

"I will."

"You want to stay here more than the Poly?"

"Yes."

At that point, my mom opened the door and hollered for us. We were led inside the restaurant and to a table in the corner of the room. On the opposite side of the food but less inhabited by other dining patrons.

Or what I've come to call, "The kiddy corner."

Seriously, look around you next time you're eating out. Nine times out of ten you'll see one corner of the restaurant full of families with small kids.

That's just how dining with little ones goes now.

We gave Landon a spoon, which we'd learned at 50's carried tons of entertainment for him, and all us adults rotated taking trips to the buffet line.

Alex wanted no part in any of the specialty foods, sticking with plain eggs and danishes.

Whereas, my mom and I were more adventurous and tried a few of the items.

I really enjoyed my first plate of the scrambled eggs with goat cheese. There was just enough of the goat cheese taste to add a unique flavor to the dish. However, upon returning with my second serving, I found I couldn't eat the rest of it. Whoever had made that particular batch had gone a little overboard with the cheese. To the point where it was just too strong to enjoy.

None of us dallied with our food that morning. Landon wasn't cooperating a ton, and Alex had forgotten to take his daily reflux medicine that morning, so he had to cut his breakfast short due to pain.

Overall, while not the best breakfast buffet we've been to, the atmosphere was something different, and we were all relaxed, so it was a win in my book.

Alex felt like he could mark it off his Disney bucket list and move on, so perhaps if my mother and I ever go to Disney for a week again I can visit the restaurant again during dinner. I think I'd like walking down to a meal there if I were staying in Jambo house.

Landon was hungry and impatient and acting like a typical infant, so we all sat down in the cluster of chairs right below the bridge and staircase and fed him.

Then, Landon and I dozed.

As did my mom in the seat next to us.

:rotfl2:

It was only for about ten minutes, but we were definitely one of those guests you walk past in the lobby, sleeping off their meal and long day.

Five years ago, I might have been ashamed of myself, but by that point in my life, I didn't care at all.
:lmao:

Everything was simply too darn peaceful for me to stay awake. I had the baby passed out in my arms, the view of the back patio out the window in front of me, the AKL signature music playing in a speaker to my right, and I was sitting in a ridiculously comfortable chair. There was no stopping the nap that overtook me.

And man, I might not have gotten any good sleep at Pop, but that powernap did me wonders. I woke up refreshed and rejuvenated and full of energy.

Don't ask me what Alex was doing during that time; I couldn't tell you.

He did, however, appear in front of me when I opened my eyes. And once everybody was awake, I asked the group if we could get a couple pictures before we left.

My mom took a couple great ones of Alex and me.

And then one where we both look super awkward.

In turn, I took a few of her.

With that, it was finally time to go. I might or might not have thrown out a half dozen more, "I want to stay here's!" on the way to the car. And maybe one more as we drove around Kidani village. (Just to see what it looked like.)

The Polynesian had finally found its biggest competitor in my heart for resort affection, and as the place disappeared in the rearview mirror, I was already planning another trip solely to stay at AKL. I wanted to call a room there home so badly, I could almost taste it.

It was going to take quite a lot of persuading to get me to stay anywhere else on the following vacation.

Up Next: I'm Going to Have to Tell Bashful About You

Last edited:
More and more I think Alex and I would get along great.

Aww Alicia, I LOVE YOUR AKL ENTHUSIASM!!! It is gorgeous. It's hard to believe it's one of the "budget" deluxes.

Haha, you know, when I read 60 or 70 bucks for salt and pepper shakers, I thought, that can't be right. Then I remembered it's Disney... so yeah... it's possible.

Those photos of you and Alex are lovely. Almost a private photo shoot. :goodvibes

Alex came up to me and offered to go ask somebody. When he came back he said they were something like 60 or 70 bucks.

“I don’t think so,” I said, putting them back on the table next to similarly priced items.

Uhm - yeah - I would have believed him and totally put them back. There are some definitely high priced items in Disney and I certainly am no good at figuring out why.

It wasn’t until three weeks later, at Christmas, that I discovered those two were in cahoots together. Apparently, my younger brother asked my mom to buy something for him for my Christmas present, and when my mom saw Alex asking about the shakers, she saw her opportunity.

They were actually only about 16 bucks, but Alex knew if he told me an outrageous amount, I would lose interest and not buy them for myself.

And my mom, she used her bio break excuse to run out to the car and hide the gift in the trunk.

Sneaky, sneaky, those two.

Awesome! They were very sneaky and what a great surprise! I love that they basically punked you and you got what you wanted. Win Win!

With that, it was finally time to go. I might or might not have thrown out a half dozen more, “I want to stay here’s!” on the way to the car.

It's an awesome resort. I agree that I could easily stay there and never leave, plus I really enjoy all the restaurants there. I could just cycle around among the 4 of them and be very happy.

So this is bad - I forget where you stayed in May. :confused3 Didn't you stay there or didn't you almost stay there?

Fun updates. Another pseudo NPH sighting - that's cool. I wonder what his amazing room looked like?

So was this entire update a way to tell us that y'all DID stay at AKL last month? ;)

I feel the exact same way about the place. The day I stay there will be a joyous one. Sounds like an awesome morning!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter