Why isn't the popcorn free?

I suspect it does probably have to do with the mess. I will say that there is free popcorn when traveling in Concierge. It is bagged popcorn though that you can request and take to the shows/movies/wherever with you.

Does Carnival have a similar amount of kids like DCL has?
I think the ratio would be at least 10:1 for DCLvsCC
Kids tend to eat popcorn more than adults.

There are loads of kids on Carnival too. I have no idea why dcl charges for popcorn, but this is a good thread topic because on our first dcl cruise many years ago, the popcorn charge was the one thing that rubbed us the wrong way. It was pretty much the only thing they charged extra for at that time (except for Palo and alcohol) and it just seemed so tacky to charge for popcorn. Made no sense. To this day we have never purchased popcorn on dcl. Lol. Our kids only asked once years ago and we told them that it was an extra charge so no. And even though they like popcorn, they haven't asked since. They are used to being told no when things are "extra charge" on cruise lines. We did bring theater candy with us once in our luggage, but they never ate it. So many other things to eat on the ship that it just is not necessary.

Except that Carnival cruise lines has the same size popcorn machine sitting on a bar counter and they provide unlimited free popcorn every night.

Free popcorn at a bar is usually there to make people thirsty so they buy more drinks. I don't know why they'd want to do that if most of the passengers are on drink packages, though.

Free popcorn at a bar is usually there to make people thirsty so they buy more drinks. I don't know why they'd want to do that if most of the passengers are on drink packages, though.
The popcorn is only distributed when they are showing movies under the stars. It is in little movie theater bags. It just happens to be at the bar.
Forgot to add that you can take as many bags as you want. And the bar is open to the area. The popcorn machine is is on the counter. The bartenders prepare the popcorn.

my kid loves popcorn. When we went in February 2018, it was the same popcorn bucket as we had just bought in the parks. We were too full from everything else to even consider popcorn but it was a 4 day cruise. I am rebooked for the Fantasy in February 2020 and wondering if I can just bring the old bucket back. I just brought it back from WDW and it was the same one being sold nearly 2 years later. We got lots of popcorn refills this time and ended up buying the toy story alien as well and my son eats his popcorn out of it every night now.
@Lisa F Yes - we just did this very thing. We brought our popcorn bucket from last year’s cruise and used it with no problem.

IMHO they should give it out for free for, let's say 5 minutes, after popping a batch outside the Buena Vista Theater. Whenever I'm in the aft stairwell, no matter what deck I'm on, all I can smell is fresh popped popcorn and it drives me crazy, see I REALLY like popcorn.

DH and I just returned from Carnival Vista (great ship, BTW.) Yes, the popcorn is 'free' but it is still not as good as DCL's (IMHO.) DCL's taste is true movie theatre popcorn. (Carnival's was bland, but did satisfy the salty crunchiness craving that I have when I consume any alcohol.)

@Lisa F Yes - we just did this very thing. We brought our popcorn bucket from last year’s cruise and used it with no problem.
thanks. Hey anywhere I can save a few! We never had room for popcorn on the 4 day dream but thinking we might on the 7 night!

my kid loves popcorn. When we went in February 2018, it was the same popcorn bucket as we had just bought in the parks. We were too full from everything else to even consider popcorn but it was a 4 day cruise. I am rebooked for the Fantasy in February 2020 and wondering if I can just bring the old bucket back. I just brought it back from WDW and it was the same one being sold nearly 2 years later. We got lots of popcorn refills this time and ended up buying the toy story alien as well and my son eats his popcorn out of it every night now.

Lisa, I treat the popcorn bucket (and the drink of the day hurricane glasses) as I do the beer mug. Essentially, it is the same. You pay a price for the "container" and refill it for a lower cost. In the cruise suitcase, after every cruise, I put the beer mugs, drink of the day cups (one each for myself and my husband) and the popcorn bucket. Once we board the ship and want a drink/popcorn, we can easily grab the appropriate container. ;)

Pop corn is free on other cruise lines and they seem to be handling the pop corn on the floor pretty well ... :confused3

Lisa, I treat the popcorn bucket (and the drink of the day hurricane glasses) as I do the beer mug. Essentially, it is the same. You pay a price for the "container" and refill it for a lower cost. In the cruise suitcase, after every cruise, I put the beer mugs, drink of the day cups (one each for myself and my husband) and the popcorn bucket. Once we board the ship and want a drink/popcorn, we can easily grab the appropriate container. ;)
You can refill those drink of the day hurricane glasses? I am not sure I even got one on our last cruise, haha.

Does Carnival have a similar amount of kids like DCL has?
I think the ratio would be at least 10:1 for DCLvsCC
Kids tend to eat popcorn more than adults.

They actually have quite a lot of kids around. You'd be shocked... A lot of people won't cruise on Carnival because of that.

It's at one of the bars on the Main Deck and is available for the purpose of "Dive In Movies".

Also, most passengers are not on the drink packages. It's expensive and a lot of people don't drink more than 7 drinks per day (which is the amount you have to drink for it to be a good deal).

It's at one of the bars on the Main Deck and is available for the purpose of "Dive In Movies".

Also, most passengers are not on the drink packages. It's expensive and a lot of people don't drink more than 7 drinks per day (which is the amount you have to drink for it to be a good deal).

Reading your post made me realize I was thinking of the Princess name for their movies also with free popcorn. Lol. A Carnival employee serving the popcorn gave one of my sons a clean box to keep when he said that he loved the design. He has it on his wall magnet board right next to a Solo pin. I think you are right that pretty much every other line gives free popcorn for movies. We have had it on NCL too. We find the popcorn quality to be what you find in any movie theater.

I am trying to fix this attachment. I am awful at attaching files on disboards.

Attachments

• 20190205_104233.jpg
    20190205_104233.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 16
Obviously, popcorn is dirt-cheap. Probably just as cheap, if not cheaper, than the free ice cream at Eye Scream.

I have always just assumed that the popcorn wasn't free because if it were, people would be grabbing tons of it, spilling it all over the ship, and constantly making a huge mess. By charging for it, DCL is limiting how much makes it into the hands of guests to make said mess.

But that has just been my assumption. I figured there might be people here who know if that is accurate, or if there another overriding reason the popcorn isn't free. Am I on-point with my guess?

That was my assumption too! It is hard to get out of carpet!

Pop corn is free on other cruise lines and they seem to be handling the pop corn on the floor pretty well ... :confused3
But the popcorn on other lines (well, the lines I've been on) is only served in the movie venues, so any clean up is restricted to a small area. I think because most people just use it as a movie snack, not a snack to be taken all over the ship (making a mess everywhere).

The bottom line is, popcorn has a charge on DCL because that's the way DCL set it up. I doubt that there's any one who here on DISboards who can say definitively why.

But the popcorn on other lines (well, the lines I've been on) is only served in the movie venues, so any clean up is restricted to a small area. I think because most people just use it as a movie snack, not a snack to be taken all over the ship (making a mess everywhere).

The bottom line is, popcorn has a charge on DCL because that's the way DCL set it up. I doubt that there's any one who here on DISboards who can say definitively why.

(Carnival serve it on the main deck where the main pool is during Dive-In movies.)

I also think DCL charges for it because they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!