Why is SSR a popular home resort to purchase as resale?

beckylee53

Earning My Ears
I live in Hawaii and we are thinking of buying a resale at Aulani. Many people suggested buying at SSR and just using the points at Aulani. We won't really be staying during peak times so we don't necessarily need the 11 month window at Aulani. We will probably use it more spontaneously if there is an open room. We would probably travel to Orlando maybe every other year and more to California (which I want to buy either at California Adventure or DLT when that comes out to use only at those locations). Would you recommend SSR resale still? What about BC? Or any other recommendations on which home base to purchase at? We have kids ages 7, 5 and one on the way. TIA!

SSR has a good time left, dues are lower, and buy in price is decent.

Many buy for sleep around points so they can use elsewhere.

Spontaneous and DVC don’t really go together. If you are not going to take advantage to book prior to 7 months, home resort does not matter.

But even trying to book a few months out is going to provide difficult most of the year regardless of where you own.

SSR has a good time left, dues are lower, and buy in price is decent.

Many buy for sleep around points so they can use elsewhere.

Spontaneous and DVC don’t really go together. If you are not going to take advantage to book prior to 7 months, home resort does not matter.

But even trying to book a few months out is going to provide difficult most of the year regardless of where you own.

The resale price is about the same as Aulani right now. The only difference to me seems to be the MF then. Do you know if Aulani is hard to book a month out even in off season?

We use resale SSR points specifically for Aulani, and it’s worked great.

We decided to do this for these reasons:

Similar purchase price, but lower MF today, and given Aulani being beach front, over time the MF difference should only get bigger.

Over time we think the value of SSR will hold up better as it is at WDW as opposed to off on its own in Hawaii.

As Disney Springs continues to grow/improve this should boost SSR as well.

With that said, we don’t need to travel during peak times or the Holidays, and we like the less in demand Ocean View room category.

If the above wasn’t the case we likely would’ve purchased an Aulani contract for the 11 month booking priority.

Either way you go, you’ll have many great times staying at Aulani!

The resale price is about the same as Aulani right now. The only difference to me seems to be the MF then. Do you know if Aulani is hard to book a month out even in off season?

With DVC, a month out will be difficult to get a room anywhere..

At the 60 day mark, any unreserved rooms can go to Disney to sell for cash. Sometimes, they can get them back for points, and sometimes they don’t.

If you plan to try and regularly book on that short notice, I would not buy DVC as I think you will be frustrated.

As well, there is no spontaneous for California. It is use home resort, or need to use waitlist. There is no flex.

I live in Hawaii and we are thinking of buying a resale at Aulani. Many people suggested buying at SSR and just using the points at Aulani. We won't really be staying during peak times so we don't necessarily need the 11 month window at Aulani. We will probably use it more spontaneously if there is an open room. We would probably travel to Orlando maybe every other year and more to California (which I want to buy either at California Adventure or DLT when that comes out to use only at those locations). Would you recommend SSR resale still? What about BC? Or any other recommendations on which home base to purchase at? We have kids ages 7, 5 and one on the way. TIA!

BC isnt a good choice IMO.It expires in 2042 and it isn’t cheap.

We won't really be staying during peak times so we don't necessarily need the 11 month window at Aulani.
Be very careful with this. "Peak times" from an overall tourism perspective and "peak times" from a DVC perspective are often not the same thing. Some of the hardest-to-book times for DVC at Walt Disney World are the slowest times of the year for the parks and other resorts.

Be very careful with this. "Peak times" from an overall tourism perspective and "peak times" from a DVC perspective are often not the same thing. Some of the hardest-to-book times for DVC at Walt Disney World are the slowest times of the year for the parks and other resorts.

And DVC is designed to work at 100% occupancy year round. All resorts should book completely by the time you travel. How fast that happens is a matter of resort and time of year - BCV during Food and Wine - 11 months - maybe ten. BCV the rest of the year, seven months (and maybe a few days). SSR - sometimes rooms will stick around a lot longer and be available short notice - but sometimes they will book up shortly after seven months as well. Aulani has its own booking patterns, but there are times of year it books up completely months and months in advance.

SSR is a good resale choice for a few reasons: they are used as SAP. because the cost is lower than other resorts with reasonable MF's; if in the 7 month window you still get "stuck" there it is a nice resort to be stuck in. Unlike OKW (another hidden gem), all buildings have elevators, the lower point chart for Standard roooms (OKW also has a great point chart) finally the proximity to Disney Springs and golf make it a great choice.

Math. I found this chart helpful:

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-spring-2021/
But this is just overall, with the averages. Now that resale has SO MANY listings, I think there are bargains to be had out there. A good buy with a lot of "free" points can flip this math. Those points are worth paying a few bucks extra for right now. Anything in the top few can be great if you get a good buy.

There's a tasty contract for CCV right now that I'd consider. I also think there's an argument to be made for buying a resort with upside. To me, that's BLT right now. The chart is incredible, location can't be beat, and IMO it's undervalued for what it is right this minute. The low point booking are valuable, and the 11 month matters at BLT. And there's TONS on the market! Take your time, make some low ball offers. It's a buyer's market right now, and you are in control.

Or, keep it simple and just low ball Aulani. There is something to be said for the simplicity of owning in Hawaii as a Hawaii resident. Plenty of that on the market as well.

Edit to add: SSR has gone up quite a bit since this chart. I'm not sure it would be in the place it is right now, if the chart were updated. But, SSR has had a rock solid dues and value performance for many years. It is the default SAP choice for a reason. Still, spending a little more to get BLT makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I originally bought SSR resale as my first contract because it offered one of the best value overall with its decent length of contract and lower annual MF due to its size. I thought due to my flexibility of scheduling I wouldn’t really care where I stay on site but quickly learn I do have preference. Luckily I happen to love SSR because I like it’s proximity to DS but bought more points at BWV and BLT to get the 11 month priority booking. I have been checking Aulani regularly because I would like to try it out and for studios it seems like for majority of the year it doesn’t look that easy to book unless I want ocean view rooms. I live in SoCal and I think I will most likely buy more points when DLT go on sale just to have booking advantage for west coast. It might be worthwhile for you to consider buying a WDW resort if you’re going every other year, but do some research to where you might like to stay first. Otherwise I think buying Aulani might make the most sense for you.

Beach Club is one of, if not the, the most expensive resort you can buy on a cost per point/years remaining basis. People who are buying Beach Club points now are intending to use them exclusively at Beach Club during the home resort advantage. This also tends to be true for Boardwalk and Grand Californian, which is causing availability at the 7 month mark to be even tighter as time goes on.

If you want to use the points primarily at Aulani, I would consider holding out for a contract with subsidized dues there, although there are different timeshare laws for Hawaii than Florida. Also, I've heard that peak times for Aulani do not match peak seasons for the WDW resorts. I heard it had something to do with tourism patterns from Asia; you may already be aware of this since you live there.

Aulani peak is definitely not the same as WDW peak.

And VGC peak is roughly 366 days a year due to size. Hard to say what impact DLT has.

Math. I found this chart helpful:

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-spring-2021/
But this is just overall, with the averages. Now that resale has SO MANY listings, I think there are bargains to be had out there. A good buy with a lot of "free" points can flip this math. Those points are worth paying a few bucks extra for right now. Anything in the top few can be great if you get a good buy.

There's a tasty contract for CCV right now that I'd consider. I also think there's an argument to be made for buying a resort with upside. To me, that's BLT right now. The chart is incredible, location can't be beat, and IMO it's undervalued for what it is right this minute. The low point booking are valuable, and the 11 month matters at BLT. And there's TONS on the market! Take your time, make some low ball offers. It's a buyer's market right now, and you are in control.

Or, keep it simple and just low ball Aulani. There is something to be said for the simplicity of owning in Hawaii as a Hawaii resident. Plenty of that on the market as well.

Edit to add: SSR has gone up quite a bit since this chart. I'm not sure it would be in the place it is right now, if the chart were updated. But, SSR has had a rock solid dues and value performance for many years. It is the default SAP choice for a reason. Still, spending a little more to get BLT makes sense to me.
For the original poster, this is good advice. You can’t go wrong with a cheap Aulani resale (which, for me, means below $110, if you can find it) or Copper Creek in the low to mid $150s. I like the Copper Creek theming better than I do BLT, but the latter’s location can’t be beat and the one bedrooms are nicer.

Oh, and I do this spontaneous and DVC GO together for Aulani. There's plenty for the next three weeks even, peak completely booked at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter