Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

DVC doesn't care about balance, they care about money, and that's either crazy priced large rooms or efficiency rooms.
One of the podcasts said that a Disney director admitted that the PVB setup was a 'learning lesson'. So, I'm not sure this is true. Again, I'm of the mindset that add-ons are a big seller for Disney, so they want balance to make adding-on an easier sell.

One of the podcasts said that a Disney director admitted that the PVB setup was a 'learning lesson'. So, I'm not sure this is true. Again, I'm of the mindset that add-ons are a big seller for Disney, so they want balance to make adding-on an easier sell.
Right, "balance" will be the DLT allocation. Very few large rooms. A ton of expensive studios, and some efficiencies. That way it at least looks like there's something for everyone. Here's the DLT room breakdown: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/post-62146019

DLT allocation: 253 studios, 18 studio lock offs, 19 1BRs, 20 2BR dedicated, 2 GV

Maybe a few more large rooms and less studios if they are joining the Poly1 association. That might be one of the only clues we get on that topic.

What if they only do tower rooms in the tower since the rest of the resort has so many studios? I wonder what the feed back has been on the tower studios? Also curious as to preference for dedicated 2 bedroom vs the lock-offs. We personally prefer the dedicated 2 bedroom.

The drawing and size of balconies indicates it will have larger rooms.

If they want to offer 1 bedrooms, then I think they have to offer at least some lock offs because they are the last to book.

They built BWV with all 2 bedrooms as lock offs so it’s not unprecedented but haven’t since so I imagine that it will also have some dedicated 2 bedrooms.

And, given that PVB has so many studios, even if it ends up being a new association, they may not want that many studios in this project.

Here’s another thought why they may see it as a plus for a new association. They are going to do the resort studio concept with two beds in the tower and not the deluxe studios that are part of PVB.

If that happens, then people who want that option will see the tower rooms as a big plus.

Just another potential difference that they could use if they don’t want to roll into PVB. .

The drawing and size of balconies indicates it will have larger rooms.

If they want to offer 1 bedrooms, then I think they have to offer at least some lock offs because they are the last to book.

They built BWV with all 2 bedrooms as lock offs so it’s not unprecedented but haven’t since so I imagine that it will also have some dedicated 2 bedrooms.

And, given that PVB has so many studios, even if it ends up being a new association, they may not want that many studios in this project.

Here’s another thought why they may see it as a plus for a new association. They are going to do the resort studio concept with two beds in the tower and not the deluxe studios that are part of PVB.

If that happens, then people who want that option will see the tower rooms as a big plus.

Just another potential difference that they could use if they don’t want to roll into PVB. .
Yes… I thought about the resort studio concept too. The murphy beds are a huge improvement over the pull out couches, but I wonder how they will wear over time? If the resort studios had the full kitchenette then I would think that would be the most desirable studio lay-out.

So many options!

Yes… I thought about the resort studio concept too. The murphy beds are a huge improvement over the pull out couches, but I wonder how they will wear over time? If the resort studios had the full kitchenette then I would think that would be the most desirable studio lay-out.

So many options!

This could also be why they haven’t said what it would be…they want to see how the resort studio concept is received.

We already know they added the microwave…that was a quick fix…so maybe they are working on how to combine the best of both worlds?

I think a winning combination could be a studio that has a kitchenette, a couch that faces a TV and two beds.

Last edited:
I remember discussions regarding the Poly Tower when Poly first went on sale in 2015. There were strong insider hints that it would come along in 5 yrs or so to balance out all-studios.

Creating that balance is why I think it’ll be part of the same association.

We own a lake view studio fixed week at Poly.

Would I rather it be part of the Tower? Sure I’d like the choice of 1BRs and might even add on to make that routinely possible. If it is a separate association, however, there’s lots to like about my current points:

1. Part of the legacy 14 so far as resale value goes.

2. I doubt DVC is modest with the new point charts and that will make the Poly 1 chart look good by comparison.

3. My guess, looking at the VGF2 chart, that “theme park view” will be truly astronomical - and that will make my “Lake View” practically “BWV standard”-cheap by comparison.

Win. Win. I think (hope).
Exactly

I remember discussions regarding the Poly Tower when Poly first went on sale in 2015. There were strong insider hints that it would come along in 5 yrs or so to balance out all-studios.

Creating that balance is why I think it’ll be part of the same association.

We own a lake view studio fixed week at Poly.

Would I rather it be part of the Tower? Sure I’d like the choice of 1BRs and might even add on to make that routinely possible. If it is a separate association, however, there’s lots to like about my current points:

1. Part of the legacy 14 so far as resale value goes.

2. I doubt DVC is modest with the new point charts and that will make the Poly 1 chart look good by comparison.

3. My guess, looking at the VGF2 chart, that “theme park view” will be truly astronomical - and that will make my “Lake View” practically “BWV standard”-cheap by comparison.

Win. Win. I think (hope).
Yes. Love all your points, especially the 3rd.
PVB lake view is one of the best rooms at WDW. The short walk to TTC to EPCOT is amazing as well. For perspective, I can get to EPCOT (from Moorea) in the same time as it takes the average person to walk from VGF1 to MK.

The point of the resort studio is to makes the timeshare-y math work with a cheap room, like the AKL value room or the RIV tower studio. And that it will accomplish.

100% agree. I think we will be amazed at the chart for this new tower - no matter which association it is in. Think Grand Floridian on steroids and then add 10%. I think this chart, and I have no reason to believe this other than just fear 😂, will set the tone for what happens in 2042 when they “remake” the EPCOT resorts.
I'll be shocked if the point charts are higher than VGF, but they've shocked me before. My guess is in between RIV and VGF. I would think the studio chart would have to be somewhat inline with Poly 1, maybe a little higher other than "theme park view", which they might go crazy with. And a 1BR is generally around double a studio points, and a 2BR is roughly 30% more than a 1BR. I'm sure there are exceptions I didn't do a deep analysis or anything, but these numbers are roughly true in most cases I think. I don't see how they could vary from that pattern all that much. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure

So many options!
For some people it would be the most desirable. For us when we travel as a couple with no kids, I MUCH prefer the single bed layout with a couch. I don't need a second bed taking up all that space. Good to have options as you said.

The point of the resort studio is to makes the timeshare-y math work with a cheap room, like the AKL value room or the RIV tower studio. And that it will accomplish.
I strongly disagree. The Resort Studios are significantly larger than the Deluxe Studios. It's not about a cheaper room, it's about owners who want the timeshare-y math with hotel-y accommodations.

I'll be shocked if the point charts are higher than VGF, but they've shocked me before. My guess is in between RIV and VGF. I would think the studio chart would have to be somewhat inline with Poly 1, maybe a little higher other than "theme park view", which they might go crazy with. And a 1BR is generally around double a studio points, and a 2BR is roughly 30% more than a 1BR. I'm sure there are exceptions I didn't do a deep analysis or anything, but these numbers are roughly true in most cases I think. I don't see how they could vary from that pattern all that much. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure
Poly is already more expensive than VGF in some price seasons. I'm not sure how it averages over the course of the year, but I know for my trip next January, PVB and VGF studios were the same price. I think Disney (not just DVC) has been viewing Grand Flo and the Poly as dual-flagships recently.

Example: Christmas at the Grand is 32 points. Christmas at the Poly is 34.

For some people it would be the most desirable. For us when we travel as a couple with no kids, I MUCH prefer the single bed layout with a couch. I don't need a second bed taking up all that space.
Even when the couch sucks? I could totally see the appeal of a queen bed and a comfortable couch, or even better a King bed with a comfortable couch. But a Queen bed and a crappy, hard-yet-somehow-still-floppy couch?

Good to have options as you said.
Amen. Diversity of accommodations is good for everybody. Bring on the cabins, bungalows, treehouses, resort studios, value studios, tower studios, club villas, and (someday, I hope) King studios.

Update: At least for Standard View Studios, Poly is already more expensive than VGF pretty much always.

2023, points cost for 7 nights checking in on a given date. The only time Poly is cheaper than the Grand is September.

1664216698522.png

I strongly disagree. The Resort Studios are significantly larger than the Deluxe Studios. It's not about a cheaper room, it's about owners who want the timeshare-y math with hotel-y accommodations.

They are bigger than the deluxe studios, but not by design...it was because BPK rooms were already done and that was the size they were.

Will that be the same if they are building ground up and want to include resort studios instead of deluxe studios?

Poly is already more expensive than VGF in some price seasons. I'm not sure how it averages over the course of the year, but I know for my trip next January, PVB and VGF studios were the same price. I think Disney (not just DVC) has been viewing Grand Flo and the Poly as dual-flagships recently.

Example: Christmas at the Grand is 32 points. Christmas at the Poly is 34.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that. Never really looked at VGF points since we aren't interested in booking it. Maybe I'm way off and Poly2 will end up being more expensive than VGF, yikes. I looked at some typical times we travel, and the studio costs are roughly the same for both right now. I'm very interested in Poly2, but not if a week in a SV 2BR is 400+ points. Then again I'll probably talk myself into it.

Even when the couch sucks? I could totally see the appeal of a queen bed and a comfortable couch, or even better a King bed with a comfortable couch. But a Queen bed and a crappy, hard-yet-somehow-still-floppy couch?

Meh, it's not very comfortable to sit on the edge of a bed, either. I don't spend long periods of time sitting on the couch so I'd rather have the space. I agree the ideal would be one bed and a decent couch.

Update: At least for Standard View Studios, Poly is already more expensive than VGF pretty much always.

2023, points cost for 7 nights checking in on a given date. The only time Poly is cheaper than the Grand is September.

View attachment 705445
I wonder if that’s because of the bugalows? I know people have said the bungalow points have come down while studio points go up.

I wonder if that’s because of the bugalows? I know people have said the bungalow points have come down while studio points go up.
Can’t move points across units. Can only move to adjust seasons.

I think the 7 month option is probably already being marketed for Poly Tower. The only reason I can see them announcing Poly tower so early was a sort of desperate hope to boost direct sales. "Hey you can buy Riviera or VGF, and you'll still be able to stay in the tower at 7 months." I think it probably didn't generate the boost they hoped for. So, Disney is already seeing whether the 7 month window is really enough of a selling point to boost sales.

We talked about how BPK is a cash-grab, but the reality is Disney is still cash poor right now. So, part of this will probably depend on how desperate for cash they are in early 2024.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced the tower will be (can be) that large. My understanding is that early Disneyland Hotel villa concept art was much larger than what they're building now. There just is such a limited space to work with, I'm not sure we can be convinced it's going to be 250 villas.
But is Disney really cash poor? The parks are packed (well, uh, not this week), and reservations at least on the DVC end aren’t available for months. Disney is building Poly2, continuing with Epcot construction, finishing VDH, and has just announced a big e ticket attraction for Avenger’s Campus out here in SoCal, which had previously been on hold. Seems like we’re heading into a prolonged spending season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!