Why I chose not to visit Walt Disney World

To add to my previous post, other attractions at WDW that have disappeared from Disneyland:

PeopleMover (renamed Tomorrowland Transit Authority but still the same ride at WDW. Gone from Disneyland)

Carousel of Progress (gone from Disneyland. Moved to WDW in 1975)

Remember Walt started WDW because of DL imperfections.
The Disney World Walt envisioned was radically different from what's there today. He wanted to build a city of the future where people would work, live, and play. It was to bring American industry together to develop new ideas that could be transplanted to cities across the nation. Who knows whether it would have worked out or not, but it wasn't just a tourist trap.

You can research all you want, you can see videos and pictures and hear stories, but until you experience it yourself, you have not earned a right to pass judgement.
The right to pass judgement is earned by giving Disney $3,000 of your money?

As for your public transportation issues, umm you live in SoCal, an area that is not well known for public transportation options, much less speedy or convenient ones.
Yes, but I live here and own a car. I take public transit when I can and support transit issues. I really feel for tourists who arrive in LA without a car and wish we had better public transportation here.
PeopleMover (renamed Tomorrowland Transit Authority but still the same ride at WDW. Gone from Disneyland)

Carousel of Progress (gone from Disneyland. Moved to WDW in 1975)
Those are two reasons why I would go to Disney World.

I think I had a doll modeled after this guy when I was a kid. It was short, beige, and had crazy florescent orange hair that you could play with. It was called a TROLL doll!

Since ole Spokky hasnt had anything positive to say on this entire site ever, lets not continue his fun for him. Just take a look at his posts...

As I said before, Spokker I hope your vacation comes soon, but I hope you can enjoy it, why with all the burnt out light bulbs in the world afterall:rotfl: :rotfl2:

Since ole Spokky hasnt had anything positive to say on this entire site ever, lets not continue his fun for him. Just take a look at his posts...
Is posting positive things a requirement for posting here? I had no idea. Here I was acting a fool, thinking I could post about topics that interest me.

Spokker, you can not honestly have thought you'd be welcomed with open arms when your first post on the WDW board is a long screed, based on no first-hand knowledge and with zero humility about that, about why you don't like WDW. What did you expect everyone to say? "Gee, you're right. I guess I was a fool to spend all that money. I guess I really didn't enjoy myself. I'll never go again." I mean, really. Why didn't you come here with some genuine questions (the people here are very knowledgeable and also, I've found, fairly honest and open-minded about Disney's faults) and start a discussion rather than write a close-minded dissertation? You either meant to incite a negative reaction (hence, you're a troll) or you're clueless about how to introduce yourself into a discussion.

Spokker, you can not honestly have thought you'd be welcomed with open arms when your first post on the WDW board is a long screed, based on no first-hand knowledge and with zero humility about that, about why you don't like WDW.
I had no other intentions than to post my story. How people react to it is not my responsibility. If people get bent out of shape because someone criticized their favorite theme park, perhaps they should seek out a therapist to discuss why strangers on the Internet bother them so much.

I am not presenting my opinion about WDW as someone who has been there. I am presenting my opinion as someone who was thinking about going there. Negative word of mouth works the same as positive word of mouth, and most of what I was getting was negative word of mouth.

If this forum serves to be nothing but a WDW lovefest then the visitors to this site looking for help and information are being done a great disservice. Sorry, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that someone could look at the policies currently in place at WDW and decide not to go, even if they've never been before. I'm not going to touch an oven range that is clearly on and hot despite the fact I've never experienced what it's really like to do that.

I would want to post on a "I Hate WDW" board as much as I would want to post on an "I Love WDW" board. If you can't post negative opinions here then by all means, have the moderators disable my account, because I will continue to post negative opinions if I have access to this forum.

The Disney World Walt envisioned was radically different from what's there today. He wanted to build a city of the future where people would work, live, and play. It was to bring American industry together to develop new ideas that could be transplanted to cities across the nation. Who knows whether it would have worked out or not, but it wasn't just a tourist trap.

That would be EPCOT, not "Disney World".

Maybe I'll do something similar on the Disneyland board, type out a long screed of what I dislike about it (though I've never been) and conclude with "I felt like a moron, a sucker, for even considering [Disneyland] in its current state, and decided that it just wasn't worth it."

I wonder how all the people on that board (who are presumably on the board because they are interested in Disneyland or have been to Disneyland in the past and are planning to go again) would feel about being equated to "morons" and "suckers", by someone who has never even set foot in Disneyland, no less.

You wrote: "I had no other intentions than to post my story. How people react to it is not my responsibility."

How people react is a function of how you decided to write "your story".
You must be very socially awkward, Spokker, if you can't come up with the right way to start a conversation like that.

That would be EPCOT, not "Disney World".
There was nothing incorrect about what I said. He did want to build a city of the future where Disney World is today. It was called EPCOT and I think it would have been so much more than just a place people lived while they worked at the Magic Kingdom.

Maybe I'll do something similar on the Disneyland board, type out a long screed of what I dislike about it (though I've never been) and conclude with "I felt like a moron, a sucker, for even considering [Disneyland] in its current state, and decided that it just wasn't worth it."
Do it. It wouldn't bother me one bit. I think it would be interesting to see what someone on the east coast thinks about Disneyland. In fact I invite anyone to message me personally and discuss anything that is "too hot for Disboards".

I've had discussions with people who think Disneyland is just about the most evil thing in the world and only for very bad types of people. I don't get all bent out of shape. I state my case, they state theirs, and when we get tired of arguing it's over. No harm no foul.

I wonder how all the people on that board (who are presumably on the board because they are interested in Disneyland or have been to Disneyland in the past and are planning to go again) would feel about being equated to "morons" and "suckers", by someone who has never even set foot in Disneyland, no less.
I felt that Disney World was not worth the high cost. If I had to spend $3,000 to visit Disneyland in its current state I would feel like an idiot too. Others however, may see things differently and might find it worth it. I don't. I said I felt stupid. I didn't call anyone stupid.

How people react is a function of how you decided to write "your story".
You must be very socially awkward, Spokker, if you can't come up with the right way to start a conversation like that.
The Internet is not real life.

Sounds like someone is just crabby and looking for a fight. Be happy that this troll does not want to go to WDW. Then we would have to put up with all of the negative comments and the superiority complex in person.:cool2:

"The Internet is not real life."

So, you're a cyborg? These words are not being typed by you? It's not "real"?

Sorry to break it to you, but just as letters, phone conversations and other forms of long distance communication are "real", so is this conversation. And you blew it.

"The Internet is not real life."

So, you're a cyborg? These words are not being typed by you? It's not "real"?

Sorry to break it to you, but just as letters, phone conversations and other forms of long distance communication are "real", so is this conversation. And you blew it.
I'm Johnny 5.

Sorry, but chatting on the Internet is not the same as having a conversation in person. In real life it would be a lot harder to get away from a person you didn't want to talk to. On the Internet it's more passive. No one was forced to click a thread called "Why I chose not to visit Walt Disney World".

I'm not going to go up to someone and suddenly tell them how much I dislike Disney World. However, if I happen to strike up a conversation with someone, as I sometimes do at Disneyland, the discussion invariably turns to Disney parks, and we will discuss what we both like and dislike about them.

If I were a troll I would have said, "disney world sucksksss!!! anybody who goes there si a moran.!!!" I didn't do anything that is even remotely close to trolling, a term people are far too quick to throw around when they don't like what they see.

But, you see, Spokker... how you start a conversation, even on the internet, has a bearing on how it goes. This thread is now dead, for all intents and purposes. It's come to the point where you're simply telling us about your chicken in the oven. It's a useless thread that has petered out into nothingness. You can blame us for that if you want (and I suspect you will) but the truth is you set the tone with your post. There is no shortage of complaints people here have about certain aspects of WDW (as you well know, as you said you read many of them here). So it's not defensiveness to any criticism on our part but it was the WAY you expressed yourself. I could tell you how you could have constructed a post in a different way, that would have still gotten your point across while also opening a respectful discussion with some useful give and take. Heck, maybe both sides would have even learned something. But I suspect you wouldn't really care and would simply mock my attempt. So I'll just leave it. I, too, have better things to do than to continue this "unreal" conversation.

I posted this exact same thread on another message board. While I did receive some replies disagreeing with me and some agreeing with me, no one called me a troll. In fact they did something much more amazing, they worked with my concerns and gave me some good ideas on how to get to WDW for less.

I am now seriously reconsidering a trip to WDW based on new information. Thanks for nothing disboards.com.

The Disney World Walt envisioned was radically different from what's there today. He wanted to build a city of the future where people would work, live, and play. It was to bring American industry together to develop new ideas that could be transplanted to cities across the nation. Who knows whether it would have worked out or not, but it wasn't just a tourist trap. .

Nope....wrong again. EPCOT was that vision, not WDW as a whole. MK was still designed as a tourist trap...just like DL. Maybe a boycott of them is in order. Smaller park, less attractions and similar admission price....hmmm, just a thought.

The right to pass judgement is earned by giving Disney $3,000 of your money?
YEP! Its called speaking from EXPERIENCE, not your distorted sense or reality from reading about something. Similar to why so many people in foreign countries have a distorted sense of America, they haven't seen it for themselves.

Yes, but I live here and own a car. I take public transit when I can and support transit issues. I really feel for tourists who arrive in LA without a car and wish we had better public transportation here.Those are two reasons why I would go to Disney World.

Well, all the people in Orlando probably feel the same way.

As for being called a troll, sorry, but if you are surfing message boards posting this stuff and looking for a heated response, that is a troll. :happytv:

Please don't reconsider your trip to WDW, it is really an awful place.....you (and us) would be much happier if you went somewhere else.....

Is posting positive things a requirement for posting here? I had no idea. Here I was acting a fool, thinking I could post about topics that interest me.

No, but being honest would be nice:rotfl2:

So give us the NUMBERS showing me how much cheaper Toyko is.

I have no problem with ANYTHING else you posted. But you seem to have given some people a false impression on the cost of trip to Toyko and I find that kind of strange. WHy?

I'm Johnny 5.

Sorry, but chatting on the Internet is not the same as having a conversation in person. In real life it would be a lot harder to get away from a person you didn't want to talk to. On the Internet it's more passive. No one was forced to click a thread called "Why I chose not to visit Walt Disney World".

I'm not going to go up to someone and suddenly tell them how much I dislike Disney World. However, if I happen to strike up a conversation with someone, as I sometimes do at Disneyland, the discussion invariably turns to Disney parks, and we will discuss what we both like and dislike about them.

If I were a troll I would have said, "disney world sucksksss!!! anybody who goes there si a moran.!!!" I didn't do anything that is even remotely close to trolling, a term people are far too quick to throw around when they don't like what they see.

I'm willing to bet you received more than your fair share of beatings during your illustrious school career. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter