Why hasn't Universal made a Harry Potter deluxe resort?

I have to say I agree about people underestimating the size and scope of the Harry Potter fandom.

In the last 5 years, I have seen a huge increase in the sale of Harry Potter merchandise, in a wide variety of shops, from accessories shops like Claires to clothes and homewares shops.

I used to live in Edinburgh, Scotland from 2003 to 2005, while J K Rowling was still writing the books. Back then, the books were popular and the first 2 films had been released BUT there was no where near the level of popularity there is today. I recently went back to Edinburgh and its turned into Harry Potter city. There are now multiple merchandise shops all over the city, and there are Harry Potter walking tours. It wasnt until a few years after I left Edinburgh I found out J K Rowling used to write in a cafe called The Elephant House in the centre of Edinburgh, now its a tourist attraction!

The same in London. Since the end of filming, they have turned the film studios into Harry Potter World. All the film sets are there as well as the huge amounts of props and behind the scenes features. You can walk into the real Great Hall and sit at one of the long tables, walk down the real Diagon Alley and see the real Knightbus. There are multiple versions of Harry Potter walking tours in London and every tourist shop as well as many regular shops all have ranges of Harry Potter merchandise.

The 10 year kids who grew up with the book releases and film releases have turned into 20 something superfans who now have the disposable income to buy the merchandise and visit Leavsden Studios in London and Universal Studios in California and Florida. They in turn influence the next generation , their own kids, nieces, nephews, cousins, younger siblings who start reading the books and watching the films

I mean of course hardcore fans think that, but not everyone is a hardcore fan or even a fan at all.

We are not hardcore fans by any means.......and we think it is one of the best themed areas we have ever seen. So do many, many people we know.....and I actually don’t know anyone who has seen it and hasn’t been impressed and sees the effect it has on people, even non fans!

If you really believe it won’t last, of course you are entitled to your opinion.....but it’s incorrect.

Potter and spin offs of Potter will be around for a LONG time.......

You only have to spend time in the Potter areas of the park for the shortest time to see how huge it is!

We are not hardcore fans by any means.......and we think it is one of the best themed areas we have ever seen. So do many, many people we know.....and I actually don’t know anyone who has seen it and hasn’t been impressed and sees the effect it has on people, even non fans!

If you really believe it won’t last, of course you are entitled to your opinion.....but it’s incorrect.

Potter and spin offs of Potter will be around for a LONG time.......

You only have to spend time in the Potter areas of the park for the shortest time to see how huge it is!
potter= star wars 2.0

And then my brain started to wander to other franchises that could make it big in the theme park world - Discworld, Valdemar, 50 Shades of Grey (ouch!)...

Right and they said the same thing about Star Wars back in 1977.

And its been 12 years since The Deathly Hallows book, and 8 since its movie. And its still going strong. My 5 year old really loves it and we only let her watch the first movie.

Harry Potter isn't the crazy-popular hit that it once was, and in 10 years the books will still have some fans, but it will mostly be replaced by whatever the next big thing is. The younger generation will have their own big-hit book series. Building a hotel around a single IP would be a bad move, financially.
I mean of course hardcore fans think that, but not everyone is a hardcore fan or even a fan at all.

I've actually only read the first book (in school ironically). I've seen all the movies though. I'm not a mega fan in that I know all these little details but I love the Harry Potter world. The immersion of the parks is so amazing. Actually my neighbor was talking about it last night to us. He's not even really a big fan of Disney World (as in he's not knowledgeable whatsoever really) but his kids love HP and loved loved loved HP in Universal (he said his kids actually preferred Universal over WDW). His eldest is 14 BTW.

I think the difference is looking at HP in terms of just a book series. It's not. It's so much more. You don't have to read the books to love the world created, you don't have to read the books to get even some of the details, and the idea of wizards, and magic and all sorts of things is something that can be loved by each new generation (and has been by previous generations before that).

And with Fantastic Beasts, they can enhance new areas with that too.....

Eh...yes HP fandom is large...which is why the FB movies have done ok at box office. But don't think they are that great that there will be a whole lot to pull from them to add to HP World. Wands and stuff yes, but wouldn't bet on any rides from that series. I liked the original HP movies, but have found the FB ones lacking... know that sentiment is shared by many outside the hardcore fans.

Universal will limit their exposure to one IP, as fandom can change. Yes, they are heavily invested in HP... but probably near the limits of what they are going to add unless they get rid of something else.

Eh...yes HP fandom is large...which is why the FB movies have done ok at box office. But don't think they are that great that there will be a whole lot to pull from them to add to HP World. Wands and stuff yes, but wouldn't bet on any rides from that series. I liked the original HP movies, but have found the FB ones lacking... know that sentiment is shared by many outside the hardcore fans.

Universal will limit their exposure to one IP, as fandom can change. Yes, they are heavily invested in HP... but probably near the limits of what they are going to add unless they get rid of something else.

I personally don’t like FB at all........but, there are some huge fans out there.......more than I realised. And Universal seem to recognise that.

I think you could be surprised what direction they could take Potter and Potter spin offs in........is it for me? Probably not, and I agree I don’t think they’ll be as big as original Potter...... but I still think there is huge potential......

I started reading the books and watching the movies with my sons when they were 7 years and 8 months old, respectively. They're now on the verge of 25 and 18. Some of our best and funniest memories are of midnight book releases, midnight movie showing and at home movie marathons. HP, to us, is much much more than a franchise, it's a part of our story.

I personally don’t like FB at all........but, there are some huge fans out there.......more than I realised. And Universal seem to recognise that.

I think you could be surprised what direction they could take Potter and Potter spin offs in........is it for me? Probably not, and I agree I don’t think they’ll be as big as original Potter...... but I still think there is huge potential......

I just don't think there's anything new in Fantastic Beasts to draw from, besides the beasts... and they felt like an add on in the last movie. With the new Hagrid ride, the beast angle is already taken. There's nothing like the originals introducing Hogwarts, the Express, quiddich , the dark forest, etc that the current rides are modeled after. It'd really be a stretch to pull any kind of ride out the FB movies so far... maybe a small shop with beast toys and such.

I just don't think there's anything new in Fantastic Beasts to draw from, besides the beasts... and they felt like an add on in the last movie. With the new Hagrid ride, the beast angle is already taken. There's nothing like the originals introducing Hogwarts, the Express, quiddich , the dark forest, etc that the current rides are modeled after. It'd really be a stretch to pull any kind of ride out the FB movies so far... maybe a small shop with beast toys and such.

I do actually agree with you. I believe the original Potter theme won’t be beaten by anything.

Knowing theme parks and how they progress I think they’ll stretch it all the same....

with all the hotel taxes they charge now, the only ones making money on hotels is the government, very few luxury hotels are being built anymore

Harry Potter isn't the crazy-popular hit that it once was, and in 10 years the books will still have some fans, but it will mostly be replaced by whatever the next big thing is. The younger generation will have their own big-hit book series. Building a hotel around a single IP would be a bad move, financially.

That doesn't seem quite accurate..my 7 year old cousins are obsessed with the books as is my little nephew who can't sit through the Star Wars movies but makes me bring him home a wand or other accessory whenever i go to Universal.

if HP wasn't a big hit for Universal why would they continue to put more money and work into the lands?

That doesn't seem quite accurate..my 7 year old cousins are obsessed with the books as is my little nephew who can't sit through the Star Wars movies but makes me bring him home a wand or other accessory whenever i go to Universal.

if HP wasn't a big hit for Universal why would they continue to put more money and work into the lands?
Yes, there are people who still like it, but it isn't what it once was. And future generations won't be as into it as current ones. An entire hotel themed to it won 't hold up interest over time.

My husband and I have been saying this for years! Like Cinderella castle.. I'd spend a stupid amount of $ to stay at Hogwarts. Or an HP themed hotel.

We met these people at Studios , My Dh was talking to them asked them if the saw HP... they were like meh looks like everything at home.... i guess the british are not that impressed. I would love it, the best part of all of it it total immersion. We want to stay in the star wars hotel so badly but with 40 rooms it looks like it will be awhile for ill get in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter