Why Epcot reigns supreme, no matter how neglected

I'm still really upset over the Norway redo. In a place that is supposed to celebrate nations and be about learning about other cultures, changing Maelstrom to FEA felt so wrong to me. I started going to Disney in the 1990, and Maelstrom quickly became MY must-do ride at Epcot. Haven't been on FEA yet, a bit out of protest.
Yes I think anyone who's been a long time Epcot person shares that sentiment. On the upside, FEA is a great example of Disneys "new school" animatronics. Much more expressive, life like, movement more fluid, etc. Doesnt make you miss the old ride any less but its something interesting to see

It will be interesting to see what Disney does with Epcot going forward. It's always good to see that so many people still appreciate it.

Just my opinion, but I don't think that Disney knows what the do with Epcot, or which direction to go with that park. In Future World, they're looking at IP themed attractions. Instead, what about a walk through with the history of Disney anamatronic? What about something with communications - radio, satellite, etc? What about celebrating inventors and inventions. Yes, i'm a history/science geek, and that's the kind of stuff I love.

In the WS, I've heard rumors of a Ratatouille ride in France. But, that's like dropping in FEA in Norway. I'd rather see more of the country's culture, folk dancers, or things like that than IP rides that are dimly related to the country.

I'm actually concerned at what will happen with Epcot in the future. I'm afraid that Disney is going to slowly make over the park and take away what we enjoy.

Another big Epcot fan here! I've always struggled to tell anyone why Epcot is my favorite, but OP and these replies are helping me put a finger on it. Love that it's more open space, even when it's busy there's still room to be comfortable. Love the entrance music and just the general atmosphere and feel of the park. I, too, hope it gets some love, while not losing whatever it is I can't put my finger on.

Yes I think anyone who's been a long time Epcot person shares that sentiment. On the upside, FEA is a great example of Disneys "new school" animatronics. Much more expressive, life like, movement more fluid, etc. Doesnt make you miss the old ride any less but its something interesting to see

I don't, but maybe that's because I was always mad at Maelstrom for not living up to the incredible looking concept art and description they had out while it was under construction. It showed and described going backwards over large waterfalls with tons of animatronic trolls around. I'll never forget seeing the construction walls with this on it:
norway.jpg

It made it look like it was going to be a big, steep backward drop, and my prepubescent self was so excited and anxious to experience it. What we got was a slow, shallow, small drop instead.

I enjoy Frozen Ever After and think it is well done for what they had to work with. And I'm happy it replaced this ride that lied to me when I was a kid (I can hold a grudge).

Just my opinion, but I don't think that Disney knows what the do with Epcot, or which direction to go with that park. In Future World, they're looking at IP themed attractions. Instead, what about a walk through with the history of Disney anamatronic? What about something with communications - radio, satellite, etc? What about celebrating inventors and inventions. Yes, i'm a history/science geek, and that's the kind of stuff I love.

In the WS, I've heard rumors of a Ratatouille ride in France. But, that's like dropping in FEA in Norway. I'd rather see more of the country's culture, folk dancers, or things like that than IP rides that are dimly related to the country.

I'm actually concerned at what will happen with Epcot in the future. I'm afraid that Disney is going to slowly make over the park and take away what we enjoy.

Yes, I definitely share that concern. At the same time though, if I have to sacrifice a little bit of what I love in order to keep Disney interested in upkeeping the park at-large, I'll take it

Communicor! And remember that House of the Future? Omg I remember thinking that "true mirror" was amazing. And that giant cordless phone you could actually call someone on? We did. Also, am I crazy or was there a place in Future World in the early to mid 90s where you could play a bunch of video games for free? We would seriously spend all day in FW and hit WS at night. Love, love, love Epcot, then AND now.

ETA: And nothing... NOTHING... beats that Parade of Nations they had in 2000. Amazing. Best parade and music ever.

Also, am I crazy or was there a place in Future World in the early to mid 90s where you could play a bunch of video games for free?
They still had kiosks where you could stand and play Disney video games in Innoventions until just last year.

I am in the group that believes that Epcot is a dim shadow of its former self. We still enjoy it, but it went from our favorite WDW park to our least favorite park over the last 20 years. I am happy for those who still enjoy it as much as you have in the past, but too much has been stripped out and not replaced for me to see it as you do.

Epcot remains our favorite park. We are spending three days at WDW next week, and two of them will be at Epcot. We love the food, the atmosphere, the street entertainment, talking to the World Showcase cast members. We adore Epcot.

That said, I'd love to see it receive a little updating and love -- other than acting as though Norway and Arendell are one and the same.
Yeah, a generation of kids will grow up thinking Arendell is a real country

I feel almost exactly the same way about EPCOT. I remember it when it was brand-spanking new and I was a wide-eyed kid. Man! I thought it was THE coolest place.

I went back a few more times as an older kid and young adult, and it still impressed me.

Then I went back last April, and totally got the "ghetto" vibe from Future World. It's like that shopping mall in your town that is slowly going out of business. More and more empty stores, metal gates permanently pulled down, kind of off-brand shops that come and go and a few big-name department stores that can hold their own until the whole place folds. Random, generic eateries in the eerily quiet food court.

That's how Future World felt to me last year. It made me sad, but EPCOT was still where we spent our last night, riding Spaceship Earth, walking to France to get an eclair, watching IllumiNations, and then loading up on souvenirs at MouseGears before finally relenting to the inevitable and heading back to the resort...*sniff*.

I think for me, what makes EPCOT so special is that there is absolutely nothing else like it. MK, for all its splendor, has counterparts in other Disney parks around the world, and is, when you get down to it, just a very (very!) nice theme park. Hollywood Studios is much the same, and again, it has similarities with Universal (I guess...never been to Universal). Animal Kingdom shares similarities with large zoos, obviously. But EPCOT? There's nothing else in the world like EPCOT.

I will admit that the World Showcase is my preferred half of the park now, but the nostalgia still endears Future World to me despite its decline.

I hope they give Future World some much needed attention one of these days.

I approach Epcot from two ideals: What it is and what it could be. Having been to the park in every year from its opening until today except for two (including 2017), I have a good sense of its evolution (or devolution). We enjoy the park, no doubt. But it could be so much more. It started out as a world's fair of innovation with a look at what our future might hold. Making dining reservations in real time with a live CM by face chat is a good example. How cool would it be to talk live, face to face? And now we do. I saw my first HDTV at Epcot's House of the Future. But that ideal has not kept pace. Epcot should have more of a CES feel to it. Show us what cool stuff is coming. Instead, Ellen and Bill show us how solar and wind energy will someday be our future. I doubt that Epcot will ever move back to the future (as it were) which makes me a bit sad. As do the decades old movies of France, China and Canada. So while I enjoy my time there, I know that there are things I would enjoy so much more. I am hoping that after Avatar in AK and Star Wars in DHS, Epcot will get the next major cash infusion.

Epcot is my favorite park. Used to be MK, but now Epcot because of World Showcase. I personally think it has an adult feel.

Epcot is kind of funny for me in a way.

I remember visiting when I was young, shortly after it was opened, and being amazed by how the future would look when I was older. Getting a cool stuff version of Figment to take back home was pretty great too.

When we visit now I find I see a lot of the same negatives that were pointed out in the OP. It's almost as if Disney has no idea what to do with the park because in terms of the 'future' we've run out of what ideas on what the future might look like. At least the type of future that would be something one could easily transform into an exhibit.

This leads us to the positive. We've had the chance to travel quite extensively around the world over the past few years so I now have a much greater appreciation for the World Showcase. This is actually where I wish they would invest more. Envisioning the future is difficult and in my opinion the bang for the buck just isn't there anymore. Creating exhibits from cultures around the world should be pretty simple.

One thing I wish they would do at Epcot is add a People Mover that could take you do between the World Showcase and Future World. It would be a great way to see the park without walking your feet off!

There's always the Friendship boats, I'm too impatient for them myself though!

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter