Why DVC?

+ 11% tax.

I was looking at the resort rates the other day and the tax has gone up .5% this year. Resort tax at Disney is now 11.5%....

I never thought I'd convince my husband to join, but the second he walked into a one-bedroom model and saw the whirlpool tub, I could tell he was sold. No more Holiday Inns! We'd never fork over the cash for that kind of accommodation, but paying points, that's a different matter.

We bought in 96, so our principal is paid off and we only pay the dues. Since we live in Florida, we go about three times a year on shorter trips, and all it costs are dues of about $40 a month. We've been to all the DVC resorts except Hilton Head.

The prepaid vacation angle is awesome, especially now that we're a one-income family with a toddler.

I was the one that needed convincing in our household even though I am the Disney nut. My biggest argument was that we never stayed anywhere other than a value or moderate resort and I was perfectly happy just going to Disney. Well my DH, being the manipulator that he is, said that he would give up smoking (which he did) and his cigarette money would cover the monthly note (and it does). I half-heartedly agreed and once I set foot in that one bedroom villa at BW, I never looked back.

For the last two years, we have gotten a two bedroom and had friends come with us. We rent the other bedroom to them and share the kitchen and washer/dryer for $100 per night. They are extremely happy to have those kind of accomodations for that price. Where else can you stay at Disney for that? It covers our dues for the year and we have great fun with great friends.

Oh, did I mention how much money we save by having that refrigerator and stove?

What has DVC given us? Accommodations that we otherwise could not afford, memories to last a lifetime and we are going on a cruise that we never would have taken.

Candleonwater, you've taken several trips during December. Were they during the lowest (Adventure or Choice) seasons (first three weeks) or during prime holiday (Premier) season? Also, you've mentioned a 6 year old. What are your vacation habits likely to look like in the coming years, with a child in school?

If you would be happy with a Disney Value room, such as the All Stars, then DVC may not be for you, IMHO, especially when buying at today's pricing. If you anticipate many Christmas holiday week vacations in your future or many long weekend stays (when points usage is highest), then DVC may not be for you.

OTOH... If you anticipate many stays at Disney Deluxe hotels (especially during low season or mostly midweek nights), take another look at DVC. That's where it can provide the best value.

Personally, I would never compare DVC costs with rack rates for renting DVC suites... because we would never pay cash to rent those costly suites. I would compare it with the onsite alternatives that we would pay to use, like a (probably discounted) room at AKL or the Contemp or two rooms at the All Stars (we're a family of 5). Or, since we do enjoy our offsite vacations, I would compare it to our costs for offsite stays in 2BR and 3BR timeshare condos. Neither of these comparisons really compare apples-to-apples in accommodations. But rather, they compare the costs of alternative vacations that our family would choose, with and/or without DVC, for the time frames that we would likely vacation.

So for us, DVC is not a good choice financially. Your situation may differ. Look at the comparisons for your family's expected usage, both ways. HTH. :)

The 1 real reason for just about all of us is this:

We love Disney and all things about it..We're junkies pure and simple

When I told our accountant about our purchase (which I dreaded doing) and about the free passes (incentive at that time) he congratulated me on a wise purchase. His daughter in law now owns 450 points at BWV per his advice!

Something no one has brought up- It's just no fun to share a regular hotel room (and single bath!) when that little one becomes a "big one". When DH and I bought in DS was 15. We had NEVER stayed onsite. We had already gotten to the point where we were getting 2 room ressies at off site hotels, or suite-type accomodations so we could have a little privacy. We just didn't want to share our "bedroom" with a teenager for a week.

When we walked into that 1 bdrm it was all over but the signing. The quality of vacation was much better! We had privacy, we didn't have to commute in the Orlando/Kissimmee traffic snarl, and DS could go off a bit on his own because of WDW transportation. The cost of 2 rooms or a suite offsite plus 11.5% tax, plus parking fees come much closer to the DVC costs. Once my accountant husband figured in inflation increases, we figured our break even would be 5 to 6 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter