Why does every ride need to be a movie now? Haunted Mansion reboot

DuckTalesFan32

Earning My Ears
In 2003, there was a Haunted Mansion movie. It bombed and the ride remained it's own original attraction instead of being based on a movie. Now Disney is trying for a reboot of a Haunted Mansion movie, as well as making a Jungle Cruise movie. What's next? A Thunder Mountain or Expedition Everest film? Maelstrom in Epcot was already changed to a Frozen ride. Why can't rides just be rides, with their own stories? Why do they always have to be based on movies now?

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a33838946/disney-haunted-mansion-reboot-writer/

Well, I prefer movies based on rides over rides based on movies - at least, as long as they are good. I mean POTC worked out pretty well. The rides would stilll be original.

It is getting a bit ridiculous, I agree. Hopefully they'll stop after the remake of Haunted Mansion. Also the 'origin of' movies that seem to be the thing to do too are getting tiresome.

Cuz they have no original ideas left?
I've often wondered that too, not just about Disney but all of the movie industry. There seems to be little new and fresh out there. Superheroes have been way overdone as have a lot of the violent action flicks (which I don't care for anyway) reboots and sequels. It's almost as if they're all afraid to take a leap of faith and try something completely original. It could prove costly but these studios can afford to try.

I've often wondered that too, not just about Disney but all of the movie industry. There seems to be little new and fresh out there. Superheroes have been way overdone as have a lot of the violent action flicks (which I don't care for anyway) reboots and sequels. It's almost as if they're all afraid to take a leap of faith and try something completely original. It could prove costly but these studios can afford to try.

Part of the issue is that movies have become more and more expensive and audiences are gravitating to the very high value productions. It's one thing to roll the dice on a $50M picture, but $250M? A lot of producers are gonna pass and try to make more of a sure thing. Disney has tried a few original pictures and they have mostly done poorly. For better or worse, the superheroes and remakes are what sell. Unless you have a James Cameron or Steven Speiberg come along with an original idea, there is little interest in taking the chance, and even then - Alita Battle Angel and Ready Player One both did just okay. I would love to see a return to smaller budget filmmaking for some projects, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Last edited:
The same question can be asked as to why every movie needs a theme park attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter