Why do you have the passion for camping at Fort Wilderness?

CCIntrigue...you've been around for a good while on the DIS...and I sure respect your opinions and value your input. Could you tell us about some of the campgrounds that are better than the fort, and what attractions make them more fun.....I would love to take my family somewhere that compares to the fort for less money, and now that we have finally gotten a camper...Im ready to roll!!!

BDR, It isn't that attractions make other campgrounds more fun ... nothing can compare to Disney! But as for the camp sites themselves ...

My absolute favorite is Outdoor Resorts St. Lucie West. Privately owned sites that are rented out by the owners who have spent tens of thousands on landscaping. No amenities except pools and a golf course, but such a nice, laid-back vacation. Across the street from the NY Mets training facility, 20 minutes to great beaches. Good bicycling. Restaurants and shopping nearby.

Another great campground is Outdoor Resorts Hilton Head. Not as nice as OR SLW, but still great. Nice pool, laid-back atmosphere. 1 mile to the beach, restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Hilton Head has bicycle trails all over the island.

Another of my favorite campgrounds is Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. We go there several times a year. Yes, you're packed in like sardines with no shade. But you can reserve a specific site and you have the ocean at your doorstep. Constant activities, great security. Huge pool, mini golf, great campground store, the owners are wonderful. You could stay there for many days without leaving the campground. 100+ golf courses in the area, outlet shopping, more restaurants than you can imagine, lots of activities in the area.

Treasure Coast in Ft. Pierce, Fl, is also very nice.

Hope this helps!

CCIntrigue... for the record, do either of these resorts allow pop-up campers? Or any kind of trailer for that matter? IIRC most OR are rather snooty about what class of camper they allow in. That in itself may be a selling feature for some, but very un-Fiend-ly, IMO.

:santa:

BDR, It isn't that attractions make other campgrounds more fun ... nothing can compare to Disney! But as for the camp sites themselves ...

My absolute favorite is Outdoor Resorts St. Lucie West. Privately owned sites that are rented out by the owners who have spent tens of thousands on landscaping. No amenities except pools and a golf course, but such a nice, laid-back vacation. Across the street from the NY Mets training facility, 20 minutes to great beaches. Good bicycling. Restaurants and shopping nearby.

Another great campground is Outdoor Resorts Hilton Head. Not as nice as OR SLW, but still great. Nice pool, laid-back atmosphere. 1 mile to the beach, restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Hilton Head has bicycle trails all over the island.

Another of my favorite campgrounds is Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. We go there several times a year. Yes, you're packed in like sardines with no shade. But you can reserve a specific site and you have the ocean at your doorstep. Constant activities, great security. Huge pool, mini golf, great campground store, the owners are wonderful. You could stay there for many days without leaving the campground. 100+ golf courses in the area, outlet shopping, more restaurants than you can imagine, lots of activities in the area.

Treasure Coast in Ft. Pierce, Fl, is also very nice.

Hope this helps!

I live down the street from the SLW one. I can second your opinion. (and don't forget that I live nearby and can take you where you want to go!)

because we just bought a new 5th wheel!

This will be our first time staying at FW. We were at POR three years ago.

You know that sign of Musket Mickey many of you make tee-shirts from? Well, I printed one out and make a wooden sign for our campsite. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm can't seem to post one.

Maybe you can October campers can see it then.

I live down the street from the SLW one. I can second your opinion. (and don't forget that I live nearby and can take you where you want to go!)

Hmm...:scratchin...I know, we could camp in Jen's driveway! :cool1:

CCIntrigue... for the record, do either of these resorts allow pop-up campers? Or any kind of trailer for that matter? IIRC most OR are rather snooty about what class of camper they allow in. That in itself may be a selling feature for some, but very un-Fiend-ly, IMO.

:santa:

OR SLW is Class A only. While the people who run the resort may be a little "snooty" about Class As, the people who stay at the resort are definitely very nice.

OR Hilton Head allows trailers -- not sure about pop-ups, but that info is probably on their web site.

Ocean Lakes allows anything. I've even seen people camping there in horse trailers!

Rog, you can stay down here in SLW and I allow pop ups and at the very low cost of free.:thumbsup2

(I even have beer in the fridge)

IT'S A DISNEY THING..... we just don't need to explain :goodvibes

there are people we know that just don't get it and never will... i think all us fort fiends were born with ears. :earsboy:

No better explanation. Fort fiends also have "a look" when they talk about the fort. There's something that just keeps bringing us back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter