Why Do People Say Things Like This

I have gone to WDW 4 times in the last 5 years and the one year that I didn't, I went to DL. Every one was solo! This year I am going with my entire family and although I expect it to be fun, I am sure that there will be times when I will long for the solo part again.

What people say never has been a factor. In fact, I don't even recall what people have said. Whatever it was wasn't significant enough for me to consider it anything, rude or otherwise.

It's one of the up sides of being dead inside. I am oblivious to the outside world and anything that is said there.

I always get comments about going to Disney solo, but I just found this one kind of rude, "You're 23 and going to WDW alone for a week. Don't you have any friends to go with? That's just depressing to me."

Don't people get that I go to Disney solo because I like too? I find the alone time very relaxing, even if my idea of "relaxing" is running around a theme park.

I wish I could go by myself (but with 3 kids, I think they deserve to go, too.) Dh and I actually plan on each picking a morning to go to the park alone while the other gets the kids ready for a later morning. I'm looking forward to my morning. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing if it makes you happy.

I'm local and sometimes I go without my DH when he's stuck working on the weekend, or if I get a day off during the week. I always used to worry people would think I had no friends, but most people just ask me if I work there.

Eat at places I want.
That's the main reason I love going solo. When I went years ago, (when I was in high school,) with my parents, they did not want to spend money on food, and for lunch they'd bring in sandwiches, (tuna salad too, which I usually won't eat, and I know I didn't eat it then, since it had been in a bag for hours at that point, and was completely nasty by lunch,) and CS for dinner.

The first time I went solo I was 21, and I ate almost exclusivly at TS restaurants, and didn't have anyone I had to compromise with.

When I went with my mom last year, she let me pick the restaurants, and since we had the DDP, I didn't have to hear her worry about cost, but she did make it known that she was going to pay for nothing OOP, so I ended up paying for two characters meals for us both OOP.

DF and I were supposed to go together last year, but we had to cancel that trip when he ended up in the hospital the day before we were supposed to go. He is the one person I really would love to go to Disney with, since he let me pick all the restaurants, and he didn't mind me booking an extra character breakfast, which again would be OOP.

Anyway, I do love being able to go to Disney solo, and I don't really let people's comments get to me, but I just found that comment especially rude.

I love my solo trips..Did anything and everything I wanted to do. Had to wait for noone..Single rider line for Everest rocks. 5 times in20 mins. Always seemed to get placed in really good seats for different attractions and resturaunts. And did i mention I didn't have to wait on anyone?

I always get comments about going to Disney solo, but I just found this one kind of rude, "You're 23 and going to WDW alone for a week. Don't you have any friends to go with? That's just depressing to me."

Don't people get that I go to Disney solo because I like too? I find the alone time very relaxing, even if my idea of "relaxing" is running around a theme park.

I once went on vacation alone. I went to Jamaica to an all-inclusive resort for a week. People thought I was crazy or were sad for me, but it was one of the BEST things i ever did.

It was SO much fun to not have anyone else impeding on the things I wanted to do and WHEN i wanted to do them.

Gotta tell ya' you'll here some rendition of that comment no matter what age. I did my first trip solo last September at 48. I was all ways getting comments about couldn't I find ANYONE to go with me.

I had a blast, rode Dinosaur 4 times in a row. Ate where and when and what I wanted. Slept in.

Have a wonderful solo trip.

I think if you can do a solo trip that is awesome. You get to do everythign you want to do. I am doing my first solo trip for a weekend in April. I cannot wait!!!

I agree the comment was somewhat rude and insensitive, but I have a bit of a different perspective. I absolutely hate doing things by myself. Really, I don't like to do much of anything without some sort of company. I wonder if perhaps the person who made that comment is the same way, and perhaps just doesn't quite "get" the idea of going on a trip alone. It certainly wouldn't be much fun for me.

I'd love to do a solo trip someday.....go commando when I want, sit and people watch when I want, relax by to pool when I want, eat where I want, etc.

I always plan our trips making sure that there is something for everyone, everyone's happy, etc. It would be pretty cool just to do whatever, whenever!:thumbsup2

On my last trip, I felt like I was going with a 2-year old. My friend couldn't go back to the room by herself, so when she got tired at 10PM, back to the room we went.

I need to find more commando people with which to travel.

I'm more like your friend; I gave up the commando touring thing years ago and go much more slowly now, savoring every minute. I get back to my room most nights before 12, and often cut my day short to relax in my room with a book, a TV show, or to look through my pics or surf the boards.

And that's exactly why I love solo trips, too - because I don't have to inflict my touring style on anybody else, nor do I have to have someone else inflict theirs on me. It's a win-win situation!

Lots of people have no concept of being happy alone.

Exactly! I, on the other hand, have always been happier alone than with most other people.

That's the main reason I love going solo. When I went years ago, (when I was in high school,) with my parents, they did not want to spend money on food, and for lunch they'd bring in sandwiches, (tuna salad too, which I usually won't eat, and I know I didn't eat it then, since it had been in a bag for hours at that point, and was completely nasty by lunch,) and CS for dinner.

The first time I went solo I was 21, and I ate almost exclusivly at TS restaurants, and didn't have anyone I had to compromise with.

When I went with my mom last year, she let me pick the restaurants, and since we had the DDP, I didn't have to hear her worry about cost, but she did make it known that she was going to pay for nothing OOP, so I ended up paying for two characters meals for us both OOP.

DF and I were supposed to go together last year, but we had to cancel that trip when he ended up in the hospital the day before we were supposed to go. He is the one person I really would love to go to Disney with, since he let me pick all the restaurants, and he didn't mind me booking an extra character breakfast, which again would be OOP.

Anyway, I do love being able to go to Disney solo, and I don't really let people's comments get to me, but I just found that comment especially rude.

I tend to be the opposite - when at WDW solo I eat mostly CS food. I love all the CS options in the parks and resorts! But again, going solo means that I don't have to inflict that preference on anyone else, or put up with someone elses insitence that every meal be a $30 TS.

I'm also jealous; I didn't get to go to WDW at all till I was 21, and didn't go solo till I was 30.

Lots of people have no concept of being happy alone. (I'll just add that DH wasn't being controlling or anything, just making conversation. Don't want anyone thinking badly of my hubbie, he's awsome!! just a lot more social than I am!!)

I think this says it all. My DH is exactly the same way you are. He loves to goto the movies,trips and many other things solo. He's a quiet person and enjoys just being alone doing things. After 12 years of marriage, I honestly still do not get it. I am such a people person. At 23 I was single, but wouldn't have dreamed of vacationing solo. it simply never would have crossed my mind to go alone and enjoy myself. When I planning a vacation then, it just would have been natural for me (speaking only for myself) to include other people.

Now, at 36 with four kids, I still don't plan things for myself but I certainly see how much fun it could be.

my point, through all this rambling, is that some people don't understand it. I don't think comments like that are always made to be rude, but perhaps just by misguided (for lack of a better word) people such as myself.

I find it depressing when someone can't simply enjoy their own company and has to always rely on others to make life interesting.

I've been to WDW solo twice and I had a wonderful time !!

Almost all my trips to Disney have been solo (family did not get Mouse bit as I did). I must say though that while there most days are spent with other solo folks, or families from the boards here. But the days or times when I truly am solo while there are very, very enjoyable. :thumbsup2

My first trip to WDW was back in 1982 and I was 28 and I have been hooked on WDW ever since. The only person in my family that gets Disney like I do is my son, and in 2003 he was in college so I decided to go on a solo trip. People thought I was crazy but I loved it, I got up early for the early entry (which my family hates to do) I went on the rides I liked multiple times. I got to read my book by the pool.
Since then I have been to WDW by myself quite a few time. I am like WillCAD, I do not do commando and I very rarely eat at the TS, I do the CS, except for my one indulgence which is the afternoon Tea at the GF. I love to sit and people watch. When you go with others you feel as though you are taking away their park time when you just sit and relax. I take a break in the afternoon, I go back to the parks and stay for as long as I want. If I'm tired I'll make an early evening of it.
When I tell people I am going by myself they ask me if I go on the rides?? What a silly question, what do they think I do roam around the parks aimlessly?
I think some people are just afraid to do things alone. Although I do wonder if I would have tried going by myself had I had not found these boards and read others solo trip postings.

Let's be honest. It's more fun to share the experiences with someone you are compatible with and who shares your excitement. But for many people that's not an option. Why stay home? I say go and have a good time!

The one thing I absolutely refuse to do is being part of a large group. I did that once in Las Vegas, and it was a nightmare. Way too much time coordinating and accommodating.

I wouldn't have the nerve to go by myself. I think it's great that you do and that you enjoy it so much. I say "You go girl" and have a great time and don't worry about what others think!!! (But if you want someone to go with, you could always give me a call :laughing: :laughing: )

Have a wonderful trip :)

I think it's awesome that you go solo...I was actually planning on doing a solo trip for my birthday this year but then other plans got in the way, so I may end up taking one in late fall / early winter 2008.

I echo what others have said...it's fun because you make your own schedule. You eat when you want, you wake up when you want, and if you want a day by the pool to read and enjoy a few fruity drinks, you can do that too. It's harder to do this with friends or family, since most people want to go-go-go and not take any rest time.

Good for you - keep taking those solo trips! You know what, if you haven't yet, you should do a Trip Report for your next trip. I'm sure that other solo travelers (and maybe those that are thinking about it) would really enjoy that!

I got the same thing. I went straight down to Universal after I graduated college in May 07. It was last minute and I got a great deal with an AP (plus I was planning on moving to Orlando soon...I've since scrapped that idea). "Why would you go alone?" became really annoying. I had a great time, especially skipping those lines thanks to staying on site. I have to say I did burn through a lot of cellular minutes though since I was by myself! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter