Why did they drain and evacuate Grizzly?

No clue. It shows a 5 min, wait time this morning, so it may have reopened...

Well... I don’t have any specific information on this one, but usually if a water recreation area gets drained it’s due to some sort of contamination. In a pool it may be due to vomit or fecal matter, but I’m sure Disney has better methods for handling that level of contamination than a full drain of that much water.

People do stupid stuff on that ride. We’ve had reports of people literally getting out of the rafts and into the water while the ride was going for fun (obviously this is horribly dangerous and grounds for being banned from the park if you live through it). The evacuation could have been caused by anything and you may never know why, a guest emergency, a stupid guest, a ride malfunction...

sounds like a mechanical breakdown of the pumping system. evacuation through the river bed would seem to be the least preferred option.

could also be electrical. may have lost power for the pumps.

Last edited:
Disney doesn't exactly release this kind of info, unless they have to. Your daughter and other riders are probably the best source at the moment.

Disney doesn't exactly release this kind of info, unless they have to. Your daughter and other riders are probably the best source at the moment.
She doesn’t know why. They were not given a reason. I was just hoping someone else here might have been on at the same time and heard or seen something different.

Probably a kid pooped in the pool.
That happened at the Contemporary over Spring Break. They don’t drain the pool, they treat it with chemicals and wait for the numbers to get back to a safe reading. I asked because I was curious why no one was in the pool.

That happened at the Contemporary over Spring Break. They don’t drain the pool, they treat it with chemicals and wait for the numbers to get back to a safe reading. I asked because I was curious why no one was in the pool.
Often they'll say something like "we're just cycling through the filtering system" or "we're just checking the chemical levels" - vague enough that a lot of people don't realize they mean poop in the pool!

The way they evacuate the ride is to drain the water down to the level of a boardwalk of sorts to walk you off. So the need to evacuate probably caused the drainage, not the other way around.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts