Why did they do this to the Monte Cristo?

disneymum58

DIS Veteran
I ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich from Cafe Orleans last week and it’s definitely not what I’ve had in the past. It was overcooked and parts were hard to bite into. The jam was orange marmalade and the taste didn’t work for me as well as the blackberry jam. The fries were thick, where before they were the shoestring kind. There was hardly any seasoning and very little Parmesan cheese.
I just thought I’d let people know. I was disappointed and was looking forward to what it used to be like.

Attachments

• 49493982-67B9-419A-BBE1-7E28D6A5D994.jpeg
    49493982-67B9-419A-BBE1-7E28D6A5D994.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 151
They’ve slowly taken away all my favorites at Cafe Orleans. If they’re going to ruin the pommes frites too there’s no reason to go anymore. I can only hope this is the result of a temporary supply issue. Otherwise the only explanation is they are actively trying to piss people off.

Apparently they have no idea what a Monte Cristo is…NEVER, NEVER, NEVER with orange marmalade..it has to be berries in order to get the complementary flavor. This looks horrible.

Well, the good thing is no reason to worry about ADRs…there’s nothing worth eating anymore 😂

Those fries are also at Red Rose Tavern, but the skinny fries are still everywhere else in the park, so it can't be a supply issue.

It looks like the sandwich was simply overfried. I would have asked for a new one.

The food quality has slipped in many places lately, though. Tough pot roast at Plaza Inn and Docking Bay 7, greasy, soggy fried chicken at Plaza Inn, dry, tasteless cold burgers at Red Rose Tavern, etc.

Thanks for sharing. This was one of the ADRs I was hoping to get for this particular meal, but this has me definitely rethinking that.

We haven’t eaten at Cafe Orleans in YEARS! Once they got rid of the chopped chicken salad (don’t remember the actual name), and the coconut cake (amazing!) we never went back.

I ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich from Cafe Orleans last week and it’s definitely not what I’ve had in the past. It was overcooked and parts were hard to bite into. The jam was orange marmalade and the taste didn’t work for me as well as the blackberry jam. The fries were thick, where before they were the shoestring kind. There was hardly any seasoning and very little Parmesan cheese.
Oh no! We had a Monte Cristo at the beginning of the month (fried properly) and it had the shoestring fries that seemed to have plenty of cheese and herbs. It was served with the orange marmalade, though (I would have preferred the berry jam). Hopefully just supply chain issues (I feel like I say that all the time now...)

The sandwhich doesn't seem too bad - overcooked int he example, but the marmelade doesn't bother me too much. The fires though...! That's a travesty!

I was just looking through the menus for our upcoming trip in June. The menu choices seem pretty narrow. Hopefully they'll be able to expand them soon.

Other than the marmalade (which is a travesty for sure), it looks pretty good to me. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the fries because I usually get the sandwich at BB, and I don't even remember fries coming with the sandwich!

Yes the fried chicken was sadly no better (maybe worse) than Knotts. I've always said Disney has the best fried chicken, I was there about a week ago and wondered what happened. Soggy and bland, and the sad thing is, she had just refilled the chicken so I was hoping it would be crisp. Glad I didn't bother with Cafe Orleans, never got to try the infamous pommel frites.
Those fries are also at Red Rose Tavern, but the skinny fries are still everywhere else in the park, so it can't be a supply issue.

It looks like the sandwich was simply overfried. I would have asked for a new one.

The food quality has slipped in many places lately, though. Tough pot roast at Plaza Inn and Docking Bay 7, greasy, soggy fried chicken at Plaza Inn, dry, tasteless cold burgers at Red Rose Tavern, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!