Why can't I get a decent photo on that blasted Peter Pan ride?

Your wife had an excellent idea. I love the castle framing those magical parade shots. Icing on cake!

It's sad that your son had to witness the seizure. Even if it weren't serious, it would still be enough to frighten a child, so I think it was wise to end the evening there.

I'm looking forward to your Wishes pics-- hope you made it to Main Street!

Wow, I love your photos!
Hi norybell. Thank you very much. I take a lot of pictures so some are bound to turn out :)

How fun! But is it me or does Anastasia have some chest hairs?!! (must be my eyes - my daughter says it's freckles. :rotfl2:)
Hi heaven2dc,
LOL ...well I went back to look at my higher resolution orignials and I think your daughter is right on this one.

Love these pics of the Fairies!
They really looked great and had wonderful smiles. I just wish it was easier to see them.

These are SO cute! I remember the last time I visited Mickey & Minnie's houses, they had the rooms roped off. Can't wait to take my grandson next year - he'll be three and really will enjoy it!
They do an outstanding job with the details in these houses. Actually everywhere in the parks but these houses are great when you take more time and look around. My kids loved Mickey and Minne's houses. I bet your grandson will have a blast.

I've definitely got to purchase one of these for my next trip! Can it adapt to any point and shoot or just to a camera like yours?
Oh yes, as long as your camera has a screw hole on the bottom (and I am not sure I have ever seen one that does not) you can use one of these. Just be careful to make it stable. There are different models of these gorillapods which get progressively stronger to handle heavier cameras. I recommend buying one that is rated to handle more weight than your actual camera so that it is sturdy enough. The one I have is manufactured by a company called Joby but there are also other manufacturers with similar products. You can find these on amazon but also many other places if you search.

Your pics are absolutely amazing! :love: I can't recall whether you said but are your pics taken without a flash inside the attractions?
Thank you.
Regarding flash photography, I never use my flash on indoor rides. This is important because of several reasons.
1. Disney usually has a policy to prohibit flash photography and they will announce it or have a sign (but it may be easy to miss)
2. It can be distracting to other guests in a dark ride with a flash going off constantly during the ride.
3. The flash may uncover things that you are not intended to see such as wires that ruin some of the magic.
4. I usually prefer not to use one

I don't use my flash on indoor shows either such as lion king or Nemo but I am not sure if there are policies on this. It is probably best to ask a CM while entering what the policy is.

Your wife had an excellent idea. I love the castle framing those magical parade shots. Icing on cake!

It's sad that your son had to witness the seizure. Even if it weren't serious, it would still be enough to frighten a child, so I think it was wise to end the evening there.

I'm looking forward to your Wishes pics-- hope you made it to Main Street!

Hi Missus Toad.
Yes, I have to give my wife credit on this one. It is definitely a vantage point I will look for in the future.

I'll get to it later in the report but I checked on the CM later and he was ok but it was indeed an unpleasant experience at the time.

As far as Wishes we'll see if I had any success with it. I'll keep you in suspense :)

Hi, I just found your report today and I'm all caught up! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!

Denise

Hi, just found your report today, and I'm drooling over the FANTASTIC photos! You really have a great talent. And a pat on the back to your wife for suggesting the castle background--perfect!

Hi, I just found your report today and I'm all caught up! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!

Denise
Hi Denise. I am glad you found me. Thank you for very much your comments :)

Hi, just found your report today, and I'm drooling over the FANTASTIC photos! You really have a great talent. And a pat on the back to your wife for suggesting the castle background--perfect!
Thank you as well soldiers mom. I take a lot of pictures so I am bound to get some that turn out. My wife though deserves all the credit due :)

Happy Halloween everyone!! Sorry, I may not make progress on the trip report this weekend. We are away at my parents house. Here is what I spent hours working on tonight. The lighting is not the best but by the time I finished up I was too tired to play it.

IMG_0639b.jpg

The things parents do for their kids!

I hope you have a great Halloween.

Hello. I am back..ready to start Day 6...

It did not start out a good day. As soon as I woke up I felt the dread of a cold starting to storm its way into my system. I was hoping that it was just some allergies but I could tell from how it felt that this was more than that. Ugh, this happens too frequently on these trips. The plethora of germs freely available for the taking at Disney combined with constantly moving between 90+ degree heat and blasting AC might have something to do with it. Anyway, there is nothing to do but to forge ahead. Today is our Disney Hollywood Studios day. If not for the fact that I had seen too many horror stories of Toy Story Midway Mania outrageous wait times and Fast Passes running out before noon we may have taken our time to get there. I didn't want to rush to get anyone up early because we had 7:50 PM Dinner reservations at Narcossee's where I planned to also watch wishes while eating and I didn't want everyone to run out of steam by then. As it turns out my wife and kids were ready to go on their own somewhat early (for us) and we made it to the park only 10 minutes after opening. Even though the initial surge of people would already be there at TSMM we headed there first. I figured we would grab a FP and come back later. When we go there though there was a big line of people at the FP machines but the standby line was only 20 minutes. Good deal, we jumped on the standby line and figured we would grab FP on the way out.

I am glad we hit the standby line at least once because if you only go through the FP line you will miss out on a lot of the theming they have set up in the queuing area for the ride including the piece de resistance, Mr Potato Head.

large.jpg

He is quite impressive for pre-ride entertainment purposes. You should see him at least once if you can avoid a horrific wait time on the standby line. I took other pictures of the waiting area and though none of them really reach out and grab me I will post some to give you an idea of what it looks like.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

This was our first experience at TSMM but I was ready to do battle. I had downloaded the game on my iphone a few weeks before the trip and I was prepared to score some big points (or so I thought). As it turns out the iphone app is not quite the ultimate training tool for this ride that I had hoped. My wife pasted me. I still thought it was a great ride and had to admit that it is better than Buzz since that is the obvious comparison. When we got out, the FP line had died down so I immediately went over and got FP. The return time was before 1PM, not bad. The standby line wait time was now 40 min. My wife wanted to go around again. Beating me brings so much joy to her life. OK, sure I we can. I would love to redeem myself and serve up a little revenge. That first attempt was just a practice round to warm up. Now it's "go time". When we got in the line it was actually not any longer than our first go around on this so the 40 min posted was actually less than that. Got to love it when that happens. We also had some extra entertainment this time around in line. Mr Potato Head was playing around and he took his ear out and in the process of returning it missed the hole and it dropped to the floor. It's all fun and games until someone loses and ear. Here is a pic Mr Head missing his appendage.

large.jpg

Eventually a CM came to perform the operation to re-attach the ear. I was worried because the ear was not on ice and you never know if these things will take but the operation was a complete success. The CM got a well deserved round of applause and all was right with Mr Potato Head once more.

large.jpg

When we eventually made it around the second time I was again trounced by my wife. What's going on here? This is not supposed to happen. She is scoring 140-150K and I am well below at a paltry 110-115K. I was pulling that string back at a mad pace too. I think I need a new strategy on this.

After my wife was done showing me who is boss we were not sure what to do next. We were near the backlot tour so we decided to give it a go. We have been through this attraction before on a previous trip but not in the past couple trips. We went though the opening act and I came to the conclusion that they can lose this whole part of the attraction and I would be ok with it. I was wishing there was a way to bypass it and head straight to the tour. This is where they grab some audience members and act out a scene with special effects. There is nothing here to wow you though unless you are the people on stage or know them. Otherwise it is a whole lot of people watching some bad acting and fairly unimpressive special effects by today's standards. Well, I suppose the acting can be humorous if you get the right people but that has not been the case for us. It may be hit or miss but is has been a miss for us. Anyway, we took the tram tour next and I changed my mind about the getting rid of the opening act. I now think they can lose the entire attraction and I wouldn't shed any tears. Either that or they should rework it to make it more interesting. OK, I suppose the climax at the end with the water scene adds some excitement but the rest was pretty much a snoozer. Perhaps it was my declining health that factored in to my mindset I am not sure. This attraction had little to captivate me though and probably won't be on top of our list as a repeat for future trips. Sorry, for anyone who likes the tour. Just my opinion from this go around. Here is the water scene.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

After we got of the tram we did enjoy the area you walk through on your way out where they have figures of various villains. This was probably our favorite part of the attraction. Especially the Darths since my son goes gaga over Star Wars. My attempt at capturing Darth Vader was not good. It is really dark in there and he is not helping the cause with his all black attire. I did like the Darth Maul pic though.

large.jpg

large.jpg

While walking out of the Backlot tour building we saw a sign for Monsters Inc meet and greet. My wife is not going to let us pass this by so we hopped on line. If you end up on line here, check out the bulletin board while waiting. It is a lot of fun.

large.jpg

Since this is too small for you to read I will give an example:

Top Ten Rules of Comedy
1. Punchline does not mean hit the child.
2. Don't howl at your own jokes.
3. Tentacles funny. Razor sharp claws not funny.
4. Multiple heads should speak one at a time.
5. No claws for tickling.
6. Scared kids don't laugh.
7. Try not to hurt the audience.
8. Always keep sharp spikes in!
9. You won't get a laugh if you don't take a bath.
10. Never let them see you slobber.

I got a kick out of this especially #9. There is lots of other funny stuff on this board. If you are there, look it over.

We made it through and got our pictures. Note that they don't do autographs.

monsters_inc1.jpg

monsters_inc2.jpg

After this the family was getting a little hungry. We headed to studio catering but it was still too early to be open so instead we went to watch Muppet Vision 3D. I have always liked the muppets from way, way back from when I was a young lad. I have seen some people who say this is getting old for them but I always get a kick out of it.

These 2 guys are a crack up.
large.jpg

After the movie, we can now go get some food. We headed to ABC commissary. My goodness I have seen some bad reviews on this place. I am not going to say that the place is one of Disney's best but it was actually not that bad. In the past we have ordered a Cuban SW and it was pretty good. We were disappointed to see that it was no longer there but I had curry chicken and it was actually very good. We also had fish and chips and burger meals. OK, the burger is not the best so I can understand lousy reviews based on that but the fish and chips went over well with the family. While eating my wife said we should not stay too long today. I have no issue with that since this is my least fav park and I am feeling worse as the day is progressing. My son was starting to feel run down also so taking it easy today seemed like a great idea. While eating we called SIL and they had arrived but they were headed off to TSMM and we had our FP already that were not due yet so we decided we would continue our separate ways.

One attraction that is a must for my son is Star Tours. So this was next up after lunch. The queue area is great on this attraction but if you want pictures go on the right side. We were on the left and all the best photo ops seemed to be on the other side. I snapped a quick pic when there was a break in the other line. It is not the best but I had to rush it a little.
large.jpg

When we got off Star Tours we of course had to stop in the dump out shop. This is a dangerous store since my son is crazy about all things Star Wars. My daughter decided she wanted a little stuffed Ewok. I have a suspicion that my son influenced this decision but I owed her since I got the Yeti for my son the previous day so we brought in yet another new member of our family. He ended up to be a free spirit though and as you will see he decided that being part of our clan was not the life for him. So if you want to get an Ewok keep an eye on him.

Our FP time for TSMM was now ready so we headed back so that I could finally show my wife that I actually have some skills.

large.jpg

Once again our scores were in the same ranges and I was a beaten man. I had to give it up to the my wife. It was obvious. I just don't have what it takes to compete with her on this. On the way out we grabbed one more FP but we were not sure we were going to be around long enough to use it since the return time was after 6PM.

Continued in next post.....

After we were done having my wife showing me who's the boss we made our way over to the Little Mermaid. I have to give props to Ariel on this show. she was on top of her game. I think her singing was outstanding.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Beauty and the Beast was up next. I have to admit my eyelids were getting heavy on this one. It is a decent enough show but I was definitely feeling more tired and run down by now. Duty calls though so I toughed it out to fire off some pictures of the show.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

When we exited my wife showed an interest in RnRC. We've never done this but there is no way my kids are going to get on it. At this point I was not up for it either so I told her to go and ride it and I will take the kids to Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. I can just sit down there and shut my eyes and relax and when she is done we will leave. Before she headed off though, she called her sis to see if they want our FP for TSM. You betcha they did, but they were experiencing the wondrous backlot tour. Too late for me to warn them. She tells them to meet me at the playground when they are done to pick up the tickets and then I headed off with the kids.

Once we got to HISTK, I found a place out of the way of the running kids and sat and closed my eyes to rest. Fortunately my kids are not at the age where I need to keep an eye on them. I used to worry here though when they were younger since you can lose sight of them pretty easily. We were there a long time and eventually my wife showed up. Still no sign of SIL family and I was eager to skedaddle to resort. How the backlot tour can take that long is beyond me and if it actually did take long I feel sorry for them. We waited together some more and even the kids were now getting antsy and wanted to move on. SIL was not answering her cell. After waiting a bit more I eventually I told my wife, the kids are getting restless, I will take them back to the resort and you can give your sister the FP tickets and catch up with us. Just then her sister calls to say she is on the way. A few minutes later we finally hand off the tickets and start to make our way out of the park. On the way out my kids stopped at a DVC booth near ABC commissary to trade pins with the CM there. After we walked away we got near the Big Hat and my daughter realized she does not have her little stuffed Ewok. Apparently she put it down when trading pins at the DVC booth. So, we went back but it is not there and the CM has not seen it. Ugh, in a few minutes time it either rambled off on its own or someone took it. I know she still had it when she was there because I have a picture of her with it just before. I lose a little faith in humanity and I tell my wife to take the kids to the bus stop and I will catch up. I then proceeded back to the store to find another Ewok to buy. It was disappointing that someone actually seemed to take it in the matter of a couple of minutes that she put it down.

With another newly adopted family member in hand I got back to bus stop and somehow I still managed to beat the rest of the family there. There was a bus already sitting there but I could see the family heading out the gates. OK, I do not want to be one of those people that hold up a busload of people so I opted to wait outside on a bench. Fortunately the bus driver was still waiting for more people so we all ended up getting on.

Once we made it back to the room I crashed to get some much needed rest before dinner.

Oh no! I hope the sickness passes! How frustrating.

You know, there were some cool shots from the TSM queue-- I like the Tinkertoys shot and the outside Barrel of Monkeys best. Too funny about Mr. Potato Head's ear.

I also loved the Ariel pics and the Beauty and the Beast shots were really nice too, despite how you were feeling. I especially liked the Be Our Guest shot of Belle.

I didn't know there was a Monsters Inc. photo op! A must-do for next time.

I totally concur about both the Backlot Tour and Muppets 3D. :thumbsup2

Too bad about the Ewok going missing. Glad you realized it before you left the park though.

Looking forward to Wishes!

Great new photos! I saw the Mr. Potato Head at DL, but we went through the wheelchair line at DW so we did not even know he was back there! You also got some fantastic shots at the Little Mermaid show and the Beauty and the Beast show! Great work! :wizard:

You made out great getting to ride TSMM three times!!! Hope you're feeling better by dinner. Narcooses' is my fave!!!

Denise

All caught up and ready for more! I just love Statler and Waldorf! :love:

Just read the entire thread so far. You've taken incredible pictures. I might get a 5D MkII somewhere down the line (or whatever is out by then), but right now my XSi works well. What I really want is a longer lens; I have my eyes on one of the 70-200mm lenses, just not sure which one.

Looking forward to more!

Oh no! I hope the sickness passes! How frustrating.
Hi Missus Toad.
Thank you. Fortunately the onslaught of colds did not slow us down too much. If took about another day before it became less of a hindrance. We are fairly resilient.

You know, there were some cool shots from the TSM queue-- I like the Tinkertoys shot and the outside Barrel of Monkeys best. Too funny about Mr. Potato Head's ear.
Overall I was not as enthusiastic about my photos this day. I do agree with you on the barrel of monkeys shot from outside TSMM. I think that is my fav shot from the day.

I also loved the Ariel pics and the Beauty and the Beast shots were really nice too, despite how you were feeling. I especially liked the Be Our Guest shot of Belle.
That "Be Our Guest" shot is also my fav from the shows that day.

I didn't know there was a Monsters Inc. photo op! A must-do for next time.
The Monster's Inc photo op is somewhat out of the way now so it is easy to miss. It used to be somewhere else in the park. I think near the ABC commissary but they moved it at some point. Fortunately the line was not bad and they also have Photopass photographers there.

I totally concur about both the Backlot Tour and Muppets 3D. :thumbsup2

Too bad about the Ewok going missing. Glad you realized it before you left the park though.
Yes, she realized it right away and was so downtrodden so it was good I was near enough to the store. Funny thing is that after all that she has not even touched the poor furry guy since we have been back. This is not uncommon for her. We have out own land of misfit toys here.

Great new photos! I saw the Mr. Potato Head at DL, but we went through the wheelchair line at DW so we did not even know he was back there! You also got some fantastic shots at the Little Mermaid show and the Beauty and the Beast show! Great work! :wizard:
Thank you kdzbear. I have only been to DL once in 2006 and TSMM was obviously not there but I have to imagine the the spud there is the same as the one in DW so it you got a chance to see him in DL you probably saw the same technology at work. I just realized you have a Sept 2009 Trip report. I'll have to check it out this weekend when I have some more time.

You made out great getting to ride TSMM three times!!! Hope you're feeling better by dinner. Narcooses' is my fave!!!

Denise
Hi Denise, yes, I didn't expect to get through TSMM as much as we did. We actually could have gone around a 4th time as well if we wanted to stay until 6PM. I think it really helped that we went on a non-Fantasmic day. We headed over there on another day when there was Fant and the waits were noticeably longer.
Narcoossee's is coming up right after this..

All caught up and ready for more! I just love Statler and Waldorf! :love:
They are the best aren't they. I didn't realize they are named after hotels in NYC until I just looked them up on the Web.

Just read the entire thread so far. You've taken incredible pictures. I might get a 5D MkII somewhere down the line (or whatever is out by then), but right now my XSi works well. What I really want is a longer lens; I have my eyes on one of the 70-200mm lenses, just not sure which one.

Looking forward to more!
Hi Scott. Thank you for your comments. Funny, I was admiring some of the photos you have posted on the photography board recently. I just noticed you have a trip report as well and I am definitely going to check it out this weekend. I bet there are some great shots there.

I also have an XSi and it is a great camera as well. The high ISO with the 5DMkII is real nice though and I have come to appreciate full frame now. I have the f/4 version of the 70-200. It is a great lens. There are times I would love the f/2.8 but I carry enough around as it is and it is a big lens. You should check them out at a camera store if you want to get a feel for them.

It's time to get ready for Narcoossee's. The rest definitely did me some good. I wasn't feeling great but I was better than before. We cleaned ourselves up and put on a little nicer clothes than our usual park attire and headed out. We got to Narcoossee's a little early and checked in. Unlike 1900 PF there is no horde of people and the wait is not long. During our short wait, a CM took out a couple of lobsters from the tank to show the kids and she introduces them to Larry the Lobster and Shelley the Lobster. It was very nice of her and the kids were enjoying it but I couldn't help thinking that this had the potential to cause complications for some by giving the little critters cute names when one of them makes a return visit later in the nigh on a plate. My kids had no issues though so it was all good. I am not a huge lobster fan but my wife and kids are so I know we'll be seeing some of our new friends later.

We got seated a little early and were taken to a fabulous table right near the window. This restaurant gets high marks right the start with the ambience and view. We had a stellar view over the lagoon to the MK. It is pretty far away though so the castle is small. I also liked the fact that though it is a nice place it was not stuffy. My kids and formal places usually don't mix very well. At some point during the meal there is something bound to happen such as my son bringing one of Shelley's claws back to life to attack his sister. Anyway, after ordering our food I stepped out to the deck in the view. Here are a couple pictures.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Once the food came I make it back inside. I had ordered the filet, my Wife the Shelley, my Son the Surf and Turf and Daughter the kid's steak. I would say that the food was definitely very good. It was not knock your socks off good but it was one of the best meals we had on our trip. I finished the meal with enough time to get out on the deck to set up for wishes. The waiter was going to hold off on dessert until after the show. Out on the deck, I did make sure to try to position myself so that I did not block anyone's view from inside. Once Wishes started though a lot more people made their way out to the deck and it became a moot point about blocking anyone's view. So if you go there and get a seat by the window don't be surprised if a crowd of people congregate outside too and you may not still have that great view once wishes starts. My kids eventually made their way out to keep me company as well. Once the show started they piped the music in. All in all it was a very nice experience. I was a little surprised that the fireworks were so far off to the left of the castle from this vantage point though. Because of this I had to keep my field of view very wide on the photos. I was thinking I would be able to zoom more to get the castle bigger but once the show started I nixed that idea. It is amazing what a different perspective you get vs being on Main St. I can't say I am wild about the pics that I took but some came out ok.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

I think next trip I would like to see what wishes look like from the poly beach.

After the show, the kids and I stayed out on the deck and watched the Electric Water Pageant as well.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

My kids were starting to fade fast at this point so instead of staying for dessert my wife ordered it to go. They packaged it up very nicely. I took care of the waiter and we headed off back to Pop. When we got back to the resort my wife and kids went to share our desserts with her sister's family. The almond crusted cheesecake seemed to be the biggest hit. BTW I booked SIL's family at the Cape May buffet since they were not interested in Narcoossee's and they thought it was a great. We have never been there so I am definitely adding it as a place to try on our next excursion even though I was a little down on buffets this trip.

So ends day 6. Our next day is going to be an easy day for us so there was no need to get up early and we could use some rest.

I love the different perspective for the fireworks. I really like the red starburst ones! Great job! :woohoo:

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner! That really is a different perspective for Wishes. I couldn't believe how far to the left the fireworks were!!!

Denise

A great trip report and outstanding photos:thumbsup2. Its almost like being there! I was wondering if you shoot RAW or JPEG?

I love nighttime at the World. :goodvibes The Contemporary shot is awesome. Fave shot of the Wishes bunch is the 3rd. Very nice, but again, all of them are. I can just hear the music looking at the EWP pics!

Glad you were feeling better. Narcoosee's has always interested me, but we've never made it there. Maybe next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter