Who is designing the Disney Treasure?

Had a laugh at this post from a few months ago while I was searching to see if there has been any new information shared about the ship!! From last reports I read, it said it will set sail in 2024. Wonder if that is still on track?

I think the Treasure is set for 2024 and the Global thing is supposed to be ready in 2025.

Is the Treasure for sure taking over the 7 night Caribbean sailings from PC? Or is it kind of just a poorly kept secret?

Plus one more. There are to be 3 Triton class ships. DCL had signed on for 3 before the Global Bankruptcy. So, I’d imagine new ships in 2024, 2025, and 2026. The Magic will be 30 in 2028. That’s old for a cruise ship. Will have to see if they retire any.

While the structure of the Treasure won’t change, they could fix design issues I think. Like, close off Luna Lounge. Maybe push 1923 together and move the hallway to the outside. Some of that is fixable even in the same structure.

Plus one more. There are to be 3 Triton class ships. DCL had signed on for 3 before the Global Bankruptcy. So, I’d imagine new ships in 2024, 2025, and 2026. The Magic will be 30 in 2028. That’s old for a cruise ship. Will have to see if they retire any.

While the structure of the Treasure won’t change, they could fix design issues I think. Like, close off Luna Lounge. Maybe push 1923 together and move the hallway to the outside. Some of that is fixable even in the same structure.
I'd imagine it would have more to do with the state of the vessel than the age. My guess is that she can still go for a little bit longer.

I'd imagine it would have more to do with the state of the vessel than the age. My guess is that she can still go for a little bit longer.
I think the Magic and Wonder fill a portion of the market that Disney likes. Besides, they both are been paid for for decades.

Once all the new ships are done... even the S.S. Monstro (AKA Global Nightmare), I hope Disney keeps the Wonder and Magic and sends them in to a MAJOR overhaul/refurbishment. It would be nice to see them repanel all the golden oak finish with something a little more updated. If they keep the ships, it wouldn't surprise me if they do a cut and stretch as part of a major redesign.

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine Disney doing this. I really wish they would, since the Wonder and Magic are still my favorite of the fleet. The amount of money it would cost them to do that kind of major overhaul would be (in their eyes) better spent on a bigger ship with higher capacity. The slightly smaller ships running more unique itineraries seems like a smart move to me, but I don't run Disney.

If they end up moving the Fantasy and Dream out of FL, I am honestly not sure if I will keep cruising DCL. The Wish did not work for us. If she (or the Treasure) we sailing seven day trips it would be more tempting, but that's also where the lack of a real walking deck would be more evident.

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine Disney doing this. I really wish they would, since the Wonder and Magic are still my favorite of the fleet. The amount of money it would cost them to do that kind of major overhaul would be (in their eyes) better spent on a bigger ship with higher capacity. The slightly smaller ships running more unique itineraries seems like a smart move to me, but I don't run Disney.
Agree. It would likely make more financial sense to build new ships than to overhaul to Magic and Wonder. I think they both have some life left in them (although, I just saw that post about the blackout on the Wonder!) but I can’t see Disney gutting them and making their engines etc more modern (if that’s even possible.)

I can’t see Disney gutting them and making their engines etc more modern (if that’s even possible.)
That's exactly what I was wondering about. If there was a reasonable way to do that, I think they might do it and keep them. The ships are charming, a great size, and just feel right. But if it's a several hundred million dollar proposition, then I get why they'd put that down on another ship. I just wish they wouldn't because they sure messed it up with these new ships and then the purchase of that giant mess.

When they announced the new ships, they had a picture of the fleet with 6 ships (3rd ship was added on later to contract with Meyer Werft). I always took that to mean that they intended to run the fleet with all three classes.

Agree. It would likely make more financial sense to build new ships than to overhaul to Magic and Wonder. I think they both have some life left in them (although, I just saw that post about the blackout on the Wonder!) but I can’t see Disney gutting them and making their engines etc more modern (if that’s even possible.)

It is Possible, but not practical. Disney will continue to run those ships until they can't. All the major cruise lines dump their older ships to smaller companies and they sail them. The Pacific Princess (The Love Boat) was built in 1971 and operated under various lines until 2012. Disney cares about it's image and the ships have a very distinct look and you can tell it is a Disney ship from it's silhouette. So I can see them running the Magic and Wonder until it is time for the scrap yard.

Different hull designs are needed for certain areas. The Wonder and Magic apparently have reinforced hulls do they can do Alaska / North Sea routes, compared to the rest of the fleet. This makes them suited to go just about anywhere

The Global Dream's hull is designed to operate in the Asian market areas, which is why you won't see it in the Caribbean.

Now that the Wish is online, we are seeing the Fantasy and Dream get a little more adventurous with their itineraries.

The one thing I have seen with Disney is that they aren't afraid to do major overhauls on their fleet. Both the Wonder and Magic has very extensive makeovers about a decade ago (give or take a few years), which overhauled a lot of systems.

Disney is also one of the (few but growing) number of lines that are setup to accept power directly from port, which saves a LOT of fuel ($$$) and the environment.

Different hull designs are needed for certain areas. The Wonder and Magic apparently have reinforced hulls do they can do Alaska / North Sea routes, compared to the rest of the fleet. This makes them suited to go just about anywhere
The Dream is going to the North Sea this year so I would guess the Fantasy will eventually replace the Wonder in Alaska (unless they build a new ship for Alaska.)

I really will miss the classic ships when they retire - hopefully it will be a few more years!

Just had a thought on the Treasure...with how much of a premium the Wish commands on 3/4 night itineraries, the Treasure may be mind-boggling expensive.

Just had a thought on the Treasure...with how much of a premium the Wish commands on 3/4 night itineraries, the Treasure may be mind-boggling expensive.
The 3/4 night cruises are always more expensive per night than a 7-night. But yes, I expect the Treasure to be quite a step up from current Fantasy prices if she takes over the Fantasy cruises. I wonder what they will do with the Fantasy though? 7-night cruises from Fort Lauderdale and hope that it won't be too much of a competition with the Treasure out of PC?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter