Whipped Cream Shortage?

FigmentFinder

DIS Veteran
Both my daughter and I had birthdays this week. Desert was ordered at two different chain restaurants. Today I commented to my son that both of them had whipped topping, not whipped cream on the deserts. I was a little disappointed as these canned whipped topping are not very good tasting.

My 17 year old son told me he heard there was a whipped cream shortage. Is this true? :rolleyes:

Both my daughter and I had birthdays this week. Desert was ordered at two different chain restaurants. Today I commented to my son that both of them had whipped topping, not whipped cream on the deserts. I was a little disappointed as these canned whipped topping are not very good tasting.

My 17 year old son told me he heard there was a whipped cream shortage. Is this true? :rolleyes:

Haven't heard of it but I just google it. Yes there is a shortage

I heard that right before Christmas and it's due to a shortage of nitrous oxide used in the cans. I didn't have any problems finding it then but I haven't looked lately.

A sign above the dairy case at the supermarket the other night said there was a problem in one of the main nitrous oxide manufacturing plants, which may result in shortages of canned whipped cream. My market, however, still had a good supply.

Not sure what the restaurants' problems were; they COULD make their own.

There is no shortage of whipping cream. There is a shortage of the squirt out of the can stuff be it real whipped cream or fake.

I heard that right before Christmas and it's due to a shortage of nitrous oxide used in the cans. I didn't have any problems finding it then but I haven't looked lately.
This. There is no shortage of whipping cream. There IS a shortage of the nitrous oxide used as a propellant in canned whipped cream. The shelves were pretty bare on Christmas eve, but I can see where demand would be heavy then. Seemed back to normal Sunday when I was at the store..

So funny the timing of this thread, I just bought reddi whip about an hour ago and had no idea of a shortage. Usually I make my own but I'm cheating because it will be eaten over the next few seconds days.

Thank goodness there is no shortage of cool whip. I wouldn't buy that garbage from a can anyway :snooty:
;)

Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).

After reading what is in Cool Whip I am surprised that anyone would buy it. I just use heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract in my whipped cream.

Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).

After reading what is in Cool Whip I am surprised that anyone would buy it. I just use heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract in my whipped cream.

I was joking, note the winking emoji.
But I do like cool whip, and I've been eating it my whole life and I'm still ticking.

I heard there is a shortage, but haven't had a problem finding the canned version.

I was joking, note the winking emoji.
But I do like cool whip, and I've been eating it my whole life and I'm still ticking.
Pretty sure it comes in a squirt-can version too...I wonder if it also is part of the shortage?

And referring back to the OP, I'm still wondering why any restaurant that couldn't get nitrous oxide cartridges just didn't go ahead and whip up some cream instead of sending their desserts out incomplete? :confused:

Reactions: Kae
And referring back to the OP, I'm still wondering why any restaurant that couldn't get nitrous oxide cartridges just didn't go ahead and whip up some cream instead of sending their desserts out incomplete? :confused:
I did admit to eating in chain restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter