Which would you do?

princessfionasmom

DIS Veteran
We were not going to go this year but because of the Military ticket deal (DH is activated USCG Reservist) we are now going either Oct or Nov but now I have a delema, do I book a studio (hoping for OKW) for one full week or a 1bed for 5 nights (sun - fri)?

It's me, DH, DD6 and DS9. We've never stayed at OKW but we own 50pts there so I can bank this years pts (Oct use year) and we'd have 100pts to use next Oct or Nov. Am I right that I'd have to bank this years pts so I'd have them to use next Oct with next years pts?

Also, when would you go, Oct or Nov? DH would love to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party but that's only in Oct right? What week in Oct would you recommend or is Nov a better month to go?

By activated reservist, does that mean your DH is away alot?? If so, by all means get the 1br so you have privacy without kids sharing your bedroom! Otherwise, if you don't mind the kids in the bedroom with you, the studio would stretch your points. You don't have very many points, so stretching them is probably important. Another option would be to arrive to a studio Fri/Sat night and then move UP to a 1br for the next 5 if you can swing that & if you don't mind being "homeless" for a day.

Whatever you decide - have a great time! I'd pick late Oct - the later the better for nicer weather.

He is away a lot but not consecutive. He's away for 3 weeks now, 3 weeks in March, 3 months starting May 3rd and then I'm sure he'll have a couple of more weeks away before our vaca. I am definitely leaning toward the end of Oct but we are still up in the air about the accomodations. I think we'll probably end up in the Studio to get a longer vaca. I really wanted laundry in the room so we can bring fewer clothes but we will hopefully be spending time at the pool so I don't mind doing a quick load while we are at the pool. I was tossing the idea around of staying at a value fri and sat then moving to a one bed Sun thru fri but DH is not big on switching resorts. We did it last time and although it went smooth it was a little bit of a pain.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate all the advice I can get!

We were not going to go this year but because of the Military ticket deal (DH is activated USCG Reservist) we are now going either Oct or Nov but now I have a delema, do I book a studio (hoping for OKW) for one full week or a 1bed for 5 nights (sun - fri)?

It's me, DH, DD6 and DS9. We've never stayed at OKW but we own 50pts there so I can bank this years pts (Oct use year) and we'd have 100pts to use next Oct or Nov. Am I right that I'd have to bank this years pts so I'd have them to use next Oct with next years pts?

Also, when would you go, Oct or Nov? DH would love to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party but that's only in Oct right? What week in Oct would you recommend or is Nov a better month to go?

Hey another Ma. DISer here ;)
My vote is for late in Oct. and don't miss the Halloween Party it's really The Best...even the adults are dressed up... the kids will love it !!!!! and if you go during the week the crowds are light. Another tip... the ticket will say that the party starts at 7pm but you can enter the part as early as 4pm with that ticket.... a good deal
Have a Magical time and A Big Thank You to your DH for His Service for Us :thumbsup2

Do you like Christmas or Halloween more? If you go in November, you could do the MK Christmas party. October is the Halloween party and COULD be food and wine festival at Epcot if you time it right.

October until mid-month or so can still be WAY too hot and humid for me. I like the weather at the end of October and into November better.

Sorry to highjack your thread..
Can you please tell more about the military ticket deal?
We are scheduled to be at the VWL May 1-9. This was originally to be just my husband and myself. Within the past few days we have heard from our son currently deployed in Iraq. He'll be coming home for R&R April 16 - May 6th. And what better way to celebrate being on US soil than to be at the happiest place on earth? While we have annual passes, he is going to need a ticket.

We were at the World Oct 18 - 28 this past year and it was fabulous! The weather was perfect, no rain, and only moderate crowds. Plus the Food and Wine festival was in progress. Fall/Halloween decorations were up. It was a lovely time to travel.

Sorry to highjack your thread..
Can you please tell more about the military ticket deal?
We are scheduled to be at the VWL May 1-9. This was originally to be just my husband and myself. Within the past few days we have heard from our son currently deployed in Iraq. He'll be coming home for R&R April 16 - May 6th. And what better way to celebrate being on US soil than to be at the happiest place on earth? While we have annual passes, he is going to need a ticket.

We were at the World Oct 18 - 28 this past year and it was fabulous! The weather was perfect, no rain, and only moderate crowds. Plus the Food and Wine festival was in progress. Fall/Halloween decorations were up. It was a lovely time to travel.

Disney is running a Mititary Special from Jan 4- Dec 23rd. The active duty or retiree gets a Free 5 day ticket, he can buy 5 additional tickets for Family and Friends for $99.00 for the 5 days. If you want Park Hopping or water parks it is an additional $25.00 each. Your son can buy the vouchers at the base or Shades of Green, then turn them into the ticket office at Disney. All members that he is buying for have to be present at the time of issue. There is also a 40% off room rate with this special. He has to show a ID card to receive his ticket and buy additional tickets.

My vote is for October. We were there in both months this year and really hated waiting in line for anything in November. (I know, poor us! :laughing: ) But I really don't think we'll go in November again. The first part of October was literally walk on the ride time! Have fun! The military discount is great. We used it the last time they had it. It's been a few years since they've done it. Yay! for Disney!

Disney is running a Mititary Special from Jan 4- Dec 23rd. The active duty or retiree gets a Free 5 day ticket, he can buy 5 additional tickets for Family and Friends for $99.00 for the 5 days. If you want Park Hopping or water parks it is an additional $25.00 each. Your son can buy the vouchers at the base or Shades of Green, then turn them into the ticket office at Disney. All members that he is buying for have to be present at the time of issue. There is also a 40% off room rate with this special. He has to show a ID card to receive his ticket and buy additional tickets.

Thanks kimberh! :thumbsup2
We speak with our son on a very limited basis. He is the only one that will need a ticket. I'm not expecting these will be available on his base in Iraq, so I guess we'll just need to go to Shades of Green.

Does anyone know, is Disney transportation available for SOG?
Di

DiznyDi - unfortunately Disney transportation is not available for SOG, no Magical Express. But SOG has their own transportation which we have never had a problem with. And if you don't mind a short walk you can just walk over to Poly and use the monorail which is what we did when we went to MK and EPCOT. Your son can get his ticket at SOG. You might want to just check out the prices for staying at a WDW resort with the 40% of deal, the only problem being is that I believe your son can only get 1 room with the discount. Then you'll get to use the magical express which we just absolutely love, so convenient.

Please tell your son how much we all appreciate his service, it's not easy being over there away from family or for you on the flip side :hug: . My brother was there for 2 years when it all began and it really took a toll on him. He is married with 2 kids and didn't get to meet his soon until he was almost a year old. Luckily he will not have to go back due to some major injuries he got when his heli crashed but he is alive and recovering quickly! I am hoping he is recovered enough to be able to join us when we go to WDW in Oct (and he can get a cheap enough fare home from Germany) there is no better place to to celebrate IMHO!!!!

DiznyDi - unfortunately Disney transportation is not available for SOG, no Magical Express. But SOG has their own transportation which we have never had a problem with. And if you don't mind a short walk you can just walk over to Poly and use the monorail which is what we did when we went to MK and EPCOT. Your son can get his ticket at SOG. You might want to just check out the prices for staying at a WDW resort with the 40% of deal, the only problem being is that I believe your son can only get 1 room with the discount. Then you'll get to use the magical express which we just absolutely love, so convenient.

Please tell your son how much we all appreciate his service, it's not easy being over there away from family or for you on the flip side :hug: . My brother was there for 2 years when it all began and it really took a toll on him. He is married with 2 kids and didn't get to meet his soon until he was almost a year old. Luckily he will not have to go back due to some major injuries he got when his heli crashed but he is alive and recovering quickly! I am hoping he is recovered enough to be able to join us when we go to WDW in Oct (and he can get a cheap enough fare home from Germany) there is no better place to to celebrate IMHO!!!!

Thanks! I didn't realize SOG was that close to Poly. We'll probably do as you suggested and just walk over.

I wasn't aware of this program until I read your post... so thank you. I have a nephew, also currently in Iraq, that is getting married on the 19th of Dec. I don't believe they've made their honeymoon plans yet and this might just work for them, too.

:hug: to you brother! I don't believe it is as bad now as when we first went in. Your brother helped to pave the way for the many current personnel deployed.
Here's some pixiedust: that you'll all be together in October!
Di

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter