Which Table Service meal should we do on Animal Kingdom Day???

bbump

Always trying to book a new trip.....
This is going to be our 1st trip onsite and on the free dining plan.
Since there are no table service places in AK, can anyone recommend a good sit-down meal (dinner) that would be easy to get to from AK??

Note: We will be using the Disney Buses and will have a total of 4 children ages 8 mos - 10 years in our group.

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!

Well-there is the Rainforest at the AK--but I wouldn't recommend it.
Jiko at the AK Lodge would be my choice. Kid friendly and a great TS spot.

just be "warned" Jiko is a 2TS restaurant... boma is another good choice, but getting back from AKL to your resort after dinner could be tricky...

we're doing Hoop Dee Doo Revue on our AK night... but that's also 2 TS... we'll just take the bus from AK to the campground and then we'll grab the bus back to our resort afterwards...

another thought would be to have breakfast at donald's that day (we tend to go for the last seating and call it brunch) and then have counter service (preferably at the pool) that evening...

DTD restaurants are another option 'cause transport is easy...

I would suggest keeping the AK theme and dining at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Per the official Disney Dining brochure, Rainforest Cafe is not covered by the Dining Plan. We are going in September with Free Dining and will be dining at Jiko on our Animal Kingdom day.

You can take the bus from AK to AKL. It takes 15 minutes. Transportation after dinner gets harder….its not so easy to get from resort to resort. Usually the best way would be to return to AK and take the bus back to your resort. The AK busses stop running an hour (or 90 min???) after the park closes (which currently is 6 PM on 8/11-19 and 5 PM on 8/20-31 with PM EMH on Wednesdays extending closing to 9 or 8 PM, respectively). You can take a bus to another theme park (that’s open) and close to your hotel then take the bus from there to your hotel. As always, if your tired and don’t want to drag the family on an hour bus ride, you can have the hotel bell service call you a taxi (Maybe a taxi-van with so many people).

At AKL, there's Boma, which is a buffet and one table service credit. Only open for breakfast and dinner (5-10 PM). Kids under 3 eat free. While there are some exotic and interesting items at Boma there are lots of other 'normal' food. I really enjoyed Boma last September. I always see great reviews for it.

And there's Jiko which is a signature restaurant so it requires 2 dining credits per person. (Without incurring tooo much wrath...some people suggest paying for the kids meals and using their dining credits to supplement your own at signature restaurants. Its your decision to make....). Also has great reviews. Its upscale, so I don't know about coming straight from the parks.... We will be returning to our rooms for a rest, shower, and change before going to dinner.

you can check out the menus and reviews at "allearsnet"

and check out transportation options at "ourlaughingplace"

Have fun!
Rebecca

We are going to Ohana' at the Poly on "AK day". I hope to catch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the Poly Beach while having a good cup of coffee :love:

We are heading over to the Boardwalk after our day at the Animal Kingdom or Down Town Disney. Not sure yet which one. I have until May 22 to make my ADR. Decisions, decisions. :sad2:

We are doing Downtown Disney after our Animal Kingdom day. I made ADR's this morning at Planet Hollywood. We might hit Disney Quest after dinner if everyone is up to it.

We're going to Boma on our AK day. I'm not sure how we'll get back to Poly after dinner, but I'm thinking we'll just jump on the next bus to a park and then transfer at that park.

We're going to Chef Mickey's on our AK Day because I'm not sure if picky-eater DD will whine all through Boma or Jiko. You can take the bus from the park to the Contemporary. When you're done, you can walk or take the monorail over to TTC, which can get you back to your resort. Plus, I'm sure the kids will enjoy CM!

We plan to do Boma, then take the bus back to MK and walk to CR. It should be pretty painless. Now to see what time... I am thinking 6:00 ADR if the park closes at 5 so we have time to walk around a bit.

should i make reservations you think at Boma??? planning to leave AK after Parade at 4pm -- i now have a 5:45p adr is that too late?? those whom are going what time is your ressie?

lisa

So, if a family has a car at WDW would it just be better to drive on the AK day? With adr's at Boma at 6pm.

The only table service eatery at the Animal Kingdom is the Rainforest Cafe. I didn't care for it personally, and would just as soon eat at the Flame Tree (if it's nice weather and not too hot), or at Pizzafari (when I'd rather sit in air conditioning.)

But that's just me. You might well enjoy the Rainforest.

Enjoy.

We were faced with a similar dilemma last year. We did AK on an evening EMH night...

What we decided to do was eat a substantial breakfast OOP at our resort, counter service at AK around 1:30 or so, our snack (supplemented with granola bars/chips I brought in) around 5pm, and just did table service at our resort when we got back. We had 8:05pm ADR's for Whispering Canyon.

We ate, went upstairs, and fell asleep.

Another vote for Boma!

I ate their (dinner) last October. The food is great, atmosphere is very nice - the prime rib was the best!!! We had a nice server and the coffee was excellent too. It also seemed more "orderly," and not as hectic as the other places we ate.

Use your TS credits another day.
Animal Kingdom has two of the best CS restaurants in all the World: Flame Tree BBQ and Tusker House. Both are excellent.

But if you really want to use the TS credit: I would agree with the other posters who indicated that Donald's Breakfastasaurus is a good choice.

You could always go for a late breakfast at Donald's: the night after I go to MNSSHP, I have breakfast at Donald's at 10:30am

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Don't miss the Rainforest Cafe. The wait may be a little while but if you eat early or later in the afternoon the wait isn't bad. We always eat here or at the one at Downtown Disney. It is a one of a kind experience and the kids will love it. They also have a great gift store and there is always something on clearance all over the store. You can shop around while you wait. The kids meals are great and very plentiful and the adult meals are huge so you could share. This is our favorite at AK.
adhelove

I know, its a little backwards, but... we already had all our ADRs planned, when they decided to throw a MNSSHP during our trip, on our AK late night day. I already have CP and CM dinners on other nights of our trip, and I've been wanting to try Boma. I have no desire to switch to LTT or Tony's in MK, so I called and changed our ADR to 5. We will probably take the car (even though could have taken the bus from AK to Boma and back), and pop back to AS Movies after dinner to change. I know we won't get to the party at opening, but we've been to it a few times before, and are ok with getting there a bit later. I would make an ADR for Boma, or eat your TS at Donald's (or at your resort). The CS at AK are too good to miss!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter