Which Resort is OVER RATED/UNDER RATED on the DIS!

abaldacci

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>
Following the thread on the over rated eateries on the Dining Forum.
Plus it's time for me to start picking a new resort to stay at next trip. :)

Underrated definitely goes to WL/AKL for me.
Overrated ... can any Disney resort be overrated? I suppose I'd say CSR if I had to choose one.

Under rated: Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club

Over rated: Caribbean Beach & Pop Century

No offense intended but as to which resort is over rated or under rated is strickly opinion, based on others' opinions. :confused3

Yeah, I tend to agree, you are going to get people who love/hate every resort. :)

But, IMHO underrated: WL (I LOVE that place, it is like a second home to our family)

Overrated: Pop (not sure why it so loved over the other value resorts)

Beach and BW: Right on target...can't beat the convenience of either

Over-Rated
Easy, the Grand Floridian. Rating guides, such as Mobil, rate the GF as 3*, the same as the other deluxe hotels. Disney implies the hotel is rated higher than it is. Many guests think it's a 4*, even a borderline 5*, hotel but it's not.

The hotel is themed like a 5 star hotel but it isn't one.

Sammie your post makes some sense but the GF is rated as a 3* hotel and many DIS think it's rated higher.

Under-Rated by DIS--I'd say Swan Dolphin. Many DIS don't like the hotel because it isn't run by Disney and doesn't have some of the Disney theming such as Mickey wake up calls.

The variety of restaurants is better than any Disney hotel. Fresh is regarded as the best buffet on property. blueZoo is rated as one of the best retaurants. Shula's is probably the best steakhouse on property. Fountain is great, less crowded, alternative to B&C. The Grotto pool is the second best pool on property. It's a great location. Guests can sometimes get a discounted room for about the same price as a moderate.

The rest of the Disney hotels pretty much match the ratings most of the DIS posters give the properties.

Overrated: GF, Disney wants that price for THAT service? Are they kidding?

Underrated: All Stars.... Good value and better service then the GF.....

To the OP, you are not going to accomplish much with a thread like this. It is so subjective and so many changing variables can influence the perception of value such as time of year with crowds, changing rack rates, AP & FL discounts, construction/upgrades at the resorts, type of room, weather, personal moods, individuals' disposable income, experience with other resorts both Disney and non Disney, etc.

That said, to me GF, CBR, and WL are over rated and SSR and AKL are under rated. :crazy:

TO all of you off topic people! I want everyone's thoughts on different resort jaded or not or I would not have posted this thread. I base alot of what I do (( buzz ) I stayed at the csr) on what people say on these boards. :thumbsup2
Thank you all.

Lewisc said:
Over-Rated
Easy, the Grand Floridian. Rating guides, such as Mobil, rate the GF as 3*, the same as the other deluxe hotels. Disney implies the hotel is rated higher than it is. Many guests think it's a 4*, even a borderline 5*, hotel but it's not.

The hotel is themed like a 5 star hotel but it isn't one.

Sammie your post makes some sense but the GF is rated as a 3* hotel and many DIS think it's rated higher.

Under-Rated by DIS--I'd say Swan Dolphin. Many DIS don't like the hotel because it isn't run by Disney and doesn't have some of the Disney theming such as Mickey wake up calls.

The variety of restaurants is better than any Disney hotel. Fresh is regarded as the best buffet on property. blueZoo is rated as one of the best retaurants. Shula's is probably the best steakhouse on property. Fountain is great, less crowded, alternative to B&C. The Grotto pool is the second best pool on property. It's a great location. Guests can sometimes get a discounted room for about the same price as a moderate.

The rest of the Disney hotels pretty much match the ratings most of the DIS posters give the properties.

But my point is, it is still people's opinons. None are over rated or under rated by everyone. I could care less about the Swan and Dolphin. In fact I am so not interested I have never been in a single restuarant there. Does that make your opinion over rated. No it simply means we don't agree.

As to the Grand Floridian if there was a 6 star rating I would give it. :thumbsup2

So while I can agree that asking for other's opinions about what hotel they like and why is useful. As you might like or dislike some of the same things. But to simply list a hotel as over rated or under rated based on opinions does not serve any purpose to me.

Oh well have fun, just don't see the point.

I agree with your last statement, I don't see how this thread is much different than other threads where people talk about their favorite resorts. The reason why a guest prefers a resort counts more than just saying a resort is over or under rated. The fact that a resort is properly rated doesn't mean a guest will like it.

You kind of prove my point about the GF. Objective rating services rate it as a 3* hotel but some members of DIS "over-rate" the hotel. DIS members, such as yourself, might like the GF hotel but you are over rating the hotel if you give it 6*. I'd say this is probably the only hotel in which DIS members rate a hotel significantly higher than objective ratings. The fact that GF is "over rated" doesn't mean people don't love the hotel.

S/D objectively meets the critera of a deluxe hotel but in general DIS rate it lower because it's not Disney. Many guests seem to prefer a "Disney" hotel with Disney theming but I'd say the hotels are under-rated by some DIS. Again just because I think it's under rated doesn't mean guests will like the hotel.

Sammie said:
But my point is, it is still people's opinons. None are over rated or under rated by everyone. I could care less about the Swan and Dolphin. In fact I am so not interested I have never been in a single restuarant there. Does that make your opinion over rated. No it simply means we don't agree.

As to the Grand Floridian if there was a 6 star rating I would give it. :thumbsup2

So while I can agree that asking for other's opinions about what hotel they like and why is useful. As you might like or dislike some of the same things. But to simply list a hotel as over rated or under rated based on opinions does not serve any purpose to me.

Oh well have fun, just don't see the point.

Underrated: POR Love this resort and think it's deluxe bang for the buck

Overrated: POP Couldn't wait to stay at this resort last Oct after all the positive posts. Was not to my liking and definitely preferred ASMo to POP.

Overrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you least like)
Underrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you like the best)

The answers will vary widely depending on it's individual taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter