Which Resort is OVER RATED/UNDER RATED on the DIS!

Gee wiz, why are so many people giving the OP such a hard time? If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it. Why so many snarky comments? :confused3

over-rated-haven't found one yet :thumbsup2
under-rated-- the Contemporary. Love this resort. :love: I think the themeing is great and it feels very Disney to me, 2 complaints I have read. And you simply cannot beat walking to the Magic Kingdom!

*Fantasia* said:
Overrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you least like)
Underrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you like the best)

The answers will vary widely depending on it's individual taste.
Great answer!!

underrated - CSR
overrated - POFQ

Overrated: by far.....Grand Floridian

Underrated: Boardwalk, to me it is the best resort in the Epcot area!

I think this is very subjective. You are going to find people who love/hate different resorts.

I think the most overrated resort for me (from the hype on the boards) was Port Orleans. Sure it was ok, and we only stayed a weekend there and yes I would stay there again with an AP or FL resident rate if it was a last resort. But I don't think it was a fantastic as the many on the boards proclaim.

But different strokes for different folks right?

ETA: I think the most underrated is the Boardwalk. I already had the idea that I wouldn't like it before going but got a great deal over the 4th of July and decided why not. WE LOVED IT ~ scary clown and all!!

Overated IMHO is the Grand Floridian. My new hubby & I stayed in the honeymoon suite (suite? one room? Ok...) for our Disney intimate wedding. You couldn't beat the convience - carriage for the ceremony, reception in same hotel, one word - monorail and it is absolutely beautiful with the fresh flowers everywhere and we had many a drink listening to the music. But we paid $600 a night for that room. We travel to Las Vegas often and I get a Bellagio Lake View room comped when we go, but that room goes for only ~ $300-350 and blows away the Grand Floridian in terms of amenities, service and space. We are glad we stayed there the then 4 mandatory Deluxe days for the Initmate package, but we actually much happier in the POR for the next 6 nights. If money were no object - sure, we'll stay there again. But if I am spending more than 1 days salary on a room - I think we'll pass.

Underrated: The Ft. Wilderness cabins. I was nervous about staying there since I hadn't heard too much about them, and the whole family LOVED it there. In fact, we now try to add a couple of days there to our DVC trips because we enjoy it so much.

Overrated: The Contemporary. HATED it. We got a great deal through Shades of Green for only $78 per night in the North Garden Wing and were really shocked by the condition it was in. Dirty carpets, peeling wallpaper, broken fixtures and just a general run-down feeling. I'm glad to hear it's getting a much-needed upgrade, but Disney should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get to that point to begin with. If I was disappointed for $78 a night, I can't imagine how people felt who were paying rack rate :(

We have only stayed at 3 resorts and I would say that BC is highly overrated. I would stay at POR over BC for the same price anyday.

Under-rated: CR - The convenience to the MK cannot be beat! And both views are great.

But it is a shame - with the general lay-out and new decor, the CR is probably the most "adult" feeling of the resorts, but it's the most convenient to the MK. It should have the ULTIMATE kid-friendly themed decor!

safetymom said:
Most overrated- CSR
Most underrated- CBR

Actually almost any value and moderate resort is both over rated and under rated. The difference between the resorts in those categories is far less than many people on DIS would have us believe. The main difference is theming which is nothing more than personal taste. Movies is far more popular than Music. AFAIK the only difference is the theming. It's not really fair to rate a resort based on the icons.

CSR has more amenities than other moderate resorts but I'm not sure how many guests use the health club. Buzz has some nice pictures of CSR but other people have posted nice pictures of other moderate resorts.

You know... a better question would be to ask people to list the resorts at which they have stayed, in the order the felt was the "best value".

But even then, as everyone else said... its still just eveyone's opinions.

Some people love theming... so they're going to value that highly. Some spend lots of time in the hotel pool, so that will be it...etc.

I think the one consistent thing you read here is that you can have a fantastic time at any resort you pick. It's what you make of it that counts.

IMHO, we thought Boardwalk Villas was very overrated. We just were not impressed. :confused3

Sorry, but I'm cracking up at all the people blasting away at the OP for setting up this thread. Yes, it's subjective, yes, all he/she's going to get are personal opinions. Well, that's no different than all the "convince me to stay at...." threads. Really, this thread is just asking the same question from a slightly different angle. The angle may make some people think about the question in a different way and end up giving us new information. So, I don't see the problem. BUT, what I like best is that most of the people who have complained about the thread have gone ahead and answered the question! :rotfl:

Personally, I've only stayed at 3 of the resorts and liked both deluxes and didn't like the value. My wife has stayed at the same mod twice and says it was "just okay." Probably just what should be expected from the 3 different tiers. We're planning a split at WL/AKL next June and I've been reading tons of glowing (subjective/full of opinion) reports about the WL. I sure HOPE it isn't overrated!

One resort that you don't hear much about and I think underated, would be OKW. :thumbsup2

Isn't most of the post on these boards...someones opinion! Jeez, I read this thread with interest of peoples opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter