Which resort is a never or never again for you?

I wouldn't let this thread discourage you from staying on-property. That the people commenting here have stayed many, many times on property and keep returning is more telling than their gripes with a couple specific resorts. I think you can usually tell beforehand if a resort is going to be for you or not, but some people (like me!) want to try them all anyway! FWIW - I would never stay off property - I need to be totally in the bubble or it's not really a Disney trip , in which case I'd prefer a different type of vacation entirely.

To some extent, that most here indicate they've stayed in several resorts over years of returns means they've fine tuned their preferences and know pretty well what they like/dislike. That they have can be a fruitful source if you use it.

Some simply don't care for the theming, door-to-outside, other features of certain levels of stay, etc. So, the details given reflect their particular preferences, not necessarily anything inherently wrong with a given resort. In that sense, making a few notes of details people give about a resort you're considering for the first time can be very helpful. When you see things mentioned by more than one person, things that would bother you, that's something to consider.

Then, watch video tours of the resort itself and of the specific room type you're considering. Check to see if you can find room tours made by guests (more than one if possible) as well as those filmed by professional vloggers. Guest videos often have a much different, more down to earth approach to what works/doesn't work for ordinary people.

All of these will give you a pretty good basis for deciding if the resort will suit you/your family.

And what I've said above is the "homework" that will make it far more likely you can determine a resort is likely to please you/your family. Because I don't think you can tell much by the theming, the photos of a resort, the price--none of those will tell you that parking is a hassle; the buses are mobbed trying to get to rope drop; the resort is looking shabby and needs a refurb/reno.
The above is the best advice on this thread. An additional piece of advice, when watching videos of the resorts, be sure you check the date on it. A few of the resorts underwent renovations in the past couple years. You would want to see the most recent video tours.

I’ve never stayed at these and don’t think I’d want to:

Riviera - rooms just look too white and sterile to me lol
Saratoga Springs - I’m local to Saratoga and I think things would just annoy me lol
Boardwalk - doesn’t appeal to me and the clown thing creeps me out (and I’m not someone normally bothered by clowns)

Same here for Saratoga!

OKW, meh. For the same points we prefer AKV. AOA LM rooms way too dark and the plastic chairs make me feel like I'm in a preschool classroom- same price, Pop every time. ASMusic post renovation is probably better but 3 years ago, the room smelled musty, was damp, a million miles away from the main building and the smoking section was literally right outside my door so every time I went in and out all I got was a wave of smoke.

An additional piece of advice, when watching videos of the resorts, be sure you check the date on it. A few of the resorts underwent renovations in the past couple years. You would want to see the most recent video tours.
An excellent point. It is indeed crucial to be sure you're looking at a video that shows the resort's current condition.

Definitely wise to check the DVC refurb schedule to see which have been done recently or, more importantly, are to be done right before/during your planned trip dates.

Staying in a resort undergoing construction even though not in the area where you'd be is not necessarily something you want even though Disney does a nice job barricading work areas. There's still an atmosphere of things not being customary that can affect your enjoyment.

Saratoga Springs - I’m local to Saratoga and I think things would just annoy me lol
Boardwalk - doesn’t appeal to me and the clown thing creeps me out (and I’m not someone normally bothered by clowns)
I believe the clown has been removed from the pool, thankfully!

Polynesian. Our room smelled so we were moved to another room. The same garbage was lying in the hallway for our whole 5 day stay. Some rooms are so far from the main lodge it is easier to get the monorail from the TTC. Getting morning coffee from Capt Cooks could be a long walk. Pool was nice but will never go back except to visit Capt Cooks for a dole whip. LOVE the Contemporary!

I have said it was Pop Century because it was crowded, beds were uncomfortable and buses were standing room only. That was a long time ago. We are now booked again at Pop 😬. Reason being we want the skyliner and all the other resorts I like are priced so high! We were going to stay at CBR, but the only rooms left were pirate rooms for 300 something a night.
Oh no we love Pop:sad1:, it was the very first resort we stayed in many years ago. I stayed there twice in the past year and really enjoyed it for being a value resort. Cast members at front desk were nice and helpful. We usually have 2 preferred conecting rooms for 8 people (6 adults and 2 under 18). There is room enough for us since the pull-down bed turns into a small table we used during the day. Last christmas and new years eve we were there and didn't have trouble with busses, just a little extra wait. Skyliner helps a lot. Many people complain about it not working all the time but that just happened to us once while at epcot but they offered bus service from Beach Club. Hope you enjoy this trip!

I have a rule for POP…only if it is Preferred Pool .
I love the convenience of the SkyLiner but worry constantly about the Florida weather and SkyLiner not operating and then walking to figure out where a bus is supposed to be to return for the evening!

I have never liked BRV/ VWL and the addition of Copper Creek construction and then deciding to add Geyser Grill made for a very long construction mess .
These resorts sell out because of the holiday theme between Thanksgiving & NYE …making that lobby very crowded and not enjoyable as a guest.
Currentlyirritated w/ DVC over the refurbishment delays…

I stayed once castmember free night for the Animation Cars themed family design room. I was surprised that I liked it so much but really would not want to stay at Art of Animation ever again.
I stayed at Boardwalk a few times and hate the long hallways so never again .

Love the Riviera and getting upgrade from a studio reservation to 2 bedroom suite made me fall in love with Riviera. Do they always take care of castmembers for upgrades or was it because it was the beginning of the Great Covid Re-open and the resort was empty?

I love the Grand Destino and the 3 Bridges walk at night .So pretty and rooftop views … but probably won’t stay there ever again.

The GFV does not appeal to me because I hate the small lobby with the penguins . Might try for one night Resort room if available cause it is new and part of the Resort location… love the water taxi!

Grand Floridian. I've always wanted to stay there so we booked a 1 bedroom there before the pandemic. It was a transportation nightmare.

The buses at the parks and DS were sporadic. We watched other resorts have multiple buses before the GF bus came. Didn't expect that for WDW's flagship resort. One night we took a bus to Contemporary just to get closer with the plan to take the monorail only to find out that they'd closed it early. We weren't able to walk because they were doing some sidewalk repair so that was closed. Ended up having to call a taxi.

Another night we had dinner reservations at DS but a bad storm rolled through and streets flooded between GF and DS. We couldn't get there but were still charged a no show fee. That was just bad luck but still, with all the other transportation issues we had staying there, it was enough for us to say never again if doing any other park the MK.

I'd never say never to any resort since they could change theme, etc.

But I would say
Never again - Rivera
Most Likely Never on My Own - Coronado Springs (though I'm staying there for Dis Family Reunion)
Last Resort - Any All Star

Oh no we love Pop:sad1:, it was the very first resort we stayed in many years ago. I stayed there twice in the past year and really enjoyed it for being a value resort. Cast members at front desk were nice and helpful. We usually have 2 preferred conecting rooms for 8 people (6 adults and 2 under 18). There is room enough for us since the pull-down bed turns into a small table we used during the day. Last christmas and new years eve we were there and didn't have trouble with busses, just a little extra wait. Skyliner helps a lot. Many people complain about it not working all the time but that just happened to us once while at epcot but they offered bus service from Beach Club. Hope you enjoy this trip!
We are staying there again hopefully it will be better for us. When we stayed there it was close to Christmas, very cold out and crowded. So I’m willing to give it another try especially since it’s on the skyliner now.

When I was looking into DVC, I rented points and stayed at WL CCV. I'm glad I did it, because I was immediately able to rule it out for me. I kind of live in this theming already, so the WL theming is definitely not for me.

Surprised to see the hate for the values. I thought they were fine. I would stay at Pop or AoA again. I'd pick Swolphin over them, but I don't think there's anything wrong with them. The Little Mermaid room is really a special hotel room, probably my favorite on property.

There are a lot of venues we haven't stayed and probably will not just because we like to stay at a resort that is walkable to a park or the Springs, the park usually being EPCOT - LOL. I would like to try the Coronado Tower but DH doesn't like that it's a bus everywhere. While we have preferences not to stay at some resorts, if the resort is walkable I wouldn't not stay there. The Wilderness Lodge is nice but we've never had good luck with their bus system and Grand Floridian isn't our vibe but I wouldn't not stay their if nothing else was available - the same with CBR and Port Orleans.

I guess the answer to this thread is the Values are too far away for us, as is Old Key West and Animal Kingdom.

I miss the giant clown. It's only the smaller ones in the lobby now.

Never is such a strong word choice. There are resorts that I didn't care for and if given the option, would choose something other than:
Caribbean Beach (too spread out)
Yacht Club (too stuffy)
Beach Club (wanted to like but it just didn't 'wow' me)
Boardwalk (didn't like the resort layout and limited food options)

I answered the Poly a few months ago, but after getting back last week I am adding the Beach Club. Right now it will only be the Yacht Club going forward.

I won’t stay in a value or moderate again. I don’t find the on site perks works staying at that level for the cost. I can get a much nicer hotel room off property for cheaper than them.

For deluxe I’m crossing Contemporary off my list. It used to be my favorite but after my trip I won’t be going back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!