Which fireworks shows to skip?

Wishes and illuminations are the two real firework shows,Fantasmic is more like a show and at least for me gets pretty boring.Fantasmic is like 30 minutes long of which about 20 minutes of it are boring water screens showing old Disney movies,it does have some nice parts and is worth seeing if you've never seen it before but it's not something I can see countless times without getting bored of like I have with Wishes and especially Illuminations which I have probably seen 300 times.Another negative for Fantasmic is that you have to get in line for like 30-45 minutes before to wait to get seated,unlike the other two which you can find a spot 5-10 minutes before and still get a great view.

I would pick Fantasmic! over Illuminations (and catch Wishes of course). If your child is afraid of loud noises and villains, skip it (my youngest was completely freaked out at the Fantasmic! show this past December).

I would definitely choose Fantasmic, the show combines so many different aspects, characters, fireworks, water, projections, etc. I really enjoy it, and think that kids would prefer it over Illuminations

I usually skip Illuminations, its kind of a once watch show for me.

All I can tell is is our experiences when DD (now 6) was around those ages. DD wasn't scared of much at those ages, although she still goes back and forth on thrill rides (i.e. hates Big Thunder, but has always loved Soarin and Star Tours)

Wishes- I think Wishes is your must do. There is something special about watching the fireworks over the castle. One thing you might think about is whether your kids have ever been that close to fireworks. DD loves Wishes now, but when she was 2 and 3, although she loved 4th of July fireworks, we found that the noise of Wishes really scared her to the point we had to take her into a store and miss most of the show. Being inside the park, the fireworks can be a whole lot louder than what you are used to at home. Just be aware that could be an issue.

Fantasmic-- Might be a bit scary or intense for the 3 year old. DD was 2 years 10 months old when she first saw it. It is the first time I have ever seen her scared of any show etc. The villian part went on too long for her at that age (this is the kid who from age 2 would ride the Snow White ride over and over and cried when they closed it last year). We actually felt kind of bad for taking her as she was burying her head in our shoulders and was really scared. I had seen it before, and I had rewatched it on you tube and felt she would be fine with it, but I didn't take into account how loud and intense it can be live, especially if you are closer up. The shooting in the Pochahontas section is particularly loud, as are some of the fireworks. I think it was the loud noise that bothered her when coupled with the villians. It is a great show, but I would recommend sitting closer to the back with littles to make a hasty exit if they get scared and to keep it not quite as intense. We haven't been to the WDW show since then, but we have seen the DL version (which is better), three times and she loves it (it has a Peter Pan section instead of the loud gunshot Pochahontas section though, so that may be a big reason). Fantasmic can involve a lot of standing in crowds waiting too, so that may be something you want to consider.

Illuminations--- this would be our skip it. The problem with Illuminations for the little kids, is that you have to be really close up for them to be able to see as most of it is lower on the water instead of high up in the air. If you are not right on the rail close to the water, someone will stand in front of you and then all the kids can see is the back of the person in front of them and a few sparks here and there. If you are right up at the rail, it can be too intense for the little kids. DD hated, and still hates, watching illuminations from the point where she can actually see it because it is just too close and loud for her. We've tried it a couple of times and she has never lasted the whole show. Epcot has also seemed the hardest to get out of after the show to us, in terms of catching Disney transporation. Illuminations is exactly at closing time so everyone immediately heads out of the park, where Wishes often is at least an hour before closing time and Fantasmic often has at least a first showing a while before closing, so it doesn't seem like the whole park is headed the same way at the exact same time. Sure, there are a ton of people that head out right after Wishes or Fantasmic, but we usually let that crowd thin out a bit and still get out of the park right before the closing crowd. Epcot you can't do that. Every time we have watched Illuminations until the end it has been a madhouse. We usually find ourselves skipping Illuminations and catching the monorail either right as Illuminations starts or we are definitely already heading that way before the show ends to beat the crowd.

I wish people would just speak up and state their opinions on this! :upsidedow

So I will add mine:

I would skip IllumiNations as least interesting to kids that young.

I would not miss Wishes as it is magical.

I would choose Fantasmic! if a little scary is OK... but most kids love it as good triumphs over evil and you get to sit down for the show. If you think it might be too scary then go for Wishes twice.

When our daughter was 2 we obsessed over whether she would be scared by the loud noises... decided to go... and... she slept through it.

I would skip Fantasmic. And I usually do!
Waiting for an hour with a thousand people crammed into an alley to be squished like sardines on hard metal stadium seating for another long wait for the show to start. It's an interesting show but I've seen MANY young ones scream in terror throughout the show (another reason I tend to skip it).

Definitely stick with Wishes and Illuminations!!

My votes are for Wishes and Fantasmic.

Wishes (at the Magic Kingdom ) - has amazing fireworks, and Tinkerbell flies on a zipline from Cinderella's castle. The whole thing is set to Disney's when you wish upon a star. (Very nostalgic )

Fanstasmic - is wonderful. There are fireworks, live action, huge animatronics, characters on boats, and projections on water screens. It is amazing and my favorite. There is a part where Mickey's creations quickly become nightmare's and the villains take over. These nightmares could become a childs too but my sister was okay seeing them at 4. I would tell young children in advance that there is a scary part and if they become scared they can close their eyes and hug on tight to you. Or give then a wand or mickey hat and tell them as long as they are wearing the hat/wand the nightmare's won't harm them because mickey is sharing his magic. It still is too wonderful to miss.

Illuminations - was really boring to me. Other than a floating lighted huge globe that opens, I didn't see anything different than 4th of July fireworks in a big city.

Wishes and illuminations are the two real firework shows,Fantasmic is more like a show and at least for me gets pretty boring.Fantasmic is like 30 minutes long of which about 20 minutes of it are boring water screens showing old Disney movies,it does have some nice parts and is worth seeing if you've never seen it before but it's not something I can see countless times without getting bored of like I have with Wishes and especially Illuminations which I have probably seen 300 times.Another negative for Fantasmic is that you have to get in line for like 30-45 minutes before to wait to get seated,unlike the other two which you can find a spot 5-10 minutes before and still get a great view.

I agree with this except with a slightly different view.

OP if you are just looking for a traditional Fireworks show there is only one at WDW and its Wishes.

From there Illuminations has far less but still enough and of course huge balls of fire and other effects.

Fantasmic has very few and is more of a stage show and do agree that film projection on water screens doesn't really do it for me. Its supposed to be Mickey's dream/nightmare but to me its more like Mickey's disjointed acid trip. I really don't get it.

Now for people that don't get Illuminations look it up on Wikipedia. To describes how it is a show done in three acts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IllumiNations:_Reflections_of_Earth

My order is what ever the projection show is called now (mostly since its new), Wishes and Illuminations all pretty much the same with Fantasmic a far fourth.

Wishes and fantasmic..Illuminations is better IMO for a slighlty older crowd, fantasmic is just plain fun! If you can do a dinner with fantasmic ticket you can get slightly better seating for slightly less crowd...

Wishes, of course.

For children, I'd suggest Fantasmic. It is more a show with a story. Something that they can follow, that makes some sense.

Illuminations - Even I get a little bored by the slow part in the middle. Can't imagine a child enjoying it.

If you choose Fantasmic, make sure your kids have seen Pocahontas, as it is well represented during the show. Ours thought Captain Hook shooting Indians was kind of strange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter