Which ABD is the best to try for first timer?

Here's a good place to get info on river cruises. We just got back from an 8 day river/canal trip in Holland and Belgium. The boat setup is really nice.

cruisecritic.com

Are some months more preferable than others to travel there?
In December they will have Christmas market cruises, which can be a unique trip.

I would avoid August since that's when many Europeans will take long holidays, so you might find shops are closed and other sites have reduced hours.

January to March will have the fewest tourists but it's also cold and grey in a lot of places.

In December they will have Christmas market cruises, which can be a unique trip.
I'll second the Christmas Market Cruises. We did one on Viking sailing from Budapest to Zurich and really enjoyed our experience. Plus, every year when we decorate for the holidays we have some nice ornaments to help us remember the trip.

Are the rooms on the boat nice?
The rooms on the ships are *VERY* nice. They are, in general, smaller than the cabins on ocean cruise ships, as the entire boat is smaller due to having to fit through locks and under bridges. But AMAWaterways' cabins are amazingly well designed and organized, and they do not feel small. It's one of the nicest cabins I've sailed in, and the showers are basically full-sized! Almost all cabins except for those on the lowest level have at least a French Veranda, which means the outer wall of the cabin is a massive sliding glass door (with a railing for safety) that opens up, and you sit in a little seating area just inside. To me, it's just as nice as a true Veranda.

Are some months more preferable than others to travel there?
ABD only runs their Rhine River cruises in May - October and then December for the Christmas Markets. Personally, I'd choose May or October for milder weather. It can get really hot in July and August will have European vacationers as @jimmymc said. But I went in July and still loved it.

Sayhello

I would pick a place you always wanted to go to and that is not easy to do on your own. You are paying quite a premium price for ABD, spend it on something you need outside help with.

Going to the big cities in Europe like London or Paris are very easy to do on your own. Big tourist places with loads of flights, good transportation within the city, lots of things to do within walking distance. I wouldn't pick something like this for an ABD.

The Disneyland ABD can get you into places you can't access on your own.

Last edited:
We just booked Costa Rica for our first ABD in Feb 2024. Kids will be 9 and 13. This one has been on our list for a while. We were waiting for the youngest to be old enough and then covid hit, but I think it will be even better with them being a little older. We're really excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter