Where to get a drink with our kid?

blabbermouth

DIS Veteran
We are considering our first cruise on the Wonder to Alaska. Typically on vacation we like a nice happy hour drink and snack and my daughter (5) will color and have a lemonade etc. (only child lifestyle, ha!) Is there a place where that would work? From what I can see anything bar-ish does not allow kids?

The pub on the Wonder is the Crown and Fin. Unless a scheduled adult only activity is going on during the day, children are welcome until 9 PM. The Promenade lounge is open to all in both the afternoon and the evening.

The French Quarter Lounge (which used to be called the Promenade lounge) is open to all ages all day and night. They do offer happy hour drinks some nights from 10-11 but kids are still more than welcome to be there as well. But you can get a drink from the bar there all day long.

The cruise ships bars are open for all ages up until around 9pm. They don't all have snacks though, that is usually just the sports bar. Plus being on a ship, you can always take your drink back to your room, or anywhere else on the ship. You don't have to sit at the bar with it.

In addition to the above suggestions, you could also get drinks at the pool deck and snack on the poolside dining options that are open. You will not be able to sit in the adult bar (Signals) with your daughter, but you can order them and bring them elsewhere to sit. We were just recently on the Fantasy and there were two pop-up bars poolside; not sure if the Wonder has the same setup.

Haha, jinx, @CamColt!

The French Quarter Lounge (which used to be called the Promenade lounge) is open to all ages all day and night. They do offer happy hour drinks some nights from 10-11 but kids are still more than welcome to be there as well. But you can get a drink from the bar there all day long.
That is also where many of the "craft events" are held too. Not sure if it returned, but they also had open snacks there, chips and salsa was one of the favorites.

Our go to was the French Quarter lounge for afternoon drinks when we were on the Wonder last summer. You can look out the Port holes to see the Alaska scenery and my daughter loved that they had a local Louisiana brewed cream soda on the menu so she felt like she was getting something special too. They also gave us free little bowls of a snack mix that we all enjoyed with our drinks.

We are considering our first cruise on the Wonder to Alaska. Typically on vacation we like a nice happy hour drink and snack and my daughter (5) will color and have a lemonade etc. (only child lifestyle, ha!) Is there a place where that would work? From what I can see anything bar-ish does not allow kids?
I will also mention that the family game shows and trivias are fun places for a small gamily to have a drink and a snack and do something fun together. They don't usually have snacks available, but you can grab a snack from the pool deck and enjoy that while participating in one of the game shows or trivia events.

Oh thank you! That makes more sense. When browsing the ship layout when you click on the lounges they all say "good for: adults" which led me to believe they were adult only!

Great news! When I was browsing the ship layout and looking at the bars they all said "good for: adults" so I assumed them to be adults only.

Great news! When I was browsing the ship layout and looking at the bars they all said "good for: adults" so I assumed them to be adults only.
I believe the only area that was adults only during the day would be the Cove Cafe and the adult pool area. Oh and any adult only paid event like the Mixology or wine tastings. Those are held in places like the Cadillac Lounge that are normally open to kids before 9pm.

Is 9pm an actual policy for all the After Hours area venues? We were in Keys on the Magic (same as Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder) with our 15-y.o. daughter at about 7:30 for some pre-dinner drinks. She was being very well behaved -- actually she was being silent because she was so nervous about being in the adult area for the first time, even though we assured her it was ok. The server there very politely informed us that this was an adults-only bar and she would have to leave. I think it was implied that Keys was 18+ only at all times. The poor kid was so embarrassed, and I felt like an idiot.

Our go to was the French Quarter lounge for afternoon drinks when on the Wonder last summer. You can look out the Port holes to see the Alaska scenery and my daughter loved that they had a local Louisiana brewed cream soda on the menu so she felt like she was getting something too. They also gave us free little bowls of a snack mix that we all enjoyed with our drinks.

Is 9pm an actual policy for all the After Hours area venues? We were in Keys on the Magic (same as Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder) with our 15-y.o. daughter at about 7:30 for some pre-dinner drinks. She was being very well behaved -- actually she was being silent because she was so nervous about being in the adult area for the first time, even though we assured her it was ok. The server there very politely informed us that this was an adults-only bar and she would have to leave. I think it was implied that Keys was 18+ only at all times. The poor kid was so embarrassed, and I felt like an idiot.
On the Magic/Wonder, Keys/Cadillac lounge are adult only all the time (it gives adults an inside place to be without kids, but I don't think it usually opens until 5pm?). The sports pub is family friendly until around 9pm. (I'm not sure what space is adult only on the Dream/Fantasy...maybe Meridian, Skyline and Ooh la la?) I'm sorry your daughter was embarrassed though, it was an honest mistake, and most of the other people in the lounge shouldn't be upset if she left without a fuss after learning that it was adult only. (And honestly most other people can't tell the difference between an 18 and 15 yr old if they're well behaved.) Another easy mistake to make are the adult only activities that take place in D lounge (or other usually family friendly areas) during the day, usually the staff tries to stop people as they're entering (if they have enough staff to do that.). In 3 yrs she'll be able to enter all the adult only spaces both with AND without you. It goes by quickly...both my kids were adults this year (18/22). We missed out on a last Vibe cruise for my youngest due to 2 cruises cancelled during the pandemic. They had fun together in the adult spaces though!

The French Quarter Lounge is very family friendly. Our kids even went there without us to listen to some jazz before dinner the night we were in Palo. Also in Fathoms (the nightclub type space) we went to see a magician performing my son got a lemonade, I got a wine.

It's been a while since I was on the Wonder, so I'm not sure about what free snacks you can expect in French Quarter Lounge. But they used to offer beignets for an extra charge, as well as specialty sodas like root beer, cream soda, and bubble gum or cotton candy drinks.

It's been a while since I was on the Wonder, so I'm not sure about what free snacks you can expect in French Quarter Lounge. But they used to offer beignets for an extra charge, as well as specialty sodas like root beer, cream soda, and bubble gum or cotton candy drinks.
She was asking me this morning before school when would she ever be able to have cotton candy again 😆 so I will tell her about that haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter