Where To Buy: Saratoga or BWV

lancelotweb

Earning My Ears
Wife and I are trying to decide what DVC hotel to buy into: BWV or Saratoga. We prefer staying at the BCV, BWV or Wilderness Lodge when we visit Disney. So we thought we might want to get into the BWV because of that 11 month window ... but when looking back, we rarely ever make reservations 11 months out ... most of the time it is more like 4-6 months out. So for the immediate term I cannot see much value in the 11 month window. Which made the Saratoga attractive tous since you get some nice incentives and it lasts 12 years longer.

So here are my questions we are hoping you all have some opnion on:

1) Do any of you have experiences where the 11 month window truly made an advantage to you over a 7 month window?

2) Is the additional 12 years at the Saratoga a good thing or a bad thing? That is 12 additional years of dues payments to make.

3) Any other factors we should consider?

Thanks in advance.

If you see your booking pattern continuing to be 4-6 months then the 11 month window offers no value to you.

You should really examine if DVC is right for you at all. Right now SSR has late availability, but with all the added members, once completed, even SSR is going to have limited availability at less than 6 months.

Especially if you want to string a number of days together during busier times which are normally off season times for DVC.

If you choose to proceed, I would choose SSR. Why pay BWV dues when most likely you will end up at one of the larger resorts because you book so late.

1) Do any of you have experiences where the 11 month window truly made an advantage to you over a 7 month window?
Yes it is can be a big advantage depending when you visit. In the low seasons it really makes no defference but try to get F+W or the holidays and you might get lucky but probably not. The basic rule here is buy where you want to stay, you'll see it a million times on this board by op who can not get what they want.

2) Is the additional 12 years at the Saratoga a good thing or a bad thing? That is 12 additional years of dues payments to make.
Don't really get the logic of this question if you feel it's not worth the dues than why buy in at all? You get 12 more years of vacations at only the price of dues! You can always sell or just stop paying and default on your ownership. Even with only 12 years left I bet you will get a decent amount for your points. In my case those 12 years kick in when I'm 86 years old, maybe I'll be able to use a few of them. If not I'm sure grand kids will be able to take thier kids. Wonder what tomorow land will look like?

You said you like to stay at BCV, BWV or Wilderness Lodge. For us location was an issue. If you are spoiled by being in walking distance to Epcot and MGM, I'd consider BWV. We just got back from Saratoga Springs a week ago (our home resort is BWV). Although the resort is beautiful, convenience is more important to us. We did stay there because we had points in holding and could only book 60 days out. SSR was the only DVC that had availability. We did waitlist at BWV, BCV and WLV but nothing became available. SSR is very spread out and depending on where your room is, you could have a long walk to the pool, the Turf Club, and the store. Downtown Disney is close though and not a bad walk at all. And, the extra 12 yrs don't matter to us - we'll be in our early 80's. I think it's all personal preference. I do have to say though we've been very happy with our purchase. Please don't let one bad post sway you. Disney, for the most part, does a wonderful job with upkeep. The people who don't take care of things in their own home certainly aren't going to take care of something that isn't theirs, and we can't change that.

We chose the BWV over SSR because of the location. And we just love it. :cloud9: But another benefit is that is cost less points if we choose to go with a standard view instead of a boardwalk view. IMHO, I think BWV is the best value (low points and great location). Also, when you do chose to have a boardwalk view its fantastic and worth every point!!

As long as you book before the 7 month window is up, you chances of getting what you want would be good. from 11 months till 7 months and 1 day only BWV members can book rooms there so you are only competing with BWV members. However, once the 7 month window is up, it will probably be harder due to BWV location.

The extra 12 years can be good and bad. Who knows what the MF will be in 2040- I'm sure they will keep pace but then again how old will you be in 2040 and will you be going to Disney. When we chose the BW over SSR the extra 12 years didn't really matter too much as I'll be 76 by then. YIKES!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter