where do you stay?

margot31

DIS Veteran
So I now might go ahead and pull that trigger to take a weekend trip alone. But where to stay?

While I could stay on property the times I am looking (December) there is very slim pickings for my budget.

Looking at the disney springs hotels since they offer some kind of bus service.

Opinons? I could drive as I am an AP but I don't like the idea of having a beer or two in epcot and driving at night in a area I am not all that familiar with (day time I am fine).

So where do you stay?

Stay on site. Go ahead and spend a little extra!

The dates I am looking at just one night for what is available is over 400...my husband would just laugh at me and say nice try. I need this to be reasonable enough since i am a stay at home mom and he brings the paycheck.

I cannot offer opinion on you and your husbands financial situation. If you cannot spend the money then ignore my opinion.
So where do you stay?
I stay on site. But (as you point out) there are DS resorts that offer shuttles so if that fits your budget better then that seems like a great choice.

In your case, I'd stay offsite budget and use some of the extra money that will free up to get an Uber or similar back from Epcot.

In your case, I'd stay offsite budget and use some of the extra money that will free up to get an Uber or similar back from Epcot.

I am looking to do offsite...i was looking for more recommendations vs just stay off site or on type answer.

I am looking to do offsite...i was looking for more recommendations vs just stay off site or on type answer.
I'm so sorry. I didn't get this from your original post or the title of the thread.

Last year my niece stayed at Wyndam in DS because it was cheaper than staying on site while we were at POFQ. They loved it and the price fit in their budget.
Check out the B Resort. Always lower prices and there is transportation and you can enjoy the Extra Magic Hours. That is where I would stay if I were staying off site.

Personally I often have a free night at Marriott so I tend to stay at their properties. There are 2 newer hotels, a Springhill Suites and TownePlace Suites at Flamingo Crossing, which have free breakfast, but there is nothing else there beyond the hotels as far as restaurants, etc. There are lots of places in the I-drive area. There is a forum here on Orlando hotels which may help - https://www.disboards.com/forums/orlando-hotels-and-attractions.15/

We looked at the Doubletree on Hotel Blvd - it was close, our past experience with Doubletrees have been favorable and the rooms offer a lot of space.

I'd also recommend checking to see if any points can be rented for a DVC property. When we looked into that it was only slightly more expensive than the Doubletree.

We looked at the Doubletree on Hotel Blvd - it was close, our past experience with Doubletrees have been favorable and the rooms offer a lot of space.

I'd also recommend checking to see if any points can be rented for a DVC property. When we looked into that it was only slightly more expensive than the Doubletree.

Not a bad idea but it’s at Christmas time and so much tends to be booked but I’ll check.

Personally I often have a free night at Marriott so I tend to stay at their properties. There are 2 newer hotels, a Springhill Suites and TownePlace Suites at Flamingo Crossing, which have free breakfast, but there is nothing else there beyond the hotels as far as restaurants, etc. There are lots of places in the I-drive area. There is a forum here on Orlando hotels which may help - https://www.disboards.com/forums/orlando-hotels-and-attractions.15/

We've stayed at the Springhill at Flamingo Crossing, which is right at the end of the Western Way entrance and have been very happy with it.

But...as with any offsite location, I would recommend driving. Offsite hotel shuttles can be unreliable and take a lot of flexibility out of your schedule. One exception is the Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels, that have dedicated shuttle route that runs much more continuously than most of the offsite hotel shuttles.

On the other hand...many are using Uber/Lyft successfully to get out of and into offsite locations AND I saw a post from the SpringHill/TownePlace at Flamingo Crossing that Minnie Vans are going there now, so that's another option.

We stayed at seralgo one year. Real nice and had a shuttle to Disney parks.
We had a great time. Had special rooms for kids and a nice pool. Real cheap too. It sure what is now. It in 2011 we paid like 45 a night

Is there nothing at all at Pop or the All-Stars? Is this right around Christmas? Just know that this is literally the busiest time of the year. The Disney Springs hotels are nice, and if their bus transportation isn't what you need, you can always walk to DS and pick up a bus there. It's a bit more of a hike now that they moved the bus loop though, but it's still an option.

Is there nothing at all at Pop or the All-Stars? Is this right around Christmas? Just know that this is literally the busiest time of the year. The Disney Springs hotels are nice, and if their bus transportation isn't what you need, you can always walk to DS and pick up a bus there. It's a bit more of a hike now that they moved the bus loop though, but it's still an option.

So I am going in Dec if I go. I am aware of how busy it can be when you go at christmas but looking in the beginning...which pop warner is there. This would be my third trip in Dec. The kicker is compared to my past trips i can only go on a weekend due to child care restrictions. In the past I swing a few weekdays which tends to open up more on the resorts. I can drive since I am an AP and free for me. I was in general trying to avoid driving but i'll do it if i really have to.

I put the off-property hotels into two tiers. The A tier (e.g. the DS area hotels) are comparable in experience to staying on-property. The B tier tend to be farther away and can be inconvenient if you don't have your own vehicle.

Make sure you look at the total price per night rather than just the room rate. Once you add in the resort fee, the A tier tends to be close in price to an on-property room. While the B tier can be cheaper, if you are not careful you may end up paying more than staying on property.

If you are an AP, make sure you check for the pass holder specials on rooms.

So where do you stay?
If I'm not staying onsite, here are some others that I've liked:

Wyndham Bonnet Creek (landlocked by WDW property on three sides, I-4 on the fourth, closer to parks than some Disney resorts)
Sheraton Vistana (just East of property off Epcot Center Drive, really nice units)
Vacation Village @ Parkway (1-2 traffic lights at most to any park, not luxury, but comfortable)

I've also considered Silver Lake, which is just off the SW corner of property, in the NW corner of 192 and Sherberth Road.

Any of those would be close enough that driving is easy. For nights you might want a BEvERage, have Uber, Lyft, or Mears do the driving.

So I am going in Dec if I go. I am aware of how busy it can be when you go at christmas but looking in the beginning...which pop warner is there. This would be my third trip in Dec. The kicker is compared to my past trips i can only go on a weekend due to child care restrictions. In the past I swing a few weekdays which tends to open up more on the resorts. I can drive since I am an AP and free for me. I was in general trying to avoid driving but i'll do it if i really have to.

So your looking at the weekends?? friday to sunday or monday??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!