Where can I get real Kona Coffee ?

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
I know at the Poly in the Kona Cafe and I believe ohanas.. but is there a smaller ( QUICK) coffee shop also there that serves it?? My mom and I want to try it, but dont really want to invest time and TS service credit for Kona/Ohana

I believe that Kona Island coffee bar in the Polynesian offers it in the morning. Kona Island is a quick serve coffee shop.

You need to go to Kona Café or Ohana's and order the press pot. At no location is it served by the cup.

I'm fairly certain that Kona Island serves the Kona blend, not 100% Kona or that was my wife's understanding when she tried in May. You can purchase a bag of 100% Kona beans whole or ground from the island for around $40, but wary of doing this or you might find yourself ordering a bag monthly from Joffreys.....its so good.

Kona Island serves Kona blend which is still very good... the only way to get 100% is the press pot...
If you do not want to spend the time try Kona Island but it is not open all day do not know exact hours other than it is open in the morning.

Yep, the Kona Island does the true press pot! They will put it into cups for you when it's done brewing (the process takes about 7 minutes, just fyi). We stayed at the Poly in June and had a press pot "to-go" every single morning.

As proof, here's a picture of the Press Pot being featured at the Kona Island case.

You can order a pressed pot of 100% Kona at the Kona Island Coffee Bar
. . . we do not do ANY pressed pot at Disney
. . . none of the eateries prepare it properly
. . . . . . they do not make a coffee-grounds-slurry before completely filling with hot water
. . . . . . they do not provide a 4-minute timer
. . . excess time in pot does not make coffee stronger, just more bitter (it cannot sit around the table un-pressed)
. . . . . . if people want strong coffee, add more grounds, not more time
. . . . . . if people want weak coffee, buy instant
. . . and, at approx. $7 per pot, I want the coffee properly prepared

I'm fairly certain that Kona Island serves the Kona blend, not 100% Kona or that was my wife's understanding when she tried in May. You can purchase a bag of 100% Kona beans whole or ground from the island for around $40, but wary of doing this or you might find yourself ordering a bag monthly from Joffreys.....its so good.
. . . yes.
. . . we like Kona Coffee, but as mentioned above, one needs to be mindful of blends versus 100%.

Reactions: fbb
You should give Kona Cafe a try for breakfast. It's worth taking the time yo eat there and order the press pot!

. . . . . . they do not make a coffee-grounds-slurry before completely filling with hot water
. . . excess time in pot does not make coffee stronger, just more bitter (it cannot sit around the table un-pressed)

. . . yes.
. . . we like Kona Coffee, but as mentioned above, one needs to be mindful of blends versus 100%.

The coffee is freshly ground every morning and carefully measured into the press pot. Water that has been tested for temp is put into the pot, stirred and then the remainder of the water is added. It is timed for 7 minutes before being pressed by cast. Kona has the 100%, the Kona blend as well as Kona blend decaf

Thinking the cafe looks cute and has alot of pastries. We are arriving one nite staying at AOA before heading down to cape coral. Maybe we'll stop by the poly. Try the cafe and do a quick monorail tour. If this doesnt work out, I'll keep our Kona ADR when we return a week later for the long disney trip. We would love to try Kona for food too, just a matter of not enough hours in the day for ADR and our park to-do list. Problem is wanting to hit water parks before them parks.

Now if I could get a cup of this coffee at typoon Lagoon, that would be perfect!!!!

Ps. Is the coffee really good. ??? We are strong coffee drinkers

The coffee is freshly ground every morning and carefully measured into the press pot. Water that has been tested for temp is put into the pot, stirred and then the remainder of the water is added. It is timed for 7 minutes before being pressed by cast. Kona has the 100%, the Kona blend as well as Kona blend decaf

In a partial defense of the Scupper, we have noticed variability in the many, many times we have had the press pot at Kona (I'd say at least 50 times now), sometimes it's really good, other times not so.

. . . yes.
Thinking the cafe looks cute and has alot of pastries. We are arriving one nite staying at AOA before heading down to cape coral. Maybe we'll stop by the poly. Try the cafe and do a quick monorail tour. If this doesnt work out, I'll keep our Kona ADR when we return a week later for the long disney trip. We would love to try Kona for food too, just a matter of not enough hours in the day for ADR and our park to-do list. Problem is wanting to hit water parks before them parks.

Now if I could get a cup of this coffee at typoon Lagoon, that would be perfect!!!!

Ps. Is the coffee really good. ??? We are strong coffee drinkers

Well if you mean you actually like starbucks black coffee, then I don't know if you'll like it or not. I can't stand starbucks, tastes like burnt feet to me. Kona is just really silky smooth.

. . . coffee is freshly ground every morning . . . the remainder of the water is added. It is timed for 7 minutes before being pressed by cast

{ I do appreciate your comments and experiences, but }

1) Alas, therein lies two problems (pressed-pot coffee is not an art, but a reliable science).
. . . a) the coffee should be ground after the water has been brought to a boil; quality coffee, does not keep well throughout the day
. . . b) the brewing time is excessive
2) Coffee cannot tolerate a brew time of 7-minutes, as it will become bitter.
3) I know of no one who recommends more than a timed 4-minute pressing brew cycle.
. . . this includes many "Kona Experts", including Kona Joe's
4) And, one should only make enough coffee for which one can drink within 10-minutes of pressing. *
5) Again, it becomes bitter if left in cup or pot . . . TIME is always the enemy of good coffee.
6) I do not believe the staff is accurate enough to assure the brewing time, serving time, and resulting drinking time.

* NOTE: When a staff member presses the pot, there is no way to assure the time it takes from pressing to drinking. CM's can be disturbed or have to do other duties which interrupt the brew time and/or the overall 10-minute cycle. And, any delay (even caused by long walks to the table) can result in poor coffee quality. I cannot envision a dedicated CM standing around with a timer for 7-minutes with several pots during meal serving period. Disney does not like idle hands. So, if the CM is performing another duty, including merely pressing another pot, the process can be lengthened and the coffee quality endangered. This does not count the possibility of the CM rushing the brew time because there are too many orders for pressed-pot-coffee.

{ I do appreciate your comments and experiences, but }

1) Alas, therein lies two problems (pressed-pot coffee is not an art, but a reliable science).
. . . a) the coffee should be ground after the water has been brought to a boil; quality coffee, does not keep well throughout the day
. . . b) the brewing time is excessive
3) I know of no one who recommends more than a timed 4-minute pressing brew cycle.
. . . this includes many "Kona Experts", including Kona Joe's
4) And, one should only make enough coffee for which one can drink within 10-minutes of pressing. *
5) Again, it becomes bitter if left in cup or pot . . . TIME is always the enemy of good coffee.
6) I do not believe the staff is accurate enough to assure the brewing time, serving time, and resulting drinking time.

* NOTE: When a staff member presses the pot, there is no way to assure the time it takes from pressing to drinking. CM's can be disturbed or have to do other duties which interrupt the brew time and/or the overall 10-minute cycle. And, any delay (even caused by long walks to the table) can result in poor coffee quality. I cannot envision a dedicated CM standing around with a timer for 7-minutes with several pots during meal serving period. Disney does not like idle hands. So, if the CM is performing another duty, including merely pressing another pot, the process can be lengthened and the coffee quality endangered. This does not count the possibility of the CM rushing the brew time because there are too many orders for pressed-pot-coffee.

we actually never rely on our server to press ours, our timers start when we see it coming and then we cut it a little short.

we actually never rely on our server to press ours, our timers start when we see it coming and then we cut it a little short.

1) That is the way it should be.
2) The diner should have the timer.
3) There are simply too many factors that can cause the time to expire to be incorrect.
4) But, it was stated that the brew is timed and pressed by cast . . .

It is timed for 7 minutes before being pressed by cast

tea is complicated too... leaving the bag or leaves just sitting will ruin many teas.. I also thought green tea was bitter.. turns out the kind I was using only had a 2 minuite brewing time.. then it tasted like jasmin!

rule is take those tea bags out!
ps. now we really have to go and try this coffee. seems more like an experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter