When you're too cheap to buy the Grand Floridian monorail playset

AtomicFrog

Always up for WDW
I've been piecing together monorail playset items for my wife, and for us to use at Christmas time. It's crazy how expensive the Grand Floridian, Haunted Mansion and Polynesian are.... So I decided to try and build my own version. It's about 1/3 done and I have to make a bunch more columns, railing, windows, and some roofing and paintwork, but I think it's coming along. This and the Poly don't look hard to make, but I don't think I can replicate the Haunted Mansion...

This is just a layout, most of this is not glued together or permanently installed yet.

See UPDATED pics below

Attachments

• tempImageHwYZw3.png
    tempImageHwYZw3.png
    808 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I wonder why they would even bother offering the random Haunted Mansion as part of the monorail set, though? As a playset, sure. But not for the monorail.

Your model looks good, are any of the parts in your model 3D printed?

Your model is awesome! During the pandemic I made a monorail out of cardboard boxes, just something to do. Your version is MUCH better. I love it!

What type of tools are you using to make it?

Will you share pictures when it's done? I'm so curious to see the final product :)

Your model is awesome! During the pandemic I made a monorail out of cardboard boxes, just something to do. Your version is MUCH better. I love it!

What type of tools are you using to make it?

Will you share pictures when it's done? I'm so curious to see the final product :)
So i used a Cricut to cut a lot of the detail parts and trim, a lot of X-Acto miter box cuts for fitting trim and cutting balsa and basswood, and used my full size chop saw and circular saw for all of the main columns and floor/roof panels…. Hope you like it

Attachments

• IMG_8772.jpeg
    IMG_8772.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8777.jpeg
    IMG_8777.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8778.jpeg
    IMG_8778.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
Your model looks good, are any of the parts in your model 3D printed?
I’m getting a 3d printer next, but this is all basswood, balsa and paper card stock… except for the flower pots, they are from another play set…

I’m getting a 3d printer next, but this is all basswood, balsa and paper card stock… except for the flower pots, they are from another play set…
You are doing nice work with the traditional modeling materials. :) I have been looking at a "3D printing for model railroad" page with some nice structures and hope to try printing some building parts soon. Please keep us posted on your progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter