When was the last time you went to Disney when it wasn't crazy busy?

KellyHonos

DisneyDivaxo
Serious question: When was the last time any of you can recall being in the parks when it wasn't packed in like sardines? The last 3 times I've gone (New Years Eve 2013, Summer 2016, Summer 2018), it's been incredibly busy. Granted, those are "peak" times, however, I'm hearing that peak season is basically all the time now. Do any of you recall the last time you went where it didn't feel so crowded? How many years ago would you say the parks began being crazy busy? Or has it always been this way? I started going in 2000 when I was in kindegarten, so I don't remember the crowds back then. Interested in your answers!

Literally the 90s. Back then the summers were packed, but during the off-season (which was a real thing at the time) you could shoot a canon ball down Main Street and not hit anyone.
Very interesting! I wish I could remember back to the early 2000s when I went for my first times. I don't recall it being super crowded, however I was 5 so my memory of that time is probably not the best.

Serious question: When was the last time any of you can recall being in the parks when it wasn't packed in like sardines? The last 3 times I've gone (New Years Eve 2013, Summer 2016, Summer 2018), it's been incredibly busy. Granted, those are "peak" times, however, I'm hearing that peak season is basically all the time now. Do any of you recall the last time you went where it didn't feel so crowded? How many years ago would you say the parks began being crazy busy? Or has it always been this way? I started going in 2000 when I was in kindegarten, so I don't remember the crowds back then. Interested in your answers!

Last time they weren't packed? Summer 2018, summer 2017, summer 2016, summer 2015. Seriously. I suppose this is all going to depend on your perspective, but it's rare that we're "packed in like sardines". IMO that is very rare. Typically only in the hub around fireworks. Otherwise, summer crowds have been great. Xmas 2017 and 2015 were very busy, but we expect that.

It's the most popular tourist destination in the USA and most popular theme park on planet Earth. You kinda have to expect some sort of crowd, no matter when you go.

Last time they weren't packed? Summer 2018, summer 2017, summer 2016, summer 2015. Seriously. I suppose this is all going to depend on your perspective, but it's rare that we're "packed in like sardines". IMO that is very rare. Typically only in the hub around fireworks. Otherwise, summer crowds have been great. Xmas 2017 and 2015 were very busy, but we expect that.
Fair enough. My sister and I did all we wanted to do when we went the past two times during summer, however, I'm more so referring to the days people talk about being able to look down main street without a sea of people being there! I personally have never experienced that, from what I can recall.

Fair enough. My sister and I did all we wanted to do when we went the past two times during summer, however, I'm more so referring to the days people talk about being able to look down main street without a sea of people being there! I personally have never experienced that, from what I can recall.

Go at 8 in the morning on a day that the park opens at 9!

I don't think you can even count NYE.
Its literally the busiest time of the year so it should be expected and no complaints should be made.

Ok with that said here's my experience.
I have noticed that the last few years (I'd say 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) I've definitely notcied an increase in people at the parks.
People doesn't always mean long lines though which is one thing I find very odd.
I'll be walking through a sea of people and yet can walk on most rides with little wait.
It seems like people are going more to wander around and look at the parks than actually ride the rides.
I will say though my most recent trip a month ago MK had some seriously long lines for things that are usually walk ons like Under The Sea. It was 60 minutes at one point. My sister and I grabbed a 4th FP+ for it and walked right on. Philharmagic was 25 minutes so at least 2 shows so we grabbed a 5th FP+ and went in the next show.
Meanwhile at about 3:30pm at Epcot the same day there was literally NO ONE at bag check. Not an exaggeration and I should have taken a pic lol.

Now to get right down to the heart of the question I'd say my "good old days" for low crowds you'd have to go all the way back to December 2007.
HOWEVER with FP+ I get so much more done now than I ever did with legacy FP so again it really doesn't matter to me how many people are physically in the park as long as I get in what I want.

When we went to DW for the 2014 Marathon weekend in January I felt like the parks weren't very crowded at all. The last few trips have definitely seen an uptick in people, but I've also gone during different months, Feb, April and October.

"Crazy busy" is subjective, depends on the person and their expectations. My friends and I are "go with the flow" and went 3 times last year: late April, late June/early July, late September. We get there early most days, take an afternoon break, return in the evening. Use fastpass as much as possible. We were fine. We loved MK After Hours on 6/30, highly recommend if you want the "empty park" experience.

Sept or Oct of 2014, can't remember which month exactly but that's the timeframe. Rainy season crowds would reliably disappear after 5:00 during the storms. We had some wonderful trips in the Fall season throughout the 2000s, very little wait times at MK (I'm talking under 15 mins, but often walk-on) if you were willing to wait for the rain to pass. The heavy afternoon storms used to drive people away in droves until Happily Ever After started. Now it seems that everyone is sticking it out and staying to watch no matter the weather or time of the year.

The people who did not visit WDW before (i'll say 2010) would not really know how "not busy" it was back then. The newer ones that just started within the last 5 years would think that a "very busy day" from the late 90's, early 20's would be almost empty in today's standards. I remember we would go to MK in the 90's and we literally did almost every ride and some over and over again, saw a show, ate and be walking out the gate before night time.

First 2 weeks of November, 2013. Best trip ever, for crowds. Downhill since then, to where we are not going to return in 2 or 3 years, if ever.

Any year the week after Labor Day. Practically have the parks to ourselves

My BFF who I've gone with a number of times including the week after Labor Day 2012 went with her family the week after Labor Day 2018 and said it was much more crowded people wise this time. The MNSSHP she went to was sold out which definitely seemed odd since you wouldn't think it would be that crowded but clearly it was.

I've gone the days leading up to Labor Day 2016, 2017, and 2018 and this year was definitely more crowded people wise.

As I mentioned in my PP though it seems like more people but it doesn't equal longer lines oddly.

I don't think our last trip, which was the last week of October, was crazy busy. We weren't wading through a sea of people and could get fast passes for almost anything we wanted. Epcot was a little crowded for F&W but not crazy. The biggest crowd we encountered was the halloween party on the night of the 30th. That was most people I've personally seen in MK. We are headed back for spring break in April and I'm curious to see what crowds will be like then. I'm hoping most will be waiting on Star Wars Land for their trip but it will probably still be packed.

Day after Labor Day, several years ago.

Yup, I remember talking to the manager at B&C. He told me that in the summertime, the guests would run over to B&C after Illuminations, to try to get there first. He said that the day after Labor Day, after Illuminations ended they all prepared themselves for....nothing. Now I go in September if I can. F&W is open, and it's quiet compared to October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter