When the kids are no longer children...do you keep going to WDW??

You don't have to have kids to love Disney. Dh and I don't have kids, have APs and go as much as possible (with a couple of Disney cruises thrown in for good measure). We have been going to WDW for 25 years - kid-less!

We took our sons when they were younger, but now they don't go anymore. We took our DGDs to WDW last Sept for their first trip, may take them again in 2014.

We leave in 3 days for AKL to celebrate our 46th anniversary. I plaan to keep coming as long as our health holds out!:hug:

We go to Disney every year and so far our "kids" are still going on the family trip and they are 29 and 26. We just got back 3 weeks ago from our latest trip. We know each trip that it may be the last family vacation since they have significant others and love to travel with them. That being said, we will take as many trips with them as they want and even when they don't want to go any more we will still be going. We take other trips during the year and, as I said, our DD and DS travel a lot during the year to the places they want to go to. We have done trips to disney without the kids that were in addition to our family trip.

Haven't read all the replies but will add my own to the original question.
My children range in age from 26 to 45 and the grandchildren from 4 to 25. I will be at WDW with DS 26 and DGDs 25 and 4 the beginning of Oct. DD 45 will be there the last weekend in October to attend the eat to the beat concert with SIster Hazel. Disney step daughter age 37 tries to get there once a year. DS 26 has become as much a WDW fanatic as I can be at times although for a few years he was sort of wishy washy about it. Once his DD was born he couldn't wait to take her. DH and I will be going on our own several times while we are at our Florida home for the winter. So with our without children we will be at Disney but it seems that even though they are grown they will be going to WDW too.

Just checking in and saw this post. Our sons are now 22 and 20, and we have been going about every 3 or 4 years since they were 6 and 4. DH and I went by ourselves last year for our 25th anniversary. We loved it so much, we will be going back this year by ourselves again. We still plan on going back with the kids next summer, assuming they can get off work/school, but we look forward to more trips by ourselves too!

We go more now than when the kids were young (now 23 and 24)! Maybe it is the fact we only have to pay for 2 of us! :rotfl2: Our kids when through the "were too cool for Disney" phase when they were in their teens. They now admit they always enjoyed it but thought they weren't supposed to. My youngest is in her 1st year of teaching and my oldest has a full time job and is will be graduating with his Master's in May. DH and I are going in December by ourselves and were planning a tip in April that we now have to move to October when DD has her fall break as they are tired of us "leaving them behind while we go to WDW without them". So all hope is not lost for future family vacations.

If my kids did the eye rolling thing, I'd probably book a trip for DH and myself, and leave the kids on their grandparents' farm. A week or two of working in the garden, taking care of the chickens, and mowing and raking the 2 acre yard should work wonders on that attitude. :lmao:

My first family trip my sisters and I were 9, 13, and 15. We have been hooked ever since. Now, all three of us are in our twenties, and always attend the family disney trips. We pay for some of the trip (flight, resort, and some food expenses) and our parents pay the rest. For some reason, the 'been there, done that' never crosses our mind with disney, with other family trips, yes. If my parents are willing to pay for our disney obsession, I'll ride this for as long as I can.:scratchin
:rotfl:

We are in our 50's and we are going after Thanksgiving for a couple of days. Enjoy the Christmas decorations. The experience going as adults without children is different. We do WHAT WE WANT TO DO! :rotfl:
Our first visit was some 21 years ago when when went with a six WEEK old, a 4 year old and an 11 year old. Been visiting ever since. Not every year...but often enough.
We actually just visited the Gulf coast in August with the entire family (including nieces and nephews) and still we spent a day visiting Hollywood stuidos.

Disney is NOT all for kids. in fact I would say there is more to do for adult than kids. We went twice a year for 10 years b4 going with our kids.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

YEP

It is completely a different experince, take the time to see and do things that you didn't with the kids, walk at a leisurely pace, hold hands, enjoy because sooner or later you might have some grand kids then it starts all over :rotfl2:, signature dinning, cocktails around epcot.. Have fun be a kid again, and the memories of the kids being with you will come back. Sleep in, enjoy the resort. Go and Have a magical time...:thumbsup2

My kids are now all in their 30's.
DH and I go every year for our anniversary...... no better place to be for fine dinning, pools, shopping. My DH is not as fond of the parks as I am so I will "sneak" away for a fix ( annual pass ) while he relaxes at the hotel.
Its perfect and we love it!:thumbsup2
ps
Going to the MNSSHP with DD (31) in October and we can't wait!

My dh and I go alone every year! The kids are grown with their own families, the youngest is 17 and still at home but he can do WDW every couple years and be happy.

Our touring has definitely changed. We go with DxDP and spend a good portion of the time trying new spots to eat! We only go in Dec when it is the two of us, so we spend a lot of time just enjoying the scenery. Normally the only time we go to MK is on the day we do the MVMCP.

We are now starting to have grandchildren old enough to come alone with us. We are excited to take the 2 6 yo this Dec. Our touring plans will not be the same!

Kelly

We have always taken trips without kids and with kids, so them getting older did not change anything.

We will still go without children, but probably not every year. We enjoy it....but at some point we'll probably just want to hang out at a nice pool at a nice resort LOL and not worry about crowds or roller coasters...etc.

We don't have that problem with our 20 year old DS; WDW is one of two vacations where he will still go with dear old mom and dad (the other is the North Shore of Lake Superior in MN). To his great disappointment, we have gone on our own. We still hit the parks but we started to include many other things to our WDW vacations.

We now make the resorts a big part of our vacations. We spend much more time relaxing at them, dining, swimming, wandering the beautifully landscaped grounds, people watch, reading in the lobby (GF, WL, POLY are perfect for this), slow down more to shoot lots of pictures, DTD, eating at resorts that we are not staying at. WDW will always be a destination for us.

DH and i are going for our annual F&WF trip sept 26th (27yo DD and i went in may).
i think adult vacations are MUCH more leisurely...i lay by the pool (margarita in hand) quite a bit, we play pinbal in the MK arcade, ,inigolf, stroll over to DHS just for TSM FPs and to watch a few street shows, or to EPCOT for a grey goose slushie, maybe soarin', and browsing thru shops (LOVE morrocco!), eat and shop offsite some days.
we make very few ADRs, and just decide our plans depending on our mood - very difficult to do with children, where days are filled with go-go-go, ropedrops, going on every attraction and feeling like down time is wasted time :(.
btw, we are meeting up with about 4 other couples this trip - all of whom are sans children for the trip.
so many families come home from a WDW trip saying they need a vacation from their vacation - we come home rested and refreshed :goodvibes

(btw, i've been all over north america, and quite a bit of euurope - WDW is where we can just relax).

Hi,
Our son, now 19, has been to the World aroud 14 times. The 2 last years he stayed home because of school, we just took our daugther who's now been there 15 times.
This year it is just the 2 of us, they are both staying home (because of school). Our son had a little bit of the attitude been there done that, but this year he would be ready to go back. Our daugther definitly still wants to go. A couple of years ago in a waiting line a man starting talking to me he said that he was there for the first time with his granchildren, he went to Disneyland as a boy, he went with his wife as a couple, they went as a familly with their children, went back as a couple and now with the grandchildren. Every trip was good for different reasons. I guess that's the Disney magic!!!

I stongly believe, the kids in you familly will start having interest in Disney again, sometimes they just need a little break... In the mean time go alone as a couple and experience things you did not do with the kids... ;):)

1990 to 1992 Off site
1994 and 1995 Off site
1998 and 1999 Off site
2000 to 2003 All star Sports
2004 to 2011 Pop Century

September 2012 DH and I for our 1st alone trip
Can’t wait to check inn at the POP!!!

Our DS is 18 and he shows no signs of becoming weary of WDW. On our last trip, he said, "I'll never be too old for Disney." Later on, he added, " I wouldn't bring my kids here until they were five, so they can really appreciate it...Maybe I'll have girls and they can wear the princess costumes.":lovestruc

So yeah, we'll probably continue to visit WDW with him. I can't wait to go with my future princess granddaughters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter