• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When furniture stores say "6-8 weeks", what do they really mean?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
We ordered furniture 4 weeks ago, and I would LOVE to have it next week before a lot of out-of-town company comes. What are my chances? When they say "6-8" is 8 the worst case scenario and it really is usually closer to 6 or even earlier? Or is it normally closer to 8? Or is there no normal?

What are your experiences?

We ordered a sofa and love seat from Lazy Boy, if that makes a difference.

The last place we ordered from said 3 weeks and I think it was 3 months. It is a small, family store and the items were mis-ordered the first time. Hopefully you will have better luck than we did.

Denae

When we bought our sofa from La-Z-Boy they said 6-8 weeks and delivered in 4-5.

Ethan Allen said 6-8 and delivered in two several times! Even the piece they said would be up to six months came in about 10 weeks.

Good luck!

Anne

When they said '4-6' they meant months not weeks.

Seriously, I would bank on the longest amount and then add a week or 2. If it shows up at the shortest amount then you are happy. So many things can go wrong when ordering anything that has to be made and shipped to add to the time.

We ordered a sofa and chair from Lazy Boy a couple of years ago and got it very quickly.

Ethan Allen said 6-8 and delivered in two several times! Even the piece they said would be up to six months came in about 10 weeks.

Good luck!

Anne

We had good luck with Ethan Allen but it wasn't an upholstered piece. Whenever we have chosen upholstered pieces it has taken the full ten weeks as promised. They usually call to arrange delivery.

There is no normal, to be honest. We have had furniture come and had to refuse it.

You really get into trouble when you order sets. ;) I always ask for it to be delivered all at once. Because if a snag happens, I will be able to cancel the order.

You have to understand that ALL furniture is coming from overseas now. It really can be a problem as far as time of delivery.

We had good luck with Ethan Allen but it wasn't an upholstered piece. Whenever we have chosen upholstered pieces it has taken the full ten weeks as promised. They usually call to arrange delivery.

We actually got some of our upholstered pieces in under weeks! Right after Christmas we ordered an ottoman from EA for our bedroom, and couldn't believe it when they called under three weeks later to schedule delivery.

Case goods have almost always come in two weeks.

Anne

There is no normal, to be honest. We have had furniture come and had to refuse it.

You really get into trouble when you order sets. ;) I always ask for it to be delivered all at once. Because if a snag happens, I will be able to cancel the order.

You have to understand that ALL furniture is coming from overseas now. It really can be a problem as far as time of delivery.

This is simply not true. A lot of furniture is still made in the US. Of all of the EA furniture in my house, only some hand carved pieces of one piece were made over seas, and the rest was assembled here in the US. The furniture making industry is still a major employer in North Carolina.

Anne

Anne

This is simply not true. A lot of furniture is still made in the US. Of all of the EA furniture in my house, only some hand carved pieces of one piece were made over seas, and the rest was assembled here in the US. The furniture making industry is still a major employer in North Carolina.

Anne

Anne

Right the pieces are being made overseas, which is what you just stated.
:confused3

allot depends on where the store is-and where the manufacturer is.

when i worked at a store we gave the same amount of time for all orders, but if it was one of the manufacturers that was closer or delivered to us on a more regular basis we might get it faster. with allot of the big guys since they were located in the mid west (and we were in california) it took longer, and they bundled orders so while it might only take 4 weeks to manufacture, they only sent us deliveries every so many weeks.

Right the pieces are being made overseas, which is what you just stated.
:confused3

I should have been more clear. On ONE of the pieces of furniture, the handcarved sections were made overseas, then shipped to the US for assembly with the rest of the piece. That's one out of over pieces of Ethan Allen furniture in my house. Based on the time it took to deliver, I think I'm safe in assuming that the rest was all made in the US. Go read their Annual Report, 65% of their furniture is assembled in the US with US sourced raw materials. I highly doubt they are lying to the SEC about their manufacturing processes.

You stated that all furniture is made overseas That statement is completely incorrect.

Anne

OKAY...most furniture is being made overseas.:lmao:

Better ;)

I have no idea whether or not it's true, but honestly, I've never stopped to check where anything (aside from our Amish pieces, which are obviously US-made) was manufactured.

As far as the OP, I agree with those who said it really all depends on the store -- most of the time, we've found that they're fairly accurate within the ranges they've given us.

OKAY...most furniture is being made overseas.:lmao:

It really depends on where you are buying the furniture. Sure, if you go to Odd Lots or Rooms to Go, you're right, it's most likely made overseas.

If you buy Ethan Allen, Thomasville, Stickley, etc., you will not be able to prove your statement.

Anne

Expect 6-8 weeks, could be a little more.

Up until a year ago my mom owned a furniture store. They would tell people 6-8 weeks on regular orders and 10-12 on custom orders. Without fail some people wouldn't get it and would call after 3 weeks yelling and screaming that their furniture wasn't it. She would have to stay calm, and remind them to look at the terms on their paperwork. A lot of it had to do with shippers, they won't ship until they have a certain amount of stuff on the truck.

I am not talking assembly, most of the handcarving is done overseas now.

Which is why you might have to wait awhile on some pieces.

I have a friend in the biz and she says the work is better!!!!:scared1: Shame on her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter