When during cruise do you buy placeholder?

MAmama78

First time cruiser in 2020
We are taking our first ever cruise in Feb. If we like it, it may become a more regular occurrence. (FIL enjoys cruising and sailing from Florida is a way for him to travel without flying, which he hates.) When during the cruise would we need to decide about buying a placeholder? We want to be sure it is something that DH, the kids and I enjoy before buying a placeholder. Thanks!

Last edited:
Since placeholders have to be used within 24 months of when it is originally booked, a lot of people wait until the very end of the cruise to book the placeholder - to maximize the time they have to use it. We usually aren't that tight with our timelines so we book earlier in the cruise to avoid lines and the chance it gets overlooked in the last minute rush.

I hope you enjoy cruising! I agree that the lines get longer toward the end of the cruise, so, if you decide to do a placeholder, earlier is better. However, I think you can just put the information in a box, and not spend time with the agent.

We usually pick a specific cruise, so we do visit the desk to pick a room.

If you are JUST doing the non-specific-cruise placeholder, there are tear-off sheets you can complete and put in the box on the desk up to the time the desk closes on the last night. You don't even have to sit down with them or worry about the lines.

The lines are only an issue if you are booking a specific cruise.

We book our placeholder as soon as the desk opens during the cruise to get it done. By doing it early we do not have to wait in long lines waiting to get it done.

The lines on the last night of the cruise can be INSANE. I always did that and always resented wasting so much of my last night waiting in line. If you are booking a non-date-specific placeholder (which is what we always do), then save yourself the trouble and use the dropbox! The morning of the last day of the cruise is a great time, so you can still get confirmation before you leave the ship.

The lines on the last night of the cruise can be INSANE. I always did that and always resented wasting so much of my last night waiting in line. If you are booking a non-date-specific placeholder (which is what we always do), then save yourself the trouble and use the dropbox! The morning of the last day of the cruise is a great time, so you can still get confirmation before you leave the ship.

How do you get confirmation before you leave the ship? Your account? We have not done the drop box because I have been too scared to chance someone missing one, and that being mine....

How do you get confirmation before you leave the ship? Your account? We have not done the drop box because I have been too scared to chance someone missing one, and that being mine....

I got an email from my TA that she had gotten notification a few days later (after the cruise...which gave me a few extra days) - plus I saw the deposit come out of my account.

So regarding the placeholders on the form do you have to put who you intend to cruise with/can you change it? Cause as much as I love DH I might want to ditch him and go with my sister or something.

I got an email from my TA that she had gotten notification a few days later (after the cruise...which gave me a few extra days) - plus I saw the deposit come out of my account.
But can you see any confirmation before you get off the ship? That is my fear, that someone does not process it and then calls to DCL end up "out of luck" was not booked on board.

But can you see any confirmation before you get off the ship? That is my fear, that someone does not process it and then calls to DCL end up "out of luck" was not booked on board.

Mine was not processed until a couple of days later, so no. It was NOT a problem. And definitely saved time that would have been wasted in line to give the agent a card when you can just drop it in the box.

I've done placeholders several times and agree with above advice to drop it in the box the last day. Prior to my most recent one the confirmations always went thru in a couple of days...this last time (in July) it took 10 days! I was just about to call DCL when I decided to check my credit card website one more time and there it was...$250 charge from DCL....confirmation email followed within the hour. Looking at the silver lining, the delay gives me even more time to book that placeholder!

I didn't know about the drop box option so I talked to someone the night before the last night trying to avoid the lines. It wasn't busy at all then...but they'd already hit my account for tips so I was a little short in my onboard account (loaded with a gift card) and couldn't finish. She did everything but take my CC so it would be quick on the last night and she snuck me in line because she knew all she had to do was take my card. They did start a thing through the app that you basically get in line through the app and it's supposed to notify you when it's almost your turn. They also have a board showing the names in line to see how far down you are if you're waiting. It was a little annoying to talk to the woman because she was trying hard to avoid the placeholder and push me to pick a cruise. We didn't know what we wanted to do so I insisted on the placeholder. I'm not sure why she was so pushy. Next time I'll just find the drop box!

We are taking our first ever cruise in Feb. If we like it, it may become a more regular occurrence. (FIL enjoys cruising and sailing from Florida is a way for him to travel without flying, which he hates.) When during the cruise would we need to decide about buying a placeholder? We want to be sure it is something that DH, the kids and I enjoy before buying a placeholder. Thanks!
I book it on the last day, to maximize the dates I can use it, and show up at the desk as soon as it opens, to avoid a long line.

Is the cost of the placeholder credited against the cost of the newly booked cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter