When do you start packing?

We're not going until November, but I already have a small bag that I've put a few random things into.

We don't leave until the end of September but I have already started a box for misc. stuff. I like to buy those extras, sun tan lotion, rain ponchos, batteries, etc.. so I don't have a big expense right before we leave. I am also one who cleans my house, does all the laundry, makes sure the yard is perfectly manacured, the dog has a bath, go to the store to buy food to take, and the cars are all clean before we leave on vacation. I took 1/2 the day off on the friday before we leave so I can get everything done. It's the same reason I spend months planning our trip and then when we get there we mostly just "wing it." (except for ARD's. We always plan for these) Makes me happy and after being married for almost 28 years my husband just sits and smiles while I'm fantically doing everything.

We leave in 18 days.:banana: I have had my suitcases pulled out for weeks. I have my packing list ready. I have to buy a few small things including a new bathing suit for DH. Then the Monday before we leave I will start laying the clothes out on the pool table(dont tell DH). This will be my first time packing for a trip without DH here, who is in the ARmy and packs everything so tight. And he is prepared for everything. so just a little nervous about forgetting something. But it will be ok because we will be at DW!

Lets see..., we leave on Thursday which means I will pack tomorrow night.

Never have seen a reason to pack to far in advance. I have a list that I use each time and add and remove things as necessary. It won't take long.

I am a compulsive packer but I always run around last minute lol. We are flying so I'm afraid I'll overpack:( Usually we drive.
My youngest never sleeps in his room, always with us or his brother so I'm getting out suitcases this weekend and throwing in the odds and ends I've picked up so far. i wish I was a cleaner lol. I usally come home to a scattered house because of all the things i've gone through at the last minute! LOL! Maybe this trip will be different!!

A month before the trip i start on the first of many packing lists alter it to what I really need buy everything make shirts and then about two days before I leave I start to put everything into my suitcase.

I am continuously packing, from one trip to the next.

We have two large Rubbermaid "Disney" bins. Whenever we return from a trip, many items (Disney visors/hats, messenger bag, annual passes, Tevas, matching Disney t-shirts etc.) go straight into the bins (well the shirts do after they get washed).

Also, anytime I come across anything that would be good for our next trip, I toss it right into a Disney bin.

By the time our next trip rolls around, I hardly have to hunt down anything for our trip, as most items are in the Disney bins.

I leave everthing on the hanger and throw it in the car.Underwear,socks ect. get put in a big duffle bag with my toohpaste,toothbrush ect. I usually just pack in the morning before leaving to meet my mom at the resort.This is the cool part about living in Florida and working at WDW!!!:ccat:

Usually 10 days to 2 weeks we start getting it all together, and making sure we have everything on our checklist
We have revised it and now we bring things that we need without bringing stuff we don't need and never use
We also put our Disney stuff in a rubbermaid bin when we get home so its always in the same place (sunglass straps, fans and misters, small umbrella, poncho)

The second the trip is booked, the suitcase goes to an easily accessible spot in my closet/corner of the bedroom so I can start tossing stuff in. Anything I'm going to buy for the trip- toiletries, clothes, new shoes, etc- all get bought waaaay in advance otherwise I spend a fortune right before I leave.

This also includes books I will read on the trip- I usually pick 1-2 special trip books that I'm extra excited about and toss those in the bag.

I like having 4-6 months to "shop" around for the trip. I'll find little things, or new clothes, and toss them right in hte suitcase. Right now I've got a new tshirt and a new tank top purchased with a coupon at Kohls that I won't wear til the trip- it's so fun having new things at Disney! AND keeps me from spending a fortune once I get there ;)

I'm heading out Oct 18th, and I'll probably start packing the rest of hte clothes a couple weeks ahead of time.

Also, I'm with the group who loves coming home to a clean house! I clean like crazy before the trip!

I have a box set aside that I have specific items for our trip in - misters, etc. I keep a list of the items I need to pack when I think of them or read about them. :goodvibes

Otherwise, we get the suitcase out a few days before and start packing.

I have always been a heavy packer, but I am determined to not pack that heavy this time.

I am a compulsive packer but I always run around last minute lol. We are flying so I'm afraid I'll overpack:( Usually we drive.

A trick I heard years ago was to pack, then take half out. This has worked well for me. I tend to take many "just in case items." I think this is a good option for anyone who does select specific outfits for each day. BTW- when I have applied this principle, I have actually still had items that I did not wear or need.

My cleaning habit drives DH NUTS!!!! :rotfl2:

Of course, he thinks I get a little bit carried away with it but in a good way ;)

He won't dare make the mistake of yelling at me for it again after I went on a cleaning strike once.

we are leaving in about 18 hours, I guess I should think about getting the suitcases out soon and start packing. Seriously, we usually pack about an hour or two before we leave unless its really early in the morning and then we pack the night before.

I am going to start packing about a month before, which would be the middle of next month. It won't be the stuff we use all the time. That stuff I will pack about 1 to 2 weeks before.

We are going Thanksgiving weekend, and in CT it's very cold at that time so all my summer clothes are usually in the attic. So my plan is to start packing in September when I usually put away my summer clothes. I have also already started collecting H&B items.

We leave in 13 days.:yay: Got some stuff laid out on the bed. This weekend we'll get toiletries and I'll probably sneek in a new outfut for myself and DH. I don't finish packing till we go out the door, usually with arms full of stuff. Good thing we drive.

I have already started to clean the house. From the top to the bottom. It is so great to come home to a clean house!

I read about the tote and I had to chime in.

We leave Aug. 2nd @5AM.
On May 1st I started filling ONE tote, by last week it became THREE overflowing totes, so I got the suitcaes out. I have been just filling them up with non-clothes, non-food items (like park stuff, emergency kit, glow bracelets, swim gear, etc...) daily. They stand in a corner of my 20-month daughter's room.

So I guess my answer is... 2 months out! :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter