When do you put away the Christmas decorations?

When do you put away the Christmas decorations?

• Dec 26

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Between Dec 26 and the 31st

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Jan 1 or 2

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Around Jan 8 or so

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.8%

• Total voters
I'm going to start packing away some things this week but leaving up the tree for another week or so. We have a big beautiful forever tree and it makes me happy to see it lit up and the memories on the ornaments. Every day I take a few moments of reflection with an ornament to remember that person or place or trip and gives me sense of love. I'm loving my Nativity area and may leave it out until Lent this year.

I was complaining to a friend one night a few years ago about how I always miss something seasonal that seems to show up shortly after all the boxes/bins are heaved back into the attic. She told me she doesn’t even start taking down her Christmas stuff until March and generally puts her things back in the attic when they get the Easter stuff out. She takes it all down slowly and then really doesn’t miss anything. I like that idea, but I hate having all the boxes/bins laying around cluttering the house.

Ours will come down today. I'm going to keep a few things where I can easily access them before next Christmas. I'm planning to have everyone over for Christmas dinner as soon as it's safe. It might not happen until summer or fall, but it will happen! We're going to make a nice dinner, take out the Christmas china, have a few decorations and a fun gift exchange. I'll turn up the A/C so we can start the fire and wear our tacky Christmas sweaters. We might even have an Easter egg hunt!:rotfl2:

Most years around the 4th or 5th but this year we are doing it today. We had our tree up really early this year and are ready for the living space back.

Usually early January as I like looking at the decorations, but this year was the 27th. My brother and nephew are here and the tree took away some seating and tv views. So it was just easier to take it down for the room. While I was doing that, just figured we’d take everything down. I did get it up in early November though so we enjoyed it the same amount of time as usual.

I tend to get just a tad bit depressed right after Christmas. I've found it helps to take the "ripping off the Bandaid" approach. I sit and enjoy the tree lights with a cup of cocoa and Christmas music for one last time on the night of the 25th, then turn the lights off before I go to bed and they never go on again. I get up early on the 26th, and within hours all traces of Christmas have been packed away. We spend Boxing Day boxing up Christmas! I find that it's easier for me to cheer up and move forward when I'm not surrounded by Christmas stuff after it's over and gone. I clean the house, clear out the junk food, and try to get optimistic about the new year coming.

This year was a little different. I'm not really sure why; I just didn't feel the pressure to clear it all away as soon as Christmas was over this year. I still felt a little depressed, but the Christmas stuff didn't seem to be affecting this. Maybe it's just that everything was different this year.

I have most of it boxed up now, though, and it'll all be gone by the end of the day.

Always the day after. Sometimes earlier depends on the year. We have a few early January birthdays so I like to create some Christmas separation for them.

Usually New Years Day. Today we took down outdoor window wreaths and all the decorations inside but have decided to leave the tree up another week. It is an artificial one and we like the white lights at night. I also switched the fireplace mantle over from Christmas to Winter decor and have lights left up there as well.
Here in New England it can be cold and gray a lot in January and February so we like having the cozy white lights in all winter.

We don’t take the Christmas stuff down until after Epiphany. Then it’s usually all down and packed away by the following weekend.

Has anyone else heard about the effort to keep all Christmas lights up through the end of January to support first responders and hospital workers during the pandemic?

I voted "other" because I do it in stages. So far, I've switched my dishes back to the normal ones, and I am slowly collecting dish towels and stuff as they get washed. But the tree is still up, and Santas and Snowmen still out.

The outdoor lights stay on the timer until Jan 6th. After that, I normally shut them off, and then actually take them down on the first convenient day (weather and timewise) after that. But I'd definitely be willing to participate in this:
Has anyone else heard about the effort to keep all Christmas lights up through the end of January to support first responders and hospital workers during the pandemic?

if my neighborhood is into it! I love Christmas lights in the dark New England winter!

I didn't put any up this year. I live on my own and no one was allowed to visit indoors this year except Christmas day (which I spent at my sisters) so I couldn't be bothered with it all. Next year I'll go all out if we can have get-togethers again.

We usually take it down the week after New Years, but I think this year is going to be different. First of all, we are taking DD back to college next weekend, so the preparations for that will preempt the Christmas tree.

Secondly, our solid waste folks pick up trees curbside for free. They do it on a schedule, and this year our dates are Jan 25-30. So I'm thinking we will probably wait until Jan 27-28. That sure beats getting my car all messed up taking it to the disposal site. The solid waste dept then shreds all the trees and has free mulch pickup at several locations for anybody who wants it.

Around mid-January, usually.

I honestly do not understand the people that put up their Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving (or earlier) and then tear everything down Dec 26. I mean, whatever floats their boat, I guess, but I don’t get it. Are they “burned out” from putting up decorations so early?

Ours will probably get packed up on Monday, my next day off. I didn’t do much in way of decorations this year so it won’t take too long to get it all put away.

We are putting them away right now. I'm taking a break to eat lunch. This year my entire family is helping at the behest of my DH so it's much easier and less stressful.

I usually start some time between 1/1 & 1/6 (Epiphany).

We have TONS of Christmas decor, &, if I don’t start taking everything down until 1/6, then it’s usually around 1/8 or so before everything‘s completely put away.

Our DD’s bday is 1/5... some years, we’ve had all the Christmas put away before her bday, &, some years (especially in the last 10 years or so), we leave it up for her bday since her bday is technically the 12th day of Christmas.

Growing up, my mom always put away the Christmas decor on 1/1, so, when DH & I were first married, I tended to carry on that tradition.

However, in the last 10 years or so, we’re gradually changed to more of a Epiphany tradition. I learned that the 12 days of Christmas begins on 12/25 & ends on 1/5 & thought it was kinda neat that our DD was born on the 12th day of Christmas.

Put it all away today after breakfast.
It makes me sad to have it up after the holidays plus I want it done before I go back to work.
Outside lights will stay on for a few weeks as the days are short and dark,

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter