When did you know it was time to sell?

Well that is annoying. They are very high point rooms too. I can see them being more desirable for families.

I’ve wanted to own Grand Floridian since it was released the first time. We couldn’t get ourselves to pay the premium in price or points. When they said the new rooms would all be hotel rooms, my dream died. We stay in 1-bedrooms most of the time (just the two of us) and I know all those hotel room points would make getting a 1 bedroom hard. We were able to book a 1 bedroom end of February 2023 for 5 nights at exactly 7 months out. I was able to use my resale BLT points. So we can still stay there without owning.

I did buy because we normally do the 1 bedrooms and once all those new points are in the system, I didn’t want to chance getting that with my SSR points like I have been.

Now I will be using those new points to reserve at 11 months instead, and won’t have to worry if there is an impact on those other rooms sizes once the resort sells out.

I did buy because we normally do the 1 bedrooms and once all those new points are in the system, I didn’t want to chance getting that with my SSR points like I have been.

Now I will be using those new points to reserve at 11 months instead, and won’t have to worry if there is an impact on those other rooms sizes once the resort sells out.
Good luck getting your desired reservation. You would hope owning would let you. I’ve started walking to get what I want, even at my home resort.

Reports I am reading are rooms with no balconies and room views that did not meet the booking criteria. Already reading posters saying they are one and done.
No balconies! That's a deal breaker. Lots of hotel rooms have fridges and microwaves and no balconies off site. None have a monorail I'll grant you, but balcony sitting morning and evening is one of the things I love about the DVC rooms.

No balconies! That's a deal breaker. Lots of hotel rooms have fridges and microwaves and no balconies off site. None have a monorail I'll grant you, but balcony sitting morning and evening is one of the things I love about the DVC rooms.
There is another DVC resort that doesn’t have balconies. I can’t remember, but Is it the Poly converted rooms?

There is another DVC resort that doesn’t have balconies. I can’t remember, but Is it the Poly converted rooms?
All DVC Poly rooms have either a patio or balcony. The hotel rooms on the 2nd floor do not have balconies.

I think it’s only a small number (8 or 10?) of the 202 BPK studios that do not have balconies. Most of them do have balconies.

I have owned for 20 years and am starting to think it is time to sell.

I am at that point in life where my kids are no longer kids. It has become extremely difficult to find times where all four work/school calendars line up for family vacations. Vacations have become shorter and generally spur of the moment as the stars just happen to align.

In the short term family vacations will be even less of a thing as my two young adult children make their own way in life.

As a result our recent WDW trips have actually been cash trips staying either on or off property but not at DVC properties because the trip has been so last minute there is no availability or due to poor planning points got banked and then could not get borrowed due to the recently expired borrowing rules. I can do one or those every year just with the monthly dues payment money.

For those that sold some or all of your points, did you regret it?

My concern is what happens when/if grandkids appear but I don't see that happening for 3-5 years at the earliest. I guess I have also kind of tired of WDW after 20+ years of many trips a year and just don't see the same value as I did 20 years ago.

I am at that point in life where my kids are no longer kids. It has become extremely difficult to find times where all four work/school calendars line up for family vacations. Vacations have become shorter and generally spur of the moment as the stars just happen to align.

In the short term family vacations will be even less of a thing as my two young adult children make their own way in life.

As a result our recent WDW trips have actually been cash trips staying either on or off property but not at DVC properties because the trip has been so last minute there is no availability or due to poor planning points got banked and then could not get borrowed due to the recently expired borrowing rules. I can do one or those every year just with the monthly dues payment money.

My concern is what happens when/if grandkids appear but I don't see that happening for 3-5 years at the earliest. I guess I have also kind of tired of WDW after 20+ years of many trips a year and just don't see the same value as I did 20 years ago

My concern is what happens when/if grandkids appear but I don't see that happening for 3-5 years at the earliest. I guess I have also kind of tired of WDW after 20+ years of many trips a year and just don't see the same value as I did 20 years ago.
We sold and bought back in 3 times. The kids are grown and hopefully grandkids will be at round soon. It’s easier to hang on if you don’t have a loan. All you pay is the annual dues and if you rent your points you make a profit. Take your time with your decision.

I did sell a few years back and regretted it. Bought again. Now own resale at AKV and direct CCV (previously owned BLT bought at rock bottom prices in 2010 and REALLY regret that sale). I get your point though, my kids are teens and it's already becoming difficult to schedule so far out. But my husband and I do enjoy going by ourselves so I'm going to hold on for awhile this time and see how it goes once college hits.

I did sell a few years back and regretted it. Bought again. Now own resale at AKV and direct CCV (previously owned BLT bought at rock bottom prices in 2010 and REALLY regret that sale). I get your point though, my kids are teens and it's already becoming difficult to schedule so far out. But my husband and I do enjoy going by ourselves so I'm going to hold on for awhile this time and see how it goes once college hits.

And mine's a senior in HS this coming year. We feel the same way and that's why we're trying to hang on to see also.

BTW, I'm still holding to 245 founder's points at BLT. I wish I had bought 500. Seriously.

My line in the sand would be if they would ever get rid of Happily Ever After. That show is always the highlight of my trips. But I'm safe. They would never replace it with a generic show with with no storyline and no soul.
I can't wait for my next trip. 🤫

VGF2 really left a bad taste in my mouth, and the low pricing on VGF, which I still don't understand.

It's gorgeous sure, but my VGF2 experience was a beautiful construction nightmare. Even without construction, they didn't bother to swap out the doors and there's a giant gap to the hallway, you can hear everything next door. AND they didn't put grandma next door. These rooms were going to be my home base, but I can't even rely on that. If VGF pricing hadn't taken a beating, I would be selling my VGF. I think I am going to sell my SSR while the getting is good, after I finish my trips and see where VGF pricing goes after sellout and the Poly2 price hike.

I think I had a fantasy in my head that maybe no one else did. After someone important to me flaked, and Grandma was meh on the whole thing (VGF2 didn't help), I realized maybe this isn't worth the money and hassle. This is EXPENSIVE, and it really doesn't seem appreciated. We got our money's worth, I have been happy with what I was able to book. I enjoyed the process and using DVC. But reality is I will be moving on sooner than I expected. Maybe a couple more big trips, renew APs one more year, maybe two. I can see the end, and I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter