When did DL security become so tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my memory is correct, there was a mass shooting or something near WDW in 2016 after which security at both theme parks got tightened. At DL, the security expanded to include DTD. The protocol has been adjusted slightly a few times since then but I don't think think the security protocols really changed much since COVID compared to that major change.

If you regularly go to Disney parks outside the US, then yes, Disneyland is more strict, especially compared to the Asian parks.

I don't mind the bag check but I do wish Disneyland used the scanners like WDW uses. I thought at one point DIsneyland had them or tested them. Does anyone know why the scanners like WDW has aren't used at DL?
I heard from a security guard that they didn’t think they were as good at catching stuff as the current system. They’ve tested them at least twice since summer 2020 at Disneyland.

I just got back from Disneyland yesterday after 5 days of being there. I think it's sad we're at the point of needing drug/bomb sniffing dogs at security. When did that start? After 9/11? I'm almost 43 and have been to Disneyland 20+ times. I have NO memory of those dogs at security when I was a kid. I also have no memory of when they started. Other than that, I had a fabulous time. I wasn't ready to leave, though my feet felt differently. Lol.
I could see them really wanting to keep out drugs. People do plenty of stupid crap and I could easily see them thinking it would be funny to do drugs while at the park.

Exactly. Disney is one of the top 10 targets in the United States.
This has probably gotten significantly worse in the last several months. Any time you rile up an ideological group against a perceived enemy, and accuse said enemy of actually being bad for children (the audacity), the concern for whether or not someone is going to get attacked intensifies tenfold.

FWIW the security at Disneyland Paris is a *significant* step up from the US parks. They inspected the car that brought us to our hotel, all luggage & packages we brought back to our hotel had to go through scanners prior to entry into the hotel *every time* we returned. We went through security upon our first arrival at the hotel. LOTS of visible security personnel everywhere: from the hotels, shuttles, DTD etc. Extra security into the Downtown area or entry into the park... We had to fill out security paperwork prior to our arrival at the hotel.

I've also personally witnessed a couple of guests trying to bring in concealed handguns into Disneyland. They were pissed that they weren't allowed to bring them in but Disney security didn't budge. They were told to take them back to their cars (I guess both times they were not staying on property).

I could see them really wanting to keep out drugs. People do plenty of stupid crap and I could easily see them thinking it would be funny to do drugs while at the park.
Don't tell people, but they aren't looking for drugs. They are looking for explosives. I love when someone is high and the dogs scare them from entering security.

I love the muzzled Malinois they have. Why is he muzzled? Cause he likes to LICK. And someone mistook it for trying to bite them, so they use the muzzle to keep his tongue to himself. But he is a sweetheart.

The ones in Florida looked pretty hot these last couple of months. I know how they feel.

The ones in Florida looked pretty hot these last couple of months. I know how they feel.
In CA, they rotate them every 2 hours or so.

They also make sure the dog gets a "hit" about every hour. If there has not been a hot, they will ask someone going thru to put a scent rag in their back pocket so the dog can get a hit (and toy and praise). My daughter always wants to be the one to get to hit on by the dog.

They also make sure the dog gets a "hit" about every hour. If there has not been a hot, they will ask someone going thru to put a scent rag in their back pocket so the dog can get a hit (and toy and praise). My daughter always wants to be the one to get to hit on by the dog.
Awww. I'd love that!

OMG, to me that would be the same excitement as getting the 'red tag' from an attractions CM to help 'time' the queue.

I'm easily excited I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter