wheelchairs at resorts

maroney495

Mouseketeer
I posted this on the resort board and they suggested I may get better help from here. How about it??
resorts & wheelchairs
Our upcoming trip has had many difficulites, the latest being the passing away of my father last week after a two and a half year battle with lung cancer. DH is insisting that we still go next week as he says I need the time away. Out of six kids I am the only one living near my Mom, as she hasn't been alone for over 56 years I am trying to get her to come with us. She has never been to DW or even to Florida and is afraid she will not be able to "stand up" to the walking. Finally to my question: it seems I remember that some of the resorts have wheelchairs that you can use?? We do have my dad's that we could bring but it does take up lots of room in the van. We are staying at the ASMu. I know we can rent one at the parks, but I had to pay air fare for DS and wife to come for funeral so money is tight so thought it might me worth a shot. Anyone know if they are available, and if I could inquire about use of one when I do my room request?
Thanks

I'm sorry about your father but best of luck getting your mom to relax and enjoy the vacation.

The resorts do have wheelchairs for guests to use. The only down side is that sometimes they are all out and other times they don't have one that would be comfortable for the user.

The chairs are free for your length of stay, but you have to let them scan your credit card for a deposit. As long as you turn the chair back in you get your receipt back and your credit card is not charged.

I'm sure Sue will be along in a few minutes to give you a list of the off site companies that you can rent from.

Also, if I was in the same situation I would look into renting an ECV, scooter, from one of the off site vendors. It is so nice to have a little freedom in regards to where you go. When someone is pushing you, you have to go where they go. When you have a scooter your more independent and if you see something you want to look at you can.

I agree, rent a ECV! I took my 78 yo grama last month and rented one from Walker. We had it for 5 days, but they only charged me for 4 (we got to the resort late Thurs afternoon, so no charge) and it only cost $120. Grama loved it so much that she's looking into getting one for home (she has Parkinsons). She defiantely would not have been able to make this trip without it.

We did get a wheelchair at the resort, but they did not take an imprint of my credit card. They already did for the room fee, I guess. The first one we got had been from EPCOT, so it was not the kind that folds up. I turned it in a couple of days later for the kind that does fold, so i could take it in the car when we went to WL for dinner (did not want to lug the scooter for that).

Good luck and have a great trip! I have to get back to work!

Three weeks ago I used a wheelchair from the BC for a couple of days. The first chair was very wide, and we exchanged it because we had trouble fitting through some spaces. The second chair was almost too small, but was our only other choice. If I'd been a couple pounds heavier, I couldn't have fit into the chair! So selection can be limited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter